1/48 Phantom FGR2

RMP2

This is as far as I can go with it until I get its diorama base done.

Paints used were Humbrol enamels, mainly 163, 164 and 196.

WIP can be found here: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234973686-raf-jet-fest-part-2-phantom-fgr-mk2-wbig-ed-jaguar-tba/

All thoughts, especially negative/constructive ones are much appreciated, fixes for them would be even better. Without criticism Ill never improve, so please, dont be shy, Im a big boy and I dont cry easily. Im aware of plenty of faults, I dont mind at all for more to be pointed out.

The missing RBFs and FOD cover will make sense once its on its base with extra stuff.

But for now, here it is.

P1020350.jpg

P1020353.jpg

P1020354.jpg

P1020355.jpg

P1020356.jpg

P1020358.jpg

P1020359.jpg

P1020360.jpg

P1020361.jpg

P1020362.jpg

P1020349.jpg

• Like 38

Thanks.

Re the weathering, it was a little lighter than I was really wanting, but its early days with an airbrush, much to learn. Next time I want it well worn Ill give it a bit more ooomph.

Re a wash on the landing gear, I considered it, but frankly I chickened out. I might still pull it all off and give it a go though, it seems pretty straight forward and youre right - it does bring it out if done subtley. Ill put it on the list.

Cheers for the feedback, its appreciated.

• Like 1

Just a couple of small items, inside faces of aux air doors and airbrakes should be red this really showed up on the real aircraft.

The chosen serial number, XT898, was a twin sticker so wouldn't have carried the recce pod these were only carried by Phantoms with XV serials.

I don't think intake blanks of the type shown were used at this time, we used large fabric covers which covered the whole intake including the ramp.

I hope these details are of use, I served on 41 Sqdn which was also a Phantom recce unit.

• Like 1

Lots of use, thankyou.

Aux intakes are red (but overspray got them and I hoped they were hidden). Thanks re the brakes too, I couldn't find a photo showing the inside of those, only the inside face of the actual brakes themselves.

I read that "T" aircraft were twin stick but went with the instructions. Silly idea really, same goes for the pod.

Did twin sticks only carry tanks then? Bit confused as I'm sure I found a photo of xt898 with the recce pod fitted but fitted is one thing...

Edited by RMP2

Hello,RMP2 - My compliments to you on a beautiful looking build of your 'Phantom'.I love the quality and detail of the paint and finishing work and she looks every inch the warbirds she is.Phine Phettling indeed! You must be deservedly proud of her.All the best,Paul.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone. I suppose I should come clean re the bad bits:

Tanks need touch ups

Forgot to glue the strike camera lens on

Various PE is missing

Overspray on the aux air intakes

Wrong colour inside the brakes under the wing

PE is nasty around the canopy/cockpit

Torque thingy isnt on the nose wheel

Antenna is missing under the nose

A trace of finger print remains in the lacquer on the port rear fuselage

Canopy decals arent on

Rear seat control stick missing

Im sure theres more!

Thanks everyone. I suppose I should come clean re the bad bits:

Tanks need touch ups

Forgot to glue the strike camera lens on

Various PE is missing

Overspray on the aux air intakes

Wrong colour inside the brakes under the wing

PE is nasty around the canopy/cockpit

Torque thingy isnt on the nose wheel

Antenna is missing under the nose

A trace of finger print remains in the lacquer on the port rear fuselage

Canopy decals arent on

Rear seat control stick missing

Im sure theres more!

Well, I never knew that a twin-sticker couldn't carry the EMI pod, till I read this thread, so I'd have made the same mistake.

Incidentally I have lists like that on my models, but by the time I've compiled the list I'm halfway on building my next one....in fact thinking about it I have quite a few models with lists like that!

If it's not too insensitive to ask...have you added the rear throttle controls, if not there's something else to add......;-)

Track back to the other thread re TERs and see the pic. They could carry it...

Rear throttles? Just had a look and theres none in the front, never mind the back!!

• 3 weeks later...