Scale ModelWorld 2023

Gordon J

13 hours ago, Ratch said:

I was there from 4pm Friday til 4pm Sunday and didn't see a single BMer

Ancient & Nostalgic Vintage Models SIG

Ratch, you did, but we didn't recognise each other!

Looking at your photos of the SIG, I took several photos of your table, and the Harley and Bentley. I did like the way your SIG had included the photos and descriptions of the model shops, it reminded me of going to similar shops in Cardiff 60 years ago!

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Filler said:

This is important, and another that is probably not unique to SMW, but it should be AGAINST THE LAW to display any kit without an adjacent label/sign stating the scale, a description of what has been modelled and most importantly, the kit used! Whilst the scale is usually apparent, and I guess at the least the nationality of the type modelled is fairly clear, it's not always very clear whether I'm looking at a Tamiya, Hasegawa, Academy, Italeri etc Phantom. But maybe that just tells me that the skills on display prove you can make any kit look as good as the best kit, or that everyone displayed the best kit?

One of the great benefits of the club and SIG displays is that there is a good chance that the builder themselves is sat just there, or if not, a friend who might know more details of the specific build.

So if in doubt, just ask someone at a table.

Often, particularly if they have hacked together an older model to look as good as a newer one, a modeller will be more than happy to boast of this!

I'd agree with that.  Part of the fun of creating a display at SMW is to showcase the clubs talent and maybe bring in new members or new people into the hobby.  Our club tends to build to a theme for the show - this year it was  " Africa" and will either have a printed guide for those who are shy to ask, or always be happy to converse.  The Branch and Sig displays are judged each year for an award of best in show and I think one of the criteria used is the engagement of those behind the table with the paying public.  Have to say can be hard by 2PM on a Sunday afternoon when we are all starting to doze off  😂

Have to say I thought there were lots of traders selling tools this year, many of which were new to me as well as the huge tables at the bottom of hall 1 filled with traditional tools. True there were not that many airbrushes on sale with hands on demo's since " Little Cars" has ceased to trade at SMW but there were at least two traders selling Sparmax and Iwata brushes that I saw.

3 hours ago, Whofan said:

Ratch, you did, but we didn't recognise each other!

Looking at your photos of the SIG, I took several photos of your table, and the Harley and Bentley. I did like the way your SIG had included the photos and descriptions of the model shops, it reminded me of going to similar shops in Cardiff 60 years ago!

Well, you might have seen the back of Ratch's head because you were looking at the Classic British Kits SIG 😁 - Ancient & Nostalgic Vintage Models SIG were back to back with us. Regardless, thank you for the kind words about the display we had a lot of interest and chatted all weekend with punters about their local model shop memories. The Harley was by @Natter and the Bentley @cmatthewbacon

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Ratch said:

I was there from 4pm Friday til 4pm Sunday and didn't see a single BMer

Yes you did. In image 12 there is General Melchett in the brown jacket, and in image 31 there is Julien (glasses) and I (back to you, grey/black jacket)

2 hours ago, JamesP said:

Well, you might have seen the back of Ratch's head because you were looking at the Classic British Kits SIG 😁 - Ancient & Nostalgic Vintage Models SIG were back to back with us. Regardless, thank you for the kind words about the display 

Oh dear, he shoots … he scores … an own goal!!

apologies Ratch, and you too James.

I’ve had a quick look at my photos and I did take some of Ratch’s display, sp phew! Saved!!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Yes you did. In image 12 there is General Melchett in the brown jacket, and in image 31 there is Julien (glasses) and I (back to you, grey/black jacket)

Perhaps I should have said "knowingly" :whistle:

• Haha 2

On 11/11/2023 at 10:35 PM, james37611 said:

Anyone know much about the Eduard stand? 20% off items but that was OK if you knew how much it was none if the boxes had prices unless I was missing something? There were plain white boxes called Eduard (something)

I had a quick look around the Eduard stand and saw no prices on any of their stock. What an amateurish way of doing things! Of course, there may have been some prices, somewhere, but nothing that caught my eye in the two minutes I was there. This REALLY doesn't encourage sales... i just walked away and didn't return. 

Chris. 

58 minutes ago, Flying Badger said:

Very nice Arado @81-er! I missed that one somehow. Although to be fair every time I went in the competition area it was packed with crowds admiring the offerings so what I got to see was somewhat random as the flow of the crowd took me past various tables. 

Thanks! :) It's always tricky to get to see everything in the contest area as so many people are trying to get through it

1 minute ago, spruecutter96 said:

I had a quick look around the Eduard stand and saw no prices on any of their stock. What an amateurish way of doing things! Of course, there may have been some prices, somewhere, but nothing that caught my eye in the two minutes I was there. This REALLY doesn't encourage sales... i just walked away and didn't return. 

Chris. 

As I mentioned earlier, they DID have price lists out Saturday morning, but some "helpful" visitors walked off with them all. They did start to put prices on the packing boxes later

James

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 81-er said:

They did start to put prices on the packing boxes later

I had a browse late on Saturday around 5 and by that point they'd started writing the price in black marker on the packing cardboard boxes of kits... but not all of them. I was tempted by the Tempest but no price on those put me off too. 

Were the show prices much different to their website?

• Like 1

They were slightly more than the Eduard site price, but a fair bit less than UK price. Once you added on the cost of shipping and import duties from buying direct, there was still a saving buying at the show

James

When I posted some photos from Telford, I mentioned for the one of the tank turret on the back of a lorry that I had actually seen a tank turret on the back of a lorry!

Here 'tis;

turret

Art imitates life.

Edited by Whofan
  • Like 5

Chatting to one of the chaps from my club tonight and he told a tale of moving captured Argentinian equipment after the Falklands while he was in the RAF. The Pucarás were easy enough, the very large artillery pieces not so much. Apparently one didn't have working brakes and rolled down the hill on the parade ground and flattened the CO's car...

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Filler said:

This is important, and another that is probably not unique to SMW, but it should be AGAINST THE LAW to display any kit without an adjacent label/sign stating the scale, a description of what has been modelled and most importantly, the kit used! Whilst the scale is usually apparent, and I guess at the least the nationality of the type modelled is fairly clear, it's not always very clear whether I'm looking at a Tamiya, Hasegawa, Academy, Italeri etc Phantom. But maybe that just tells me that the skills on display prove you can make any kit look as good as the best kit, or that everyone displayed the best kit?

You aren’t being serious here, surely not?? 

Ian

On 14/11/2023 at 08:20, Filler said:

Really?

I displayed a kitbash which most people never even noticed, nobody asked about but one or two knew what it was.

It was built up from the parts of 4 different kits, taken from 4 different manufacturers, from 4 different aircraft, in 4 different scales and decals from the spares box from another 4 or 5 models.

By the time those who noticed it and could be bothered to read it, along with a back story, SMW would have closed for the day.

If you don't know what you are looking at, you could always ask.

TBH, more visitors (not exhibitors) were interested in the tray of chocolates than the models.

Hi @IanF and @bentwaters81tfw. No, I wasn't being deadly serious as nobody died. But having said that, I do think it's actually quite helpful and not exactly difficult to plonk a piece of paper next to a model just saying, for example, 1:48 Hasegawa F-4B Phantom. Perhaps if you just happen to be considering buying and building an F-4B Phantom and you happen to be at an exhibition, then it can be an opportunity to see and compare finished examples of Hasegawa's, Tamiya's, Academy's etc versions. I wouldn't expect people to list aftermarket, paint references, brand of glue used etc. And if it is a kit bash, then '1:48 Phantom kit bash' would suffice and you can then ask if you want to know more. I've only once displayed a kit at a model show and I did it and it really wasn't any trouble. And to be fair, I think the majority of exhibitors do manage it.

There were lots of club stands offering tubs of sweets and I for one did help myself on many occasions on Saturday. 😐

The Swiss guys had some lovely chocolates and the Squashies and bon-bons that I found on a club stand in Hall 3 caused a swift return for seconds.

If in future the Club stands could make sure their tubs contain chocolately and sweet as opposed to fizzy and sour then that would be great. 

Cheers 😊

• Haha 5