Airfix 2019

jenko

51 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That is true VMA however looking at Arma prices for some of there other kits, an approx 9-10 Euro for their Junior kits with limited PE would not be far off what Airfix would sell theirs for. I agree about the distribution channels as adding postage to every non mainstream manufactures kit always makes me think twice. Sitting on a shelf at my LHS in a nice Red box always tends to burn a hole in my pocket and the wallet can't come out quick enough!! 

Let's see how Airfix responds, however you'd have to agree that whatever size the pie once was has now been nibbled at a fair kit. 

Cheers.. Dave

For sure the interest for the new metall ving Hurricane would make new distribution channels.

And the upcoming movie "Hurricane" would make more interest. Airfix maybe missed an opurtunity here?

Cheers / André 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Andre B said:

And the upcoming movie "Hurricane" would make more interest. Airfix maybe missed an opurtunity here?

They didn't!  There are many, many other subjects that Airfix could tool with (like everybody else) their limited resources..

There seems to be a general belief that 'I want it, so it would sell (because I want it to), so Airfix should tool it'

The fact that that they are not tooling it enables them to tool something else.  Something larger, beyond the capabilities of the 'sidestream' manufacturers.  Too many to name.

If an accurate tin wing Hurricane is 'wanted/needed' (some would say that the modelling public is 'crying out for one') does it matter who tools it?

• Like 3

I think Airfix needs to work on having a reliable U.S. distribution system.  Right now, their availability is spotty.

Having said that, but were I running Airfix, I'd be working on a good 1/48 Spitfire XIV.  The Merlin-engine Spitfires have been done to death.  The 1/72 scale Spits have been done to death, too.  But the Griffon Spits?  Much less so.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Might be a clever ploy,  little Jonny, aunt Muriel etc comes into shop looking for a spitfire, guy In then shop can’t oblige but then pulls out a nice shiny p40, sea fury or mustang...

Sadly, whilst I like that as a marketing technique, it does rely on retailers knowing their product detail.  I think the flaw in that argument is, as we all know, huge numbers of LMS in this country have closed over the past 15-20 years and therefore unless you are lucky to live close to one of the ones remaining, the most likely place for little Jonny to buy is at a mainstream store like Hobbycraft or Argos.  Now I know that speaking from experience, there is not a single member of staff in my local branch of Hobbycraft that knows anything about model-making and wouldn't have the first idea of what to offer up as an alternative.  That said, I do recall a conversation with a visitor at a local model show about a year or so ago when I overheard little Jonny's dad point to a model on our stand and say "look at that Spitfire".  When I politely pointed out that it was a P40, I was told quite firmly by the father that it was a Spitfire...  On that basis, anything with fuselage, 2 wings and a propeller finished in green/dark earth with RAF roundels is a Spitfire to some!

• Haha 2
  • Sad 3

I know I shouldn't be surprised by the parochial views on pet subjects, favoured scales or preferred genres that will solve all of Airfix's ills. Someone mentioned 10,000 units earlier. In the 60s Airfix's initial run was 75,000, all for Woolworths, followed by another 50-60,000 for general sale. I guess sales have contracted a bit, they only made 18,000 TSR.2s on that limited run, but if 10,000 units is now the norm there really isn't much of a future for Airfix.

3 minutes ago, Ratch said:

I know I shouldn't be surprised by the parochial views on pet subjects, favoured scales or preferred genres that will solve all of Airfix's ills. Someone mentioned 10,000 units earlier. In the 60s Airfix's initial run was 75,000, all for Woolworths, followed by another 50-60,000 for general sale. I guess sales have contracted a bit, they only made 18,000 TSR.2s on that limited run, but if 10,000 units is now the norm there really isn't much of a future for Airfix.

Or any other model manufacturer on that basis.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

"look at that Spitfire".  When I politely pointed out that it was a P40, I was told quite firmly by the father that it was a Spitfire...  On that basis, anything with fuselage, 2 wings and a propeller finished in green/dark earth with RAF roundels is a Spitfire to some!

Which is exactly how Spitfire Bridge at Winchester got its name, fact was it was a P-40 Tomahawk, just goes to show, there was a lack of knowledge of aircraft types amongst the general public even back in the 1940's!

Edited by Wez

15 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Im noticing lately that a larger and larger number of Airfix kits are listed as sold out at my usual online hobby shops. Im looking for the 1/72 P-51 for the single-type group build coming up in August. So far not much luck ? The bulk of the 1/24th and 1/48th Airfix kits are also listed as sold out. I suspected just a standard run of the mill sell out until I read this thread. Now im wondering ? 

Or they're all being set up to be released as "Classic" kits!

16 hours ago, HMSLion said:

I think Airfix needs to work on having a reliable U.S. distribution system.  Right now, their availability is spotty.

Having said that, but were I running Airfix, I'd be working on a good 1/48 Spitfire XIV.  The Merlin-engine Spitfires have been done to death.  The 1/72 scale Spits have been done to death, too.  But the Griffon Spits?  Much less so.

Agreed on the Griffon Spits although I think we could still do with a XIV in 1/72.  The Sword kit is very disappointing, its fit issues have made me box mine and I doubt I'll get any more as a result.  The Fujimi kits are pretty pricey and not that easy to get hold of.

9 hours ago, Wez said:

Which is exactly how Spitfire Bridge at Winchester got its name, fact was it was a P-40 Tomahawk, just goes to show, there was a lack of knowledge of aircraft types amongst the general public even back in the 1940's!

Didn't Hurricane pilots call it Spitfire Snobbery?

39 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Didn't Hurricane pilots call it Spitfire Snobbery?

And it still exists today

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Thinking slightly left field, and going by Airfix's previous on kitting subjects just as they go out of service (Harrier GR9, Illustrious) perhaps we might see a new Tornado GR4 kit in 1/72?

You know you're getting old when you can remember buying Airfix's brand new MRCA kit.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:30 AM, HMSLion said:

Unlike here in the UK where Airfix sell direct to the Retailers, in USA (and elsewhere) they sell to Wholesalers who in turn sell to Retailers.  They're not therefore in a position to influence the distribution nor (per an earlier thread) the Retail Prices.

• Like 1

The other question - aircraft that never left the drawing board?  The Chinese have been doing their share of the Usual Subjects, but also have branched out into prototypes and proposals.  And the post-war RAF had no shortage of exotica on the drawing board.  If nothing else, they would not have to deal with the rivet counters.

6 hours ago, HMSLion said:

The other question - aircraft that never left the drawing board?  The Chinese have been doing their share of the Usual Subjects, but also have branched out into prototypes and proposals.  And the post-war RAF had no shortage of exotica on the drawing board.  If nothing else, they would not have to deal with the rivet counters.

I would love to see some unusual, esoteric British aircraft subjects, but with their current financial problems, Airfix are probably more concerned with the bean counters than the rivet counters. Tooling a prototype or drawing board aircraft would be too risky an option for them at the moment.

• Like 1

Now that the dust has settled on the Tin Wing Hurricane, thanks to Arma Hobby, I can't but feel that the matter would never have arisen had Airfix not issued a Rag Winged Hurricane in the first place!

I'm sure that, in choosing to tool a Rag Wing (for which no main stream kit then was or even is? now available) they considered possible 'extensions' to the tool.  The informed opinion from some posts is that it would have required a whole new tool.  And there was the possibility that a aftermarket 'conversion' would appear, as Alleycat showed: something that those who posted that Airfix 'missed a trick', 'I'm sure it would sell', and more, seemed curiously unaware.

It is my perception  that 'sidestream' manufacturers are producing better and better quality products and now rival mainstream items.  For example, Eduard's F6F is surely the definitive tooling.  Where the former are limited, is on size and so far only the smallest twins eg Me110 (again Eduard) have been tooled.  We will therefore tend to see larger subjects (either intrinsic 1/72 or 1/48) from the likes of Airfix.  Sure, we have just had the Me262, but it also has the potential for a 'Dogfight Double' and is due to be re-issued in 2 seat form.

As of now, nobody has yet any idea of even when the next new-subject announcement will be made, only that it will be in time for the end January Nuremberg Toy Fair!  My belief is that we are in for more 'lean' years until the new management's competence is accepted by their Bank and then a few more for the new subjects to actually appear.

So Airfix 2019, more re-releases of 'old' subjects.  Interestingly Xtradecals list in their future releases a Fieseler Storch.  Already tooled by Airfix, and surely a credible re-release.  But the Xtradecal sheet also has the radial engined version: so I wonder, instead, a new tool with alternate engines and even folding wings...?  And the Xtradecal Me410 sheet: there's no accurate kit, an example at Cosford and Revell Germany having both the Matchbox and Frog molds are surely unlikely to tool a third!

• Like 1

Would say they will scale down some of their 48 scale releases, so a Sea Fury, Meteor or Walrus in 1/72 might be on the cards, probably a Hunter in 2020/21... 

They will likely do the Mossie in 1/72 regardless

New tool Westland Wasp and Scout in 1/72 has been my long standing request, however, I have realised that will likely not happen while I am still alive!

2 hours ago, Uncle Dick said:

Would say they will scale down some of their 48 scale releases, so a Sea Fury, Meteor or Walrus in 1/72 might be on the cards, probably a Hunter in 2020/21... 

They will likely do the Mossie in 1/72 regardless

New tool Westland Wasp and Scout in 1/72 has been my long standing request, however, I have realised that will likely not happen while I am still alive!

Your down-scales will surely come, but perhaps not yet.  Wait to see the 'time lapse' on the Meteor and that will give you an idea for the Sea Fury.

Mossie: I'm sure as I was lucky enough to buy from the very last of Hannant's 'Attack Squadron' 2 stage conversions.  Needless to say they are still part of the 'In Pile'!

On 7/28/2018 at 10:30 PM, HMSLion said:

But you can order direct from Hornby USA and get free shipping on purchases over $50. If you can't bear to wait for new releases you can even order direct from Hornby UK and, if you spend over £100, you get free shipping to the US which makes kits cheaper than you can buy them in the UK.

FWIW I'd like to see Airfix round out it's 1/72 bomber series:

HP Hampden

HP Halifax

Short Stirling

yes, I know the last two have recently been re-tooled by other companies, but I just happen to prefer Airfix, so I say: nyah-nyah nee nyah nyaah 😁

Edited by RussellE
  • Haha 2

On 7/28/2018 at 10:18 PM, VMA131Marine said:

The Arma Hobby Hurricane is welcome, and I will buy a few, but I don't think it will affect Airfix's sales if they choose to release one.

Indeed not - I'm afraid to say I'd never really noticed Arma Hobby until the Hurricane came up on this thread. Airfix's new releases are probably far more 'visible' to the average modeller - although of course I wish Arma every success with it and will be buying one or two for sure.

And I'd still buy a few from Hornby - whatever anyone else is doing how could you not buy a brand new 1/72 Airfix Hurricane?! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dave Fleming said:

Fine Molds?

And Italeri, although the Fine Molds kit is much better.

What is really needed is an accurate Me 210. I think the only IM kit is the Bilek 1/72 version.