Airfix Chipmunk T10

Hi, Steve.

I'm very happy you ended your fantastic build.

I followed your in-progress thread with much interest and not only from a modeling point of view.

Of course that is the best Chippy I have ever seen.

Thanks for sharing your techics and for having given all us the joy to see that beauty.

Eugenio

Hi, Steve.

I'm very happy you ended your fantastic build.

I followed your in-progress thread with much interest and not only from a modeling point of view.

Of course that is the best Chippy I have ever seen.

Thanks for sharing your techics and for having given all us the joy to see that beauty.

Eugenio

Thanks Eugenio

But you are forgetting your own Chippy - which BTW if any one hasn't seen they should check out: http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=221361&st=0

Don't forget that I tried but failed to copy your method of doing the canopy! It was fun trying though.

Steve

Outstanding work - it's certainly brought back a few very distant memories of my time at FSS. Difficult to believe that you've not been modelling day in, day out for decades, given the levels of skill and finish.

Steve,

As I said in the build thread, a truly great job which has produced a masterpiece, given the original 'canvas' and its diminutive size. The fact that you have completed this after so many years away from the hobby only underlines your inherent skills...gives me optimism for my own erratic attempts, given the vagaries of Service life and regular moves.

It also brings back memories of a short trip from Nottingham to Skegness in 1980, taken in a civilian registered Chippie (still in RAF colours) with my room mate at IOT, who had a PPL.

Well Done, Mate !

Mark

• 4 months later...

Just came accross your chipmunk....and the build thread.

Truly inspiring work you've done on this kit! I'm really impressed by all the research and details you've put in it.

I just finished mine a few weeks ago...and I'm far far away from that level of details. But it was a pleasant and quick build.

Cheers

B.

What a fantastic,inspirational build! ...gives us newbies hope... Just spent the last few hours glued to the WIP thread-a joy in itself.Apart from the education gained,the insiders' back and forth between yourself and others made for some fascinating reading(the brighter members of my family have meteors,vampires,lightnings,pumas and chinooks in their logbooks,so this was all very nostalgic stuff).

Modelling of the highest order on display here,really looking forward to your next build. Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Superb build, all the little tweeks and scratchbuilding to bring it up to that level is very impressive, well done!

Reminds me of my first air experiance flight in 1995, loved every minute of it.

Rich

• Like 1

I can't remember whether I commented already or not, but it looks pretty much perfect.

BTW when you've finished with that oversized 50p I lent you, can I have it back please, I've got a 1:32 Tornado nearly finished...?

• Like 1

Ooo. It's once to see this little one again. Can see a few things I'd do differently now tho' - ain't that always the way?

BTW when you've finished with that oversized 50p I lent you, can I have it back please, I've got a 1:32 Tornado nearly finished...?

Oops Spent it. Prompted quite a discussion about the perils of inflation actually.......

BTW - I always knew that your weren't really working in 1/72 :)

Reminds me of my first air experiance flight in 1995, loved every minute of it.

Aye. One of the great things about the Chipmunk is how many of us have fond memories of contact with the full size article. Hard not to smile when you see a Chippie.

• Like 3

Aye. One of the great things about the Chipmunk is how many of us have fond memories of contact with the full size article. Hard not to smile when you see a Chippie.

I only got to fly in the Chipmunk once, they replaced them shortly after by the Bulldog which I did the majority of my AEF in, however I prefferred the chipmunk, the smell, the tandem seating it made me feel like I was in a WW2 fighter!. The Bulldog was less enjoyable somehow.

Rich

• Like 2

Excellent! - your long list of what you've change suggest that there is much, much shorter list what left untouched from a kit. Was there something you did not correct? :)

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

I only got to fly in the Chipmunk once, they replaced them shortly after by the Bulldog which I did the majority of my AEF in, however I prefferred the chipmunk, the smell, the tandem seating it made me feel like I was in a WW2 fighter!. The Bulldog was less enjoyable somehow.

Rich

Don't tell Keith that :)

It's over 30 years since I flew in a Chipmunk - and I only did about 15 hours in it - but if I close my eyes I can still picture it. I agree that there's something about it.......sigh

Excellent! - your long list of what you've change suggest that there is much, much shorter list what left untouched from a kit. Was there something you did not correct? :)

Cheers

Jerzy-Wojtek

Umm. Don't remember. Don't think so :)
  • Like 2

Don't tell Keith that :)

It's over 30 years since I flew in a Chipmunk - and I only did about 15 hours in it - but if I close my eyes I can still picture it. I agree that there's something about it.......sigh

I was sitting here fuming last night Steve, trying to think of a suitable pithy (& painful!) retort. But then I couldn't, as I realised, much as I love the Bulldog & she will forever be in my heart, I probably love the old Chippie even more! I only ever got AEF flights in them, never managed to fly them myself, but I do have to agree about that certain 'something'...!! If my mythical lottery win is only big enough to buy one of the two, I think that much as it pains me, it will have been built by de Havilland...!! :whistle::D

Keith

• Like 2