1/72 Airfix RAAF T.35A Vampire

Hello everyone,

Here’s my latest completion, the 1/72 Airfix T.11 Vampire, built as a T.35A Vampire of 2 Operational Conversion Unit, Royal Australian Air Force, c.1967. I don’t usually build jets (the last jet I built was over 10 years ago), so this is something a little different for me.

tAgi86i.jpg

The kit is another little gem from Airfix. The only fit problem I had with at the lower wing panel roots, and at the roots for the horizontal stabliser pieces, but these weren’t too much of an issue. I did replace the kit cockpit with the Pavla resin set, which I really think helps to set off the busy and cramped look of the cockpit. I also lost the nose gear side door at some point, so had to scratch build another. The glazing also needed a bit of a polish, but it fit like a dream. I had to mask and spray both the outside and the inside given that massive canopy was going to be displayed open.

The model was finished with Alclad RAF high speed silver over gloss black, with the day glow being a mix of SMS Fluro Orange and SMS Fluro Red. Decals came from Xtra Decals. These decals went down nicely, but I did still have some issues with adhesion and cracking / tearing, even after clear coating (some of which required some fairly clumsy repairs – don’t look too hard….). I am still yet to master this brand, I must admit.

fhkbtIK.jpg

0PsygUq.jpg

sofrcs8.jpg

jtGSPPq.jpg

pbUdjgK.jpg

zi6rZ9H.jpg

ykA1ImW.jpg

F7fAbJH.jpg

KBqC9XR.jpg

8Ei1f8w.jpg

6TTsXZu.jpg

79pRmgE.jpg

qm3bk9I.jpg

OuwgGIs.jpg

XwvvByw.jpg

I made a small base for this one, representing a small piece of tarmac (a pre-printed piece of cardboard), a unit patch, and a small label. The ladders and chocks were scratch built.

ku9re1y.jpg

npsTtS9.jpg

wUvcE5d.jpg

All in all, this one took about 6 weeks from start to finish. This is a great little kit from Airfix which goes together well and looks great. Just make sure you add enough nose weight into the front end 😊

LBjACNy.jpg

Thanks for looking – all comments and feedback welcomed!

Cheers,

BC

• Like 68
  • Thanks 3

That's a wow! from me. Very sharply painted indeed, and a really handsome presentation. At 1/72, that must by a tiny thing, but you'd never know it from your excellent work and photography. 

• Thanks 1

Great work on the model, base and photography!

I gave away this kit after seeing the deep panel lines, thinking that it would never look good, but your model makes me regret my decision, I may have to buy it again!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks again all! 

SebTartar - the Pavla set was ok, it was indeed a bit 'blobby' as you say. It did take some careful dry brushing in places, but it's still better than the kit cockpit none the less.

Here's a pic of the Pavla bits unpainted, to give you an idea:

qG6KNl2.jpg

Cheers again!

BC

• Like 1