UK to buy 9 P-8 Poseidon Patrol Aircraft.

Julien

UK Defence Journal is saying we are getting P-8s.

As events this week have shown we have a big hole after Nimrod was closed down so its welcome. Maybe not as good as a P-1 IMHO but its good we are getting something! and money was on the P-8 as our crews are keeping current on them.

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/uk-to-purchase-9-p-8-maritime-patrol-aircraft/?utm_source=FB&utm_medium=FacebookPage&utm_campaign=social

Julien

• Like 3

Cue wailing and gnashing of teeth in certain quarters!

I rather liked the p-1 but it was never going to be.

At least this will restore significant UK MMA/MPA capability.

Commonality with the US has worked well for the strategic deterrent and i expect we will see much more of it in years to come.

Edited by Vlamgat9
  • Like 1

The P-1 was just too niche as designed and built in Japan for japan including the engines and airframe. Adapting everything to English, establishing a service and repair facility for just nine aircraft just would have taken too long and cost too much which is why it was a long shot.

Rather glad they have bitten the bullet and opted for the Boeing P-8A Poseidon rather than go for a requirement competition, which would take too long, waste money needed elsewhere to come to the same conclusion as a Hercules refitted to MPA is not really suitable and the Airbus C-295 are more 2nd tier solutions they will still moan and try legal action to try and get their cut of the money for being frozen out, However I do wonder if the news last night of a Russian submarine incursion is to justify the urgent operational requirement to by-pass the standard procurement process ? :winkgrin:

One downside however I did pick up the Welshmodels 1/72nd Poseidon to do as a What-if and now it appears it will be a real world build :mental:

• Like 1

The P-1 was just too niche as designed and built in Japan for japan including the engines and airframe. Adapting everything to English, establishing a service and repair facility for just nine aircraft just would have taken too long and cost too much which is why it was a long shot.

Why? Japan and the UK are both left side driving countries, while the US is a right side driving country. That argument alone should have won the P-1 the contract. No hang on, I'm getting confused here.... :banghead:

But joking aside, I'd have loved to see the P-1, even if it was just for the David vs Goliath argument and helping Japan a little with their struggling economy.

Probably the right decision - but how are we going to refuel it ???

From Wiki.......

The P-8 cannot use the Navy's typical hose-and-drogue in-flight refuelin method, instead featuring a flying boom receptacle on the upper-forward fuselage

We currently have no flying boom equipped tankers..... (but then, nor has the US Navy AFAIK ?)

As for the P-1 - I would have preferred it - but until the Japanese buy more British kit..........................

Ken

Think the american tankers at mildenhalll might be willing to lend a hand, thought if they get based in Scotland or Cornwall that messes that up

Why, RAAF tanker assets are between 600 and 2500KM away from the Classic Hornet fighter SQNs and 1500km from where the P-8 SQN will be based

Cornwall and Lossiemouth are only between 400 and 650 km away. A quick 1 hour shuttle flight

"Think the american tankers at mildenhalll might be willing to lend a hand, thought if they get based in Scotland or Cornwall that messes that up"

How do you work that out? The Typhoons that are intercepting Russian aircraft on a weekly basis are based in Scotland and the Tankers that support them are based in Oxfordshire.

Anyhow, I'm just glad that we won't have to suffer the embarrassment of seeing Russian warships sitting 12 miles of the coast of Scotland with nothing to shoo them away with as we did a couple of years ago. Also glad that we will have a credible type to cover any maritime emergencies in our waters, when Piper 'A' blew up a Nimrod was overhead to co-ordinate all the rescue activities and undoubtedly helped to save many lives that night.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Probably the right decision - but how are we going to refuel it ???

From Wiki.......

The P-8 cannot use the Navy's typical hose-and-drogue in-flight refuelin method, instead featuring a flying boom receptacle on the upper-forward fuselage

We currently have no flying boom equipped tankers..... (but then, nor has the US Navy AFAIK ?)

As for the P-1 - I would have preferred it - but until the Japanese buy more British kit..........................

Ken

Nor could the E-3 Awacs until we and the French bought it and they then added the probe.