UK F-35 First Flight

Bobski

Not sure I like the fin flash. FAA aircraft don't traditionally have them (ooh controversial...).

Wrt the colour, maybe 'they' are going to change the colour of the Union Flag. In these times of austerity it is surely more prudent to have just a two shade flag.

Not sure I like the fin flash. FAA aircraft don't traditionally have them (ooh controversial...).

Wrt the colour, maybe 'they' are going to change the colour of the Union Flag. In these times of austerity it is surely more prudent to have just a two shade flag.

If Scotland get their independance there's your two shade flag

Looks alright to me, if only it had another set of wings and some rigging it'd be spot on

hey lets drop this and buy the chinese one cheaper deliverd on time and works better

Once you've re-tightened all the bolts ;) One thing that I noticed on every Airsoft gun I ever owned (all made in China) was that they hardly ever nipped up all the screws/bolts to anything more than finger-tight. :rolleyes:

Once you've re-tightened all the bolts ;) One thing that I noticed on every Airsoft gun I ever owned (all made in China) was that they hardly ever nipped up all the screws/bolts to anything more than finger-tight. :rolleyes:

And 99% of the gears need proper shimming... doesn't take too long on an airsoft gun, but tightening every bolt and reshimming every gear on a fighter might take a bit longer.. :lol:

It's a natural progression if you like...

Unknown.jpg

800px-Roundel_of_the_USAF_low_vissvg.png

So what next? The RAF merge with the USAF and creates a single bodied North Atlantic air arm, with a central command in the Pentagon. After months of negotiation this new air force is renamed as the, errr, USAF...

Start practicing Yankee accents boys, y'all gonna be talking that way soon, d'yer hear?!

And 99% of the gears need proper shimming... doesn't take too long on an airsoft gun, but tightening every bolt and reshimming every gear on a fighter might take a bit longer.. :lol:

Forgot about the shimming :) I also used to remove teeth 2 and 3, and space the piston so that it meshed with the teeth better. Then there was adding MOSFETs and LiPo batteries. The things we have to do, eh? :rolleyes:

BBC news this morning British MOD to look at cheaper option to fill this need. F35 over budget & late ,so we will see what they are looking at to replace it or which version we will buy .Daily Telegraph has leaked secret MOD report.

Are BAe Systems involved in the carrier contract too? :hmmm:

I'm also very dubious of any "leaked" goverment document that just happens to land in the hands of a journalist. Often they're leaked purposely to fulfil a purpose - to misdirect or soften the blow of a decision, or to distract from something else by covering the media in "righteous indignation". Cynical? You're dead right! :)

Start practicing Yankee accents boys, y'all gonna be talking that way soon, d'yer hear?!

If we don't sort our act out and have some of these babies on carriers, it'll be Chinese accents you'll be needing to perfect...

Are BAe Systems involved in the carrier contract too? :hmmm:

I'm also very dubious of any "leaked" goverment document that just happens to land in the hands of a journalist. Often they're leaked purposely to fulfil a purpose - to misdirect or soften the blow of a decision, or to distract from something else by covering the media in "righteous indignation". Cynical? You're dead right! :)

I call it "realism" :lol:

Brit workers across the UK are doing magnificent work on the carriers, and on that positive note, I think I`ll leave it at that.

Yes BAe is involved with the carriers, but what do they call themselves just now...is it still `Surface Fleet Solutions` or sum`mit? :hmmm:

Cheers, Ian

Brit workers across the UK are doing magnificent work on the carriers, and on that positive note, I think I`ll leave it at that.

Yes BAe is involved with the carriers, but what do they call themselves just now...is it still `Surface Fleet Solutions` or sum`mit? :hmmm:

Cheers, Ian

It's BAE Systems Maritime - Naval Ships now, I believe...

• 4 weeks later...
Which gives some remarkable symmetry to XM135, one of the earlyEnglish Electric Lightning F1s that were deliver to the RAF.

The first Lightning F1 to be delivered to the RAF in fact and of course the one that did the accidental flight from 33 MU at Lyneham in the hands of an Engineering Officer who hadn't flown anything more powerful than an Oxford or Harvard.

I rather liked Boeing's X-32 in it's final (?) design configuration. It would appear to have a future in Sci-fi movies if some production company needed a design for some future F-XX design :P

jsf-boeing-5-ctolnobkgrnd.jpg

There's just someting about that plane that looks weird. Can't quite put my finger on it though. Not the greatest of looking modern jet I must say but that's only my opinion :)

Eren

I can't make my mind up, if i like it or not! i do not like the polo mint roundel. i have a feeling its going to be a marmite aircraft. Still prefer a harrier !

Edited by goose

There's just someting about that plane that looks weird. Can't quite put my finger on it though. Not the greatest of looking modern jet I must say but that's only my opinion :)

Eren

The nose maybe, always thought it was disproportionately small, sort of like stick a Volvo estate on 14" wheels

Mark

Let's face it, this Government is totally hopeless when it comes to defence, as was the last one. The F-35 program is a complete waste of money, and I believe the Australians already hate it. Why we didn't go for a conventional carrier, with catapault system I will never know. The French, bless them, have nice carriers, that launch Rafales, so what was wrong in developing, at minimal cast, a carrier Typhoon? From what I have seen of them taking off they hardly need a cat. And how long is it before we have a carrier force ready?? Why did we get rid of Harriers?? (Politics of course). And look who bought the Harriers for a song, the US.

Rant over...:angrysoapbox.sml: I'll get me coat... :coat:

PS, yes it is as ugly as sin.

1035173[/url]']

Let's face it, this Government is totally hopeless when it comes to defence, as was the last one. The F-35 program is a complete waste of money, and I believe the Australians already hate it. Why we didn't go for a conventional carrier, with catapault system I will never know. The French, bless them, have nice carriers, that launch Rafales, so what was wrong in developing, at minimal cast, a carrier Typhoon? From what I have seen of them taking off they hardly need a cat. And how long is it before we have a carrier force ready?? Why did we get rid of Harriers?? (Politics of course). And look who bought the Harriers for a song, the US.

Rant over... :angrysoapbox.sml: I'll get me coat... :coat:

PS, yes it is as ugly as sin.

Develop a carrier Typhoon at minimal cost.... Lol!

I can't make my mind up, if i like it or not! i do not like the polo mint roundel. i have a feeling its going to be a marmite aircraft. Still prefer a harrier !

Mmm - minty Marmite, now there's a combination...

so what was wrong in developing, at minimal cast, a carrier Typhoon? From what I have seen of them taking off they hardly need a cat

Do not be seduced by this idea. History shows that carrier capability can't be included at minimal cost unless it's there from the start. The Rafale has it because the original specification included carrier capability. The Typhoon's didn't. Just ask anyone who worked on the F-15N how "easy" it is redesign a land-based aircraft for carrier use. Take-off is the least of the problems - the big one is how to land at a descent rate of 30-40ft a second. The only "cheap" direction is to start with a carrier aircraft and adapt it for land use - or, more often, simply base it on land without any adaptations.

Why did we get rid of Harriers?? (Politics of course). And look who bought the Harriers for a song, the US.

If we'd kept the Harriers, that too would have been "politics". It's all politics. People only spit the word out when it leads to a decision that they don't like, forgetting that it was also the route to decisions that they do like.

Edited by pigsty
  • Like 1