Revell (Matchbox) Hawker Fury Mk.I 1/72

Tomoshenko

Corr, that looks absolutely brilliant. Love the vibrant colours + the shades of aluminium.

I drilled out 0.2mm holes

Said in a casual, off hand manner as if that was a walk in the park.

Great rigging technique, I think this would be the way I would approach it now given the excellent instructions.

Edit: hey and I got you to page 10!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It's looking wonderful. Great job on the rigging and the yellow spine really sets it off, particularly with the fin & rudder on. Good call on the wing decals - an unnecessary headache avoided I reckon. Almost there now!

Justin

• Like 1

Fabergé just called

Can they have their finest artist back please, egg production numbers have collapsed fiercely since he discovered plastic's delights

Tomo I have never seen such a beautiful biplane model, stunning work sir

Stunning

• Like 4

Don't know how I missed this thread .......... What a superb bit of modelling, quite exquisite. I need to see this in the flesh, for real!

Will this make it to any of the big shows?

Cheers

Terry

• Like 1

You have really captured the striking colours of those inter-war biplanes in this model in a way that is rarely achieved. The metal on the nose is what seems to set everything off, but the rest of the details that you have added are also very important. Brilliant in every way!

P

• Like 1

I've just been looking through my 1976 Matchbox catalogue, and I can't find a 1/24 Hawker Fury anywhere in it.

Oh! Hang on! 1/72!!!

Simply stunning work. Modelling on a Jedi level. I know my Mr Magoo eyesight couldn't cope with all that rigging. Beautiful paint work too.

Fancy a crack at the Siskin next?

Steve

• Like 1

That is a beautiful build of a beautiful aircraft.

One small, late comment: I rigged a load of my biplanes with invisible thread/fishing line, and they looked lovely, but after a year or two the line has gone very slack! I wonder if it's humidity that has done it but it doesn't look good. I hope you have better luck.

• Like 1

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 12:13 PM, Terry1954 said:

Don't know how I missed this thread .......... What a superb bit of modelling, quite exquisite. I need to see this in the flesh, for real!

Will this make it to any of the big shows?

Cheers

Terry

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:01 PM, Cookenbacher said:

That's what I was thinking, this needs to be at shows so people have a chance to see it! (And I'll need to get an airline ticket to the UK).

Thanks gents. Yes I should be at Cosford, and save a giant asteroid strike or zombie apocalypse I will be at Telford.

On ‎3‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:05 PM, fightersweep said:

I've just been looking through my 1976 Matchbox catalogue, and I can't find a 1/24 Hawker Fury anywhere in it.

Oh! Hang on! 1/72!!!

Simply stunning work. Modelling on a Jedi level. I know my Mr Magoo eyesight couldn't cope with all that rigging. Beautiful paint work too.

Fancy a crack at the Siskin next?

Steve

Thank you. I must admit to be developing a palate for the inter-war aircraft. I saw a Matchbox Siskin in the competition at Telford last year. I think it did win something (can't quite remember) but it was a lovely build. I have a few other build on the to do list first, but mut admit fancy having a crack at the Airfix Bristol Bulldog.

21 hours ago, Mitch K said:

That is a beautiful build of a beautiful aircraft.

One small, late comment: I rigged a load of my biplanes with invisible thread/fishing line, and they looked lovely, but after a year or two the line has gone very slack! I wonder if it's humidity that has done it but it doesn't look good. I hope you have better luck.

Thanks for the heads up. I must admit your builds are great so it's a real shame if the lines gone slack. to date (fingers crossed) I have had no such issues. I rigged my Tiger Moth and Gladiator with invisible thread a few years back, and to date they are still tight. I make sure I thread them right through the wings and pull them tight. Although with your advise in mind I will not be complacent and keep an eye on them.

Roight up then, as you know with this lark, there is always a sting in the tail (quite literally in this case) and something to cop you out. I was expecting a reasonably chilled session on the tail, but the mischievous modelling gods had other plans.

Things went well enough with the tail fin. Conveniently the rigging holes are in the same position as the locator holes for the struts. Nice of the Hawker designers to consider modellers of the future.

IMG_3155.jpg

I go the actuators sorted…but…I couldn’t get enough tension on the thread so it sagged. Plus there is a horrible blob of cyano:

IMG_3159.jpg

Admittedly this I think is where invisible thread has its limitations and EZ line is probably better.

Anyroad I removed it, and I confess to cheating a little and used some 0.1mm nickel rod. I don’t think the rod is as realistic as thread, which to my eye looks like proper cable, whereas the rod looks like wire at this scale if you know what I mean. But it’s not in a prominent position and looks much better than previous. Also I used G-S Hypo cement and I think you’ll agree the effect is much neater.

IMG_3167.jpg

Onto the actuator cables for the tail flap horns. All went well initially.

IMG_3173.jpg

But when the glue dried the tension subsided somewhat and the effect was having baggy cables.

IMG_3180.jpg

IMG_3184.jpg

Now I know from pictures of the real cables are not super tight, but these were baggier than an old pair of my grandad’s baggy trousers. But oh what to do? I didn’t any major surgery, and I was bound to bust something eventually if I continued to faff around, or end up with big ugly blobs of cyano over the decals or something. Then I had a bit of a wheeze and came up with a blag.

Where the elevator cables on the real aircraft enter the fuselage they do so through a leather fairhead come gator or summat. I was going to replicate this by way of a decal but forgot.

IMG_3190.jpg

Anyroad I thought the only thing for it was to bite the bullet and get the razor blade out for a few unkind cuts. First I made up some little gators from thin plastic painted appropriately in Tamiya Rubber Black.

IMG_3186.jpg

Then it was a hold your breath ouch moment. I knew this could go horribly wrong, and cut the wires.

IMG_3200.jpg

Then it was a matter of gluing the cables to the little black thingy care of G-S Hypo which is less messy than cyano and to be honest has been invaluable on this build.

IMG_3207.jpg

IMG_3212.jpg

Then I applied a dab of G-S Hypo underneath the black thing and positioned it in place. The invisible thread was reasonably straight so I didn’t have to apply any tension. Plus the drying time of G-S Hypo is about five minutes so I had liberty to position it properly.

Anyroad it looks much better now and the little black gator adds a touch of depth and realism that it lacked before.

IMG_3218.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

Not the best of pictures I confess, but I’m glad this episode is over as it was the most fiddly and frustrating part of the build which I quite frankly didn’t enjoy much.

Anyroad tis done, so I can move on to get the tail struts in place and the undercarriage and remaining details.

• Like 20

Wonderful remedial works on that cabling Tomo - that looks a result!

Only when that razor blade creeps into shot and you see  that great big thick cutting edge on it do you realise the fine tolerances involved here.:clap:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomoshenko said:

Thanks gents. Yes I should be at Cosford, and save a giant asteroid strike or zombie apocalypse I will be at Telford.

I won't be at Cosford but will be at Telford, and to quote Liam Neeson from any of the Taken films ........" I will find you and ............... I will congratulate you"!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 10/03/2018 at 5:38 PM, Mitch K said:

One small, late comment: I rigged a load of my biplanes with invisible thread/fishing line, and they looked lovely, but after a year or two the line has gone very slack!

You might be able to tighten the line up again by quickly placing a blown out match (carefully!) next to them - this has worked for me in the past.I've also heard of people using a hot soldering iron to do the same thing, but I've never had the nerve to try it!

More most excellent work Tomo, every little detail is adding to the sum total of brilliance in this little beauty!

Keith

• Like 2

Lovely job on the rigging, and I'm sure no-one will be any the wiser about the non existent gap between roundel and red bars. 

I use a silver marker to colour the rigging wires, mainly because it keeps them a little thinner.

Ian

• Like 2

Thanks all.

I have heard of the blown out match trick too, which work well apparently.

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 5:16 PM, Terry1954 said:

I won't be at Cosford but will be at Telford, and to quote Liam Neeson from any of the Taken films ........" I will find you and ............... I will congratulate you"!

Well who am to argue with the mighty Liam Neeson....erm see you at Telford Liam. I will be under the Brum IPMS table...gulp...

Almost there! First up I got the taill struts in place then started on the undercarriage. Twas a bit fiddly trying to line it up but after much patience and some moderate cussing…

IMG_3234.jpg

It was positioned, then glued in place.

IMG_3237.jpg

I then use a bit of BMF to mask the wheel hubs as there is a little rim where the hub meets the tyre for which masking would be too thick to use. They then got a coat of Tamiya NATO black, as I find the very dark deep grey more realistic of rubber than normal black.

IMG_2932.jpg

And then a little heads up for anyone building the Matchbox / Revell Fury - the undercarriage bracing / rigging wires just / almost glanced the radiator housing. I did read of one poster because who left the wires off because they fouled the radiator. When I referenced my build to the plans I found that my undercarriage size and angle is slightly out. Only very slightly but enough, because when I referenced pictures of the real aircraft the wires do run very close to the rear of the radiator.

Anyroad it is barely discernible, except I’ve let the cat out the bag telling you lot….looks like I’m gonna have to bribe you into silence at Telford with loads of beers.

Anyhow this is how it looks.

IMG_3251.jpg

IMG_3266.jpg

The hydraulic pipes got a little touch of Tamiya Rubber Black.

IMG_3252.jpg

Here is the rear with struts and tail skid.

IMG_3253.jpg

And at long last she stands on her own two wheels and little skid.

IMG_3256.jpg

IMG_3260.jpg

I’ve already added the pitot and venture as you can see. Finally it will be the radio wires and perhaps the odd little touch up, propeller, and that should be it. Until next time…

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Fury nice, well if you're in'siskin, I will knock off the gags!

Funny you mention the Siskin earlier, your build inspired me to get my Matchbox one out the other day.  I was all fired up to start building the diminutive beauty but then the rigging issue, and my severe limitations therein kicked in!  I will build it one day, when I get to have a good clear run at it.

Incredible work, as Tony says earlier the true (lack of) scale of it comes across when you see the blade next to it.

• Like 1