Airfix 1/144 Vickers Vanguard

Great build! - I have never seen a Vanguard, and it has no relevance to Australia, but I see this old Airfix model come up a treat so many times...... temped to have a go. ( Don't have the skills of this builder, tho!) Appreciated!!

Although few Vanguards were built, the few that were built did get around. The nearest any got top Australia would have been the small number operated by Merpati Nusantara in Indonesia.

Although few Vanguards were built, the few that were built did get around. The nearest any got top Australia would have been the small number operated by Merpati Nusantara in Indonesia.

Those were 'Guardsvans' weren't they?

Joseph

• 2 weeks later...

A really superb model. The open doors and boarding steps look excellent.

• 1 year later...

The model is now a star on Googles Vanguard page

and I think Airfix should be surely able to confirm a massive

rise in their sales of the model since you've posted your's.

It made me want to build a Vanguard... :goodjob:

• Like 1

I re-iterate what has been said above.

My friend Peter flew these with BEA and it was his favourite type.

I have started sending him the links to all Vanguard threads on this site and he is amazed at the quality.

Richard.

• Like 1

• 5 years later...
On 9/3/2022 at 6:22 AM, ajmm said:

Flawless! That has to be the sharpest model I’ve ever seen. Incredible stuff. 

Thanks to Vinny for bumping this to the top again - I’d never seen it.

I can't put it better than that!

As RODH2 said above there is no connection to Australia but we moved to England when I was 13, in 1982, so my dad could do a year's study leave at Nottingham University and we lived right under the approach to RWY 27 at East Midlands Airport.

Merchantmen (unlike Grumman Gooses, I don't think you say Merchantmans...) were a daily sight overhead and from the unofficial parking/spotting area near the East Midlands aviation museum you could see them reversing into their parking spots.

I have built the Airfix kit and I can appreciate the work that went into making the model look that goodl!!!

• 2 months later...

Only just found this, whilst contemplating acquiring the kit to build as a gift for a friend (his favourite aircraft) that I'd then make for him. Was wondering what the old tool might be like as I recall the fun (not) I had asva child making some of the airfix 1/144 airliners ... but yours has demonstrated what can be achieved with skill... and as it's still, I suspect, the only option available for a vanguard, I ought to part with some cash 

Thanks for the inspiration