1946-1964 ('Baby Boomers') GB Chat

CliffB

So I now have a problem.

I had hoped to build a 1/350 HMS PENELOPE in this GB and received approval from our GB leader to build her as I served on board in 1988 rather than as she appeared out of build in 1988.  But despite my strong suggestions in the run up to Christmas, none of my family took the hint and so I didn't get the Atlantic Models kit of HMS CLEOPATRA to use as the base for the conversion.  And I have promised my wife that I will not buy any more models until my stash reduces.

So I looked through it yesterday and realised that I have precious few models that will qualify for this GB.

My options are this:

• Airfix 1/48 Sea Vixen FAW2 which just about makes it as the first operational FAW2 unit as far as I can tell was 899 Sqn which first embarked in EAGLE in Dec 1964
  • Airfix 1/48 Buccaneer.  But the S2 variant didn;t even start flight trials until 1965
  • Airfix 1/600 HMS TIGER converted to HMS BLAKE which although she was laid down in 1942, her build was suspended at the end of WW2 and not recommenced until the mid 1950s by which time she had been extensively redesigned.  But because I already have HMS TIGER as a conventional 6 inch gun cruiser as BLAKE appeared when she commissioned in 1961, I'd prefer to portray her as she was post her conversion to helicopter cruiser which occurred from 1965 to 1969.

Original design (this is TIGER):

47ac1513f5efd27a1d1f3b7a3f759e24.jpg

Conversion to helicopter cruiser (BLAKE):

HMS_Blake_(C99)_(7164185221).jpg

My suspicion is that the conversion is too extensive to qualify but would welcome people's views.

Edited by Chewbacca

1 hour ago, Chewbacca said:

My suspicion is that the conversion is too extensive to qualify but would welcome people's views.

Unfortunately, I think you're right.  The conversion is indeed too extensive and changed Blake into a new class of warship (Helicopter Cruiser).  A pity (and about Penelope too).

You're Sea Vixen FAW.2 proposal would fine though :)

Cheers

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

And I have promised my wife that I will not buy any more models until my stash reduces.

Start a random model.  Hey presto!  Your stash has reduced!  :thumbsup: 

Here to help. 

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Start a random model.  Hey presto!  Your stash has reduced!  :thumbsup: 

Here to help. 

A, singular? Come now, W.W.E.M.D?

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Andres Alvarado said:

does the Mig-21 qualify for the GB?

I would say that the F, PF, PFS and PFM versions definately qualify.   Anything from the R onwards is outside the timeframe.

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I would say that the F, PF, PFS and PFM versions definately qualify.   Anything from the R onwards is outside the timeframe.

Thanks Enzo!!! I have a couple Eduard's PF and PFM and I'm sure I have a Revell F-13 somewhere in the stash .... and no, I won´t build all of them

Cheers!

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

OK then... Built in many thousands through the 50s and ubiquitous on Britain's railways.... 

spacer.png

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Not convinced about the "limited production" tag though.  It didn't apply to the real thing and the kit is still in production today! :) 

34 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Not convinced about the "limited production" tag though.  It didn't apply to the real thing and the kit is still in production today! :) 

Totally !.. We mentioned the same thing on the classic Airfix thread when I proposed a BR brake van..  :)

• Like 2

Hmm I have an Airfix Sea king and a vampire in the stash both of which would fit the GB may go for the Sea king  as I’m not a big helicopter fan so otherwise it may never get built :)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

vThis is the next Gb in the launch tube for me, February and I'm falling behind already. Starting to get anxious about my choice of S&M Models Viscount; hope I'm not reading too much into the manufactors name! Strictly OOB so Eagle Airways it'll be.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Starting to get anxious about my choice of S&M Models Viscount; hope I'm not reading too much into the manufactors name!

I built that kit in the 144 GB in 2013.  It's a lovely kit.

014.jpg

Having thoroughly enjoyed the build I decided to see what else the company makes. In my experience, it is a bad idea to type "s&m models" into Google. Once seen, that can never be unseen!!!  :yikes: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

014.jpg

Having thoroughly enjoyed the build I decided to see what else the company makes. In my experience, it is a bad idea to type "s&m models" into Google. Once seen, that can never be unseen!!!  :yikes: 

This needs a thanks,  a like and a laugh all in the same response button 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mjwomack said:

That Avro 730 looks perfect for the Project Cancelled GB.

• Like 2

Hi all, cutting it tight for the timeline, but does an OOB e-type count, I know they were built from 1961, but I'm not expert enough to know if the Revell boxing is an early enough model for this group.

Matt

2 hours ago, MRMRL said:

Hi all, cutting it tight for the timeline, but does an OOB e-type count, I know they were built from 1961, but I'm not expert enough to know if the Revell boxing is an early enough model for this group.

Matt

Hi Matt, I'm pleased to say that your Revell E-Type looks like a Series 1 (amongst other things, the glazing over the headlights is a tell-tale), which were produced from 1961 to 1968.  So that's fine by me :thumbsup:.

It  will be great to have such an iconic subject in the Group Build  (but I fear it will put my Frog-Eyed Sprite to shame!)

Cheers

• Like 3

My one kit per GB rule's gone out the window in the Twins GB but back on track here with Hobbyboss 1/48 lockheed Shooting Star "Saggin Dragon".

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, CliffB said:

Hi Matt, I'm pleased that your Revell E-Type looks like a Series 1 (amongst other things, the glazing over the headlights is a tell-tale), which were produced from 1961 to 1968.  To that's fine by me :thumbsup:.

It  will be great to have such an iconic subject in the Group Build  (but I fear it will put my Frog-Eyed Sprite to shame!)

Cheers

Thanks Cliff, it's on then. I need something small I can do alongside the WW2 twins, 1/32 doesn't leave much space on the bench. Might contribute something bigger if time and builds go well 😉

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

014.jpg

Having read your excellent build, and rummaged in the box, this could indeed be the simplest build on planet simple (I'll get back to you on that), so being of a reckless type and over-ambitious I might throw in a Welsh Models Fokker Friendship as well because it's a vac form. But @CliffB I've only got Air Anglia markings so 1970 onwards, if I've understood though that's allowed because the F27 entered service in 1959 and there is no significant alteration?

Also Air Anglia has yellow in the livery are well as being vac-form! I may have over-egged that because the yellow is handled by the decals apart from on the spinners.

• Like 1