1/72 Blackbird Lincoln Conversion - Masks off!

woody37

Great to see you attacking this now Neil, it'll certainly look grand on the table.......it's a gap that's needed filling for some time. I know that this may not be a popular sentiment to some but looking at the quality of the parts at SMW I think it looks rather good value for money, (from someone whose used to paying this sort of money on much lesser quality resin kits a lot).

.....I assume it'll be on the table at 'T'Uddersfield then ! :coolio:

• Like 1

I note from the opening post, the upper turret appears different to the normal Lancaster one, in both position and type. Is this correct? Is it close to the one used on the Canadian Mk X? Am trying to convert an Airfix MkX to CWHMs VeRA.

Looking forward to more updates

The Canadian MkXs were fitted with twin .50cal Martin turrets - basically the same model fitted to B-24s and B-26 Marauders.

The Lincoln turret is a different beast altogether.

The Canadian MkXs were fitted with twin .50cal Martin turrets - basically the same model fitted to B-24s and B-26 Marauders.

The Lincoln turret is a different beast altogether.

Thanks Tom, Knew the Canadians used the Martin turret, just looked very similar in the images.

Loving this build, and nice to read a Manchester and Lancastrian are in the future works, a possible Avro family to build (but I digress)

I note from the opening post, the upper turret appears different to the normal Lancaster one, in both position and type. Is this correct? Is it close to the one used on the Canadian Mk X? Am trying to convert an Airfix MkX to CWHMs VeRA.

As Tom says, the mk.x used a Martin turret, the majority of Lincolnshire used a Bristol turret with 20mm cannon. It was positioned in the same location as the mk.x - appears to replace the rear hatch location

Looking forward to more updates

Great to see you attacking this now Neil, it'll certainly look grand on the table.......it's a gap that's needed filling for some time. I know that this may not be a popular sentiment to some but looking at the quality of the parts at SMW I think it looks rather good value for money, (from someone whose used to paying this sort of money on much lesser quality resin kits a lot).

Hi Andy, should be there if I can get decals sorted. Got a Washington to do, another gap from the same era. Got lots of exterior etch for that too although doubt it will be at Huddersfield!

Hi Andy, should be there if I can get decals sorted. Got a Washington to do, another gap from the same era. Got lots of exterior etch for that too although doubt it will be at Huddersfield!

Sounds good to me, slowly getting all bases covered, just wish Airfix would push their Whitley through....... ...should have a few more Valiants and something big in 1/48th, (should !!).....

• Like 1

I don't think we will have any excuse for not having some fresh stuff on the table this year Andy, the pressure is on us lol!!!!

Up and running again (ish) on the man cave PC - forgot I had one in there even though I only put it in a few weeks ago, the mince pies have damaged the brain!

Not got Photoshop on it yet though and need it to lighten and sharpen up the photographs, so I'll hang fire to see if I can get this sorted.

The fuselage corrections are done now, so we're back on track. Apart from the nose, all the heavy engineering work is done, so normal model building will commence soon.

Here's an unedited shot of the fuselage after faffing about with the rear end!

fuse_zpse136430c.jpg

• Like 9

Looks like you got the rear fuselage sorted out, Neil. However, I was thinking (always a dangerous proposition), if you're using Photoshop on your photographs, you could have just corrected the fuselage in Photoshop and not worried about all that cutting, sanding, and filing nonsense and we'd be none the wiser!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 7

Good point, I have lost count off all the times I paid through the nose that something that really didn't do what it said on the tin - although, not resin I was one of the mugs who bought a couple of the Merlin TSR-2s. Simply it would have been more accurate anD easier to carve a bar of soap that more resembled a TSR-2.

Therefore it's both good to see a quality product and build.

Living in Huddersfield, its 'Town' by the way :-)

Marty...

• Like 2

Going back to John Aero's comment earlier about the straightness of the spine, sanding the 'hump didn't leave it looking right so I compared the fuselage against profile drawings. The cuts were all done squarely (on panel lines), so this indicates one of three things - 1. The Airfix kit is wrong at the rear or 2. The profile between the Lincoln and Lancaster differs, or 3. I cocked up somewhere and can't figure out where!!!!

So, I cut the rear fuselage behind the resin and built the inside up with plasticard and repositioned the rear end in line with the profile drawing. When everything is dry, I'll fill the gap with car filler.

I'll do further investigations tomorrow including checking another Lanc I have gainst relevant drawings to see if that reveals anything.

The Lincoln rear fuselage datum is angled up in reference to the mid fuselage datum (which is the same as the Lancaster). It's possible that this was an easy way to change the tailplane incidence by canting the rear fuselage joint. This gives an almost straight line to the top of the rear fuselage. Most model drawings are in error of this, but take a look at photos and compare the Linc and the Lanc. Another reason for the change of rear fuselage datum might have been to change the takeoff incidence of the wing. The Stirling had a too shallow wing incidence and this affected it's loaded takeoff. The solution in this case was to fit that vulnerable stalky undercarriage rather that a major wing redesign.

John

Just posted this and noted that you had already done the work which looks excellent.

• Like 3

John, I've just got in after a few too many drinks, I'll have to re-read through your comments when the brain is running on full H2O and not a diluted version, but you convinced me that there was some technical reason why things ended up the way they did :blush:

Thanks for your challenge, it led me to check the taper a the rear end earlier rather than later to save a mistake I would of regretted :)

• Like 1

Hi Niel, the fuselage looks much better now that you have rectified the top line. I'm not sure i'm reading John's comments correctly. I'll go and look at some pics.

Colin

Not got Photoshop on it yet though and need it to lighten and sharpen up the photographs, so I'll hang fire to see if I can get this sorted.

Have you considered installing GIMP? For my purposes (autocorrect white, resize, trim, join pics together) it's as valid as PS and it's free.

• Like 2

Your edit has come to late, your original reply is quoted in post 66.

Marty...

Look, mate, I don't know what your problem is, but let's leave it off this thread, shall we, and let the nice man get on with his build. If you have anything else to add, please do it in a PM.

• Like 1

Sorted now Bonehammer, I'll get a few pics up later.

Wasn't aware of GIMP, so that sounds useful too for back up purposes :)

Cheers

GIMP's a nice little programme, Neil. I actually used it on some of the photographs for my Il-2 book. It's like a (very) poor-man's Photoshop, and I do mean poor, as it's a free programme.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

Woody, take another commendation for Gimp from me will you

Not only the usual aspects of a picture device (autocorrect white, resize, trim, join pics together) as Bonehammer puts it but also has the ability to reperspectivise a picture

if you use it to crop an item, badge squadron markings or such but there's the usual tilt and shrink because of perspective you can actually grab an edge and pull the corners in or out (and up and down)to carefully square off the image

I suspect an artist could do it perfectly, I managed to get a 666sqn badge of a Scout photo back to a useable circle-crown-mottoscroll, yuou can see two unused ones under the tail here

I wish I'd used them now but thought them a little overscale for the kit's door panel

I stayed with the proper size which vanished against the green black camo :(

Scoutinga926B004_zpsced54cc3.jpg

And as its free I use it more and more these days

Anyway, ignore this and get on with the Linc, looking bloomin good to me

• Like 1

There's so many skills I've yet to master in modelling, resin casting, vac forming canopies, making decals etc, never heard of GIMP before....well I have but not these terms!!!!

Thanks for the tips guys :)

So, a hangover and putting the Christmas decorations away to day as rendered it a non modelling day, but here are the pictures of how it was as of last night. Still some tidying up of surfaces, but these will probably get dealt with when the fuselage is together and the seams are filled in. Certainly looking better for the rear end uplift

43_zps1e307c95.gif

40_zps5f2b3e3f.gif

42_zpsc0da9428.gif

41_zps0a6e45c1.gif

• Like 6

I have just found the info I was looking for. Quote.. An additional length of 6' 8" was added to the Lancaster fuselage mid section (face A to face B1 ) B) at a point Y.. The rear fuselage Section B2 to D is similar to the Lancaster but face B1 has been shaved off at an angle so as to throw the rear fuselage B2 to D up, so that the top is One deg out of horizontal. This brings the tail surfaces up to the new required position.

For what it's worth... from Flight Jan 1946.

John

PS. face A is the nose break point. B1 is the end face of the extended Lanc fuselage and is the angled former. B2 is the rear fuselage face and D is the turret face.

• Like 2

Hi John,

That explains a few things. I've been comparing the Lincoln and the Lancaster to the Lancaster drawings and there is clearly a difference that has been exaggerated by the slight error in the Airfix kit.

I've taken the picture below to show how the Airfix kit compares to the drawings. Now that the Lincoln 'looks' correct, the turret sits higher than the Lancaster which from what John explains above is correct.

At the moment, I've not got any Lincoln scale drawings to get a picture.

44_zps296f0370.gif

Cheers

• Like 3