1946-1964 ('Baby Boomers') GB Chat

CliffB

46 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

I've only got Air Anglia markings so 1970 onwards, if I've understood though that's allowed because the F27 entered service in 1959 and there is no significant alteration?

You're quite right.  You've understood the Rules perfectly :thumbsup:

It's sounds like it could be quite a challenging build, but worth it I'm sure!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

GB's are not normally my thing, but  I am a boomer, and I am spoiled for choice. Now I know we haven't started, which gives me ample scope.

I have tons of stuff of the time period. Most of it in the Rocking Horse corral, and many kits that were actually produced back then and never seen again.

I'm just painting a Piasecki H-16 kit dated 1955, which I will put in the inspiration thread. I will chose a rarity for the timeframe .  

• Like 5

Hi will Concorde qualify for this Group build? Studies started in 1954. France and the UK signed a treaty establishing the development project on 29 November 1962,. Construction of the six prototypes began in February 1965, and the first flight took off from Toulouse on 2 March 1969.

Thanks 

44 minutes ago, Colin W said:

Hi will Concorde qualify for this Group build? Studies started in 1954. France and the UK signed a treaty establishing the development project on 29 November 1962,. Construction of the six prototypes began in February 1965, and the first flight took off from Toulouse on 2 March 1969.

Thanks 

Hmm now thats an interesting question. I think if a prototype had flown/taxied or was at least built then yes. But still on paper at the end of 1964 probably not ? @CliffB can help on this though. 

• Like 1

On 15/11/2022 at 13:00, CliffB said:

So I'd like to propose a Baby Boomers Group Build please, open to any subject that was manufactured from scratch (in any nation), within the period 1946-1964 (inclusive).  Entries may show the subjects later in their careers (i.e. post 1964), but not if by that time modifications have resulted in the subject being re-classified as a different mark, type, variant etc. (relative to its original construction).

To clarify this point. Would a Yak-28PP Brewer E be disqualified, going from a bomber to an ECM platform? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

Yak-28PP Brewer E

According to the description in Wiki. The Yak-28 first flew in 1958. These were modified in the late 1960’s and deployed in 1970. From what I can tell the differences other than antenna’s is completely internal. 

yaPzhCP.png
Personally I think it is all good to go as it is not a significant change airframe wise. 

• Thanks 1

Right, had a scratch around in the stash yesterday and I found the Revell  Hunter FGA Mk 9/58, plus a set of Model Art decals for an FAA cab, plus the FAA detail set.

Set to go...

Colin the Wessex nut.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

According to the description in Wiki. The Yak-28 first flew in 1958. These were modified in the late 1960’s and deployed in 1970. From what I can tell the differences other than antenna’s is completely internal. 

yaPzhCP.png
Personally I think it is all good to go as it is not a significant change airframe wise. 

Cool, now I need to scratch together the Rubles I need and hope it's still at the shop :D! If not, there might be a Su-11 with my name on it as a consolation prize. 

• Like 2

On 1/21/2024 at 10:09 PM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Start a random model.  Hey presto!  Your stash has reduced!  :thumbsup: 

Here to help. 

Problem solved...

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Colin W said:

Thanks 

Hi Colin.  No. I'm afraid Concorde wouldn't qualify. The subject needs to have been built within the qualifying period.

Sorry.

3 hours ago, Evil_Toast_RSA said:

To clarify this point. Would a Yak-28PP Brewer E be disqualified, going from a bomber to an ECM platform? 

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hi both.  The qualification criterion is exactly as written, namely "Entries may show the subjects later in their careers (i.e. post 1964), but not if by that time modifications have resulted in the subject being re-classified as a different mark, type, variant etc. (relative to its original construction)".

So eligibility only comes down to whether or not the Yak-28PP was re-classified as a different variant when it became an ECM platform?  This is a question that I can't answer, but hopefully you guys can :winkgrin:.

Fingers crossed!

EDIT: Please see my next post...

6 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Hi again @Evil_Toast_RSA and @Corsairfoxfouruncle

Looking at the Yak-28 issue again, it appears that the PP variant didn't exist during the Boomer timeframe and therefore unfortunately wouldn't qualify for the Group Build.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Cheers

No worries! Fishpot it is then! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

I'm afraid Concorde wouldn't qualify. The subject needs to have been built within the qualifying period.

Hi thanks for the clarification. Plenty of others in the stash to build instead. 

• Like 1

Staying with Rolls Royce power plant, (and trying to be helpful), there's a strong case that the RR Dart was the plant of the baby boom, being the first civilian turboprop engine,

I'm offering 

Viscount (first commercial application)

Friendship (Fokker were impressed with the Dart on the Viscount and so adopted it)

But that leaves

Argosy (re-engined)

HS748

The Fairchild versions of the Friendship

Gulfstream 1

Herald

Andover

YS11 (for something Japanese)

Re-engined DC3 (not sure if that's eligible)

Convair 600 and 640 (again re-engined so maybe not eligible)

It's almost worth a GB on its own for such a significant power plant!

Edited by Mjwomack
Autocumbered!
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mjwomack said:

Funnily enough, I did propose a 'Rolls Royce Powered' GB a few years ago, but there were virtually no takers :(

A Dart collection would be impressive though!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Staying with Rolls Royce power plant, (and trying to be helpful), there's a strong case that the RR Dart was the plant of the baby boom, being the first civilian turboprop engine,

I'm offering 

Viscount (first commercial application)

Friendship (Fokker were impressed with the Dart on the Viscount and so adopted it)

But that leaves

Argosy (re-engined)

HS748

The Fairchild versions of the Friendship

Gulfstream 1

Herald

Andover

YS11 (for something Japanese)

Re-engined DC3 (not sure if that's eligible)

Convair 600 and 640 (again re-engined so maybe not eligible)

Viscount, now there's a neat subject. Britain's best selling airliner. I have the Air Waves(?) vac-form kit, however, it need new undercart and props!!!

Flew up to Vitoria Falls in one before they were withdrawn from service.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Viscount, now there's a neat subject. Britain's best selling airliner. I have the Air Waves(?) vac-form kit, however, it need new undercart and props!!!

Flew up to Vitoria Falls in one before they were withdrawn from service.

Or perhaps make a nice stand and display it in-flight?

• Like 2

I'd like to join in please.  I'm thinking in terms of the Bristol Superfreighter, which I think was still in service at the time of my birth in 1961.  I remember it featured in the Hippo Book of World Airliners in the 1960s.  A 502 Ulster Squadron Vampire or a Westland Wyvern probably wouldn't come amiss either.

Edited by JosephLalor
  • Like 3