1/72 Blackbird Lincoln Conversion - Masks off!

woody37

Hi Nimrod, they look great.

Are there any stencils on them?

No stencils included sorry, just the RAAF Lincoln unique markings.

I can send you a picture of the actual decals if your interested?

Edited by nimrod77

I was just thinking... This might be a long shot, but IIRC Paragon used to do a Lincoln conversion kit many years ago, Since the Paragon Manchester conversion kit, of which one is presently residing in my ever growing stash, includes a vacformed dorsal turret of the early type used on the Manchester, it might be possible that their Lincoln kit also contained a vacformed rear turret of the correct type.

I was just thinking... This might be a long shot, but IIRC Paragon used to do a Lincoln conversion kit many years ago, Since the Paragon Manchester conversion kit, of which one is presently residing in my ever growing stash, includes a vacformed dorsal turret of the early type used on the Manchester, it might be possible that their Lincoln kit also contained a vacformed rear turret of the correct type.

Flightpath still do a Lincoln conversion set too. I 'think' the vacform transparencies may have the turret,but can't quite make it out;

http://www.djparkins.com/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2edjparkins%2ecom%2facatalog%2fflightpath%2ehtml&WD=lincoln&PN=1_72ndwwii%2ehtml%23aFP_2d72_2d025#aFP_2d72_2d025

Lovely work on the conversion so far Neil.

Keith

edit - that link doesn't take you direct to the conversion, you need to scroll down half a page or so.

The Paragon conversion does have a representation of the BP turret complete with a transparent rear part to cover the extra glazing. It's fairly simple but looks the right shape (the 48th version is much more detailed). There is also the option of "Village Inn" within the resin bits It also has the larger H2S radome and mid upper turret. The DB Lincoln conversion rear turret is just a four gun FN20 turret (Lancaster standard) and the glazing in the Sangar vac form is best forgotten - as well as being poorly shaped mine has also gone yellow.

As well as packs of the Falcon 22 vacs I also have the Squadron/Signal Lancaster canopy set, also made by Falcon. The detail on the rear turret (two gun FN82) appears to be less prominent than in the Falcon 22 set and I reckon that the Squadron Signal set would suit, with suitable detailing.

Tried to take some pictures but the camera battery has died. Obviously took too many over in Glasgow at Celtic Connections last night. Ho - hum

Scan of Squadron "two gun" rear turret (FN82) "instructions" :-

l6VOD41.jpg

HTH

Dennis

I have the Flightpath conversion set and it does indeed appear to have the B.P. turret transparency.

Regards,

Jason

P.S. And no, Neil, you can't have mine, and how much are you willing to pay for it!

• Like 2

The Paragon conversion does have a representation of the BP turret complete with a transparent rear part to cover the extra glazing. It's fairly simple but looks the right shape (the 48th version is much more detailed). There is also the option of "Village Inn" within the resin bits It also has the larger H2S radome and mid upper turret. The DB Lincoln conversion rear turret is just a four gun FN20 turret (Lancaster standard) and the glazing in the Sangar vac form is best forgotten - as well as being poorly shaped mine has also gone yellow.

As well as packs of the Falcon 22 vacs I also have the Squadron/Signal Lancaster canopy set, also made by Falcon. The detail on the rear turret (two gun FN82) appears to be less prominent than in the Falcon 22 set and I reckon that the Squadron Signal set would suit, with suitable detailing.

Tried to take some pictures but the camera battery has died. Obviously took too many over in Glasgow at Celtic Connections last night. Ho - hum

Scan of Squadron "two gun" rear turret (FN82) "instructions" :-

l6VOD41.jpg

HTH

Dennis

Dennis,

You're a star mate. Strangely, this looks more like the BP turret than it does the FN82, I've got set 22, so will use that part :)

Cheers

Neil

Edit: an initial dry fit of the Falcon part looks good, just very flimsy to handle. It's a goer :)

• Like 2

Got a few pics done today of the mid upper. This will be the last for a week or so, but hope to get the cockpit fixed in place, masked then the aircraft painted as a next step. I'll come back to the rear turret after the painting.

76_zpsbdc12b6b.jpg

74_zps105d57a7.jpg

75_zps0f0d1d8b.jpg

• Like 13

Well done with the mid upper turret Neil it looks superb and great to hear that you finally have a proper rear turret! This is really coming on well mate and well up to your usual high standards!

Cheers mate,

Tony

• Like 1

The Lincoln was one of my boyhood favorites. We had a good few parked around the peri track at Langar in 1958. I had a 'Shocking' experience in a Lincoln at RAF Yatesbury. I wrongly connected a 1000V Megger to a radar cable and wondered why my mates inside, with me, were jumping about when they touched the airframe.

SX953 at Syerston.

b695bc29-9e28-4bd1-9c9b-8d6eaf03e841_zps

• Like 8

Jason...

If you decide on doing a RCAF Lancaster AR10 (instead of the MR10), get Neil to hand over his RAAF nose extension. While the RAAF Lincoln had a constant 12' nose extension, you just need to take a scale 3' slice for the AR10. For the clear nose piece (formerly the nose turret), I'd suggest using the solid turret replacement on the 'Grand Slam' as a master and vac-ing a clear 'nose'.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley
  • Like 2

Jason...

If you decide on doing a RCAF Lancaster AR10 (instead of the MR10), get Neil to hand over his RAAF nose extension. While the RAAF Lincoln had a constant 12' nose extension, you just need to take a scale 3' slice for the AR10. For the clear nose piece (formerly the nose turret), I'd suggest using the solid turret replacement on the 'Grand Slam' as a master and vac-ing a clear 'nose'.

Scott

Thank you very much for the advice, Scott! I've always wanted to do the Canadian Arctic Recce version with the extended nose. That might be just the way to do it. As luck would have it, I have a Hasegawa Grand Slam Lanc where I haven't glued on the turret blank yet. I'm sure Neil wouldn't mind sending me the RAAF extension, since I so graciously offered to sell give him the B.P. tail turret from my Lincoln conversion set.

Regards,

Jason

Great build which I've come late into unfortunately. I was wondering what all of the fuss about the option of building an RAAF MR31 was about until I Googled a photo of one.....

I hope you've recovered from the shock. Grown men would shriek in terror and small children would cry upon seeing the MR.31 for the first time.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

G'day Neil, just noticed this mate. I didn't even know there was a new conversion out of the Lincoln. But yours is coming together very nicely and up to your usual standards.

I hope alls well with you and yours and I'll keep an eye on how the rest of this comes together.

Best regards

Callum

• Like 1

Thank you very much for the advice, Scott! I've always wanted to do the Canadian Arctic Recce version with the extended nose. That might be just the way to do it. As luck would have it, I have a Hasegawa Grand Slam Lanc where I haven't glued on the turret blank yet. I'm sure Neil wouldn't mind sending me the RAAF extension, since I so graciously offered to sell give him the B.P. tail turret from my Lincoln conversion set.

Regards,

Jason

I hope you've recovered from the shock. Grown men would shriek in terror and small children would cry upon seeing the MR.31 for the first time.

Regards,

Jason

Jason, you're more than welcome to the ugly bit :)

G'day Neil, just noticed this mate. I didn't even know there was a new conversion out of the Lincoln. But yours is coming together very nicely and up to your usual standards.

I hope alls well with you and yours and I'll keep an eye on how the rest of this comes together.

Best regards

Callum

Hi Callum, how you doing mate, not seen much of you on here for a bit, hope life is looking after you? Good here, just got back from a week skiing, first time for about 20 years, back to reality this week catching up with stuff at work boo hoo !

Hope to get more done later this week, maybe even get the paint on over the weekend.

Cheers

• Like 1

Any word on the later radome so far?

Had a nosey around this at Cosford yesterday and I'm eager to start one;

24_zps7828cf4e.jpg

32_zpsa397c05f.jpg

I think there's a Merlin in there somewhere!

27_zpsed6969be.jpg

I may just buy the set and craft my own, doesn't look to be too much trouble now I've seen it in the flesh. Interestingly, in actually 'meeting' the Lincoln, she is considerably more unmistakably 'Lancaster' than I would have thought, as with my third photo.

Thread hijack over, enjoying the progress :popcorn:

Cheers, WV908

Edited by WV908
  • Like 7

Calling WOODY37 / Neil ...

I've been watching this thread avidly but it'd gone awfully quiet!

Are you still waiting on the larger H2S radome?

I'd love to see this project finished!

Cheers,

Jonny

Any word on the later radome so far?

Had a nosey around this at Cosford yesterday and I'm eager to start one;

I think there's a Merlin in there somewhere!

I may just buy the set and craft my own, doesn't look to be too much trouble now I've seen it in the flesh. Interestingly, in actually 'meeting' the Lincoln, she is considerably more unmistakably 'Lancaster' than I would have thought, as with my third photo.

Thread hijack over, enjoying the progress :popcorn:

Cheers, WV908

Sorry for the late replies guys, just catching up with the thread.....yes I know I started it lol!

Great pictures, thanks for those. I caught up with Glenn at Huddersfield last weekend and he has intentions to do the larger dome and also the rear turret too. Having faffed about with the Falcon vac part, I may just use the kit part for now and replaced it when these become available (It's got a good tolerance fit, so won't need gluing). So that's good news for anyone wanting to do a variant with the larger dome, especially as Glenn also has some lovely decals to suit these too (I'll take some pictures of them this week).

Calling WOODY37 / Neil ...

I've been watching this thread avidly but it'd gone awfully quiet!

Are you still waiting on the larger H2S radome?

I'd love to see this project finished!

Cheers,

Jonny

Hi Jonny,

No I'm not, I'm going for the small variant, just been busy recently and not had much time / desire for modelling, especially as it was the making stage, hate that bit! I got a 100Sqn logo decal from TonyOT and can probably get most of the nose art together from spare decals if I decide to use them, but my intention is now committed to an aircraft of 100 Sqn based at RAF Tengah conducting bombing missions loaded with 500lbers in 1950. The only thing I can't currently solve without getting one printed is the text 'The Burra Hornet' on the nose in front of the bomb tally, but I really want it to be RF476 flown by CO of the squadron Danny O'Brien.

Got some more done yesterday, the MSG grey is now on and I'm prepping all the small parts that will be black so I can do all the spraying in one go. That's unusual organisation for me!

Next job - mask the MSG areas off.

77_zps070b0720.jpg

79_zps8f5d422e.jpg

Cheers

Neil

• Like 15