1946-1964 ('Baby Boomers') GB Chat

CliffB

On 11/22/2023 at 9:21 PM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I surveyed The Stash again this afternoon.   I knew that I had an Dapol (ex-Kitmaster) Deltic locomotive in there, but it seems that I have two!  No...   I dunno either.  :shrug:  

So the original Deltic DP1 seems lke an ideal entry for this GB.

450px-Harringay_West_station_deltic_geog

Courtesy Ben Brooksbank Wikipedia Creative Commons

but then I looked at The Scrapbox.   I have two Hornby Deltic bodyshells.  It would be the work of moments to drop a Hornby Bodyshell onto a Dapol chassis and produce an in-service Class 55, which was somewhat different to the DP1.  So I think that's a viable project.  :thumbsup:

I have the kit and a secondhand Bachmann Deltic chassis, which I have been looking at for Wars, as well as some decals and PE. Might be just the GB to put it all together, if I can find everything. Pity it didn't seem to be trialled on the Midland Main Line, and round Trent through to Nottingham. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IanC said:

Cor!! How fast does it go Mister?

"It does over a ton sonny Jim. Now get your grubby mits away from it and be off with you, or I'll give you a clip round the ear" .

Ah, the good old days.

• Haha 6

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Cammer625 said:

I will have a crack with a High Planes Pika (if I can find it). And I will actually try to get this finished as opposed to my previous group builds. We shall see. 

A great choice.  Hopefully, the stars will align this time :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Count me in please.

I haven't got anything in my stash as i only got back into aircraft modelling this year, but i like shopping 🙂

I am thinking maybe an Airfix 1/72 EE Lightning at this point, but that could change.

George

• Like 2

I've just replaced the belt on my bench mounted belt sander. The old one was more a polisher than an abrasive, it was so old.

By way of a test for the new belt, I dug out a couple of Contrail vac form kits that have been waiting ages for sanding. The sander made short work of part prep and as I was on a bit of a roll,  I went for broke and started sanding the parts to a Contrail B36 Peacemaker! 

It may well be a bridge too far, attempting this beast as well as some of the others I have planned for the year, but I reason that there's a whole year to make headway on them. What could possibly go wrong?

I'll hold fire on any assembly and add the build to this GB. Next year is going to be full of big builds at this end.

Tony.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2023 at 2:59 PM, heloman1 said:

Count me in, I'm going to have to dig into my stash.

Right, on the end of the GB time span. I was born in 1946 and I joined the Fleet Air Arm, January 1964, closing both dates. I have a Russian pop of the venerable Frog Fairey Gannet, the first type I worked on as a sproggy NAM on 849 NAS. On instruction, on decals so a scratch around the spare box and Scalemates.

Colin

• Like 3

20 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Right, on the end of the GB time span. I was born in 1946 and I joined the Fleet Air Arm, January 1964, closing both dates. I have a Russian pop of the venerable Frog Fairey Gannet, the first type I worked on as a sproggy NAM on 849 NAS.

It's great that the dates work so well for you Colin :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CliffB said:

It's great that the dates work so well for you Colin :thumbsup2:

Thanks, I'm probably going to be the oldest member in the GB!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Courageous said:

Not on the participant list but hopefully I'll be able to throw a suitable subject into the mix, a 1/72 Centurion tank by Ace.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart, the Centurion will be a nice addition to the Group Build :thumbsup2:

I'm no longer adding names to the list, as it served its purpose and got us in to the Bunfight.  So there's no need to be on the list in order to participate - the more, the merrier :)

Cheers

• Like 1

A page or two back, I mentioned adding a Vac Form B36 to the thread. It might still happen but I'm having thoughts on the whole Baby Boomer thing.

I'm a BB myself yet I have no connection at all to the B36 other than its years of service coinciding with some of mine. A much better bet would be to build something closer to the heart, and that something is Hot Rod shaped.

Returning WW2 US service personnel lost no time at all making up for lost time and getting on with building some of the most inventive and beautiful cars, Racers, street driven Hot Rods and Custom Cars. Those cars had a huge impact on me and I couldn't get enough of them.

My GB builds are going to reflect that passion.

Tony.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

:thumbsup:  I look forward to seeing your builds.

I might do the Big I Am and build a copy of my full size '32 Ford Roadster using a Monogram 1.8 Roadster kit. A Baby Boomers dream ride if ever there was one. It was a very long time in the making.

If it doesn't quite fit with the criteria there are a ton of other early'32's that will fit perfectly. One way or another, a '32 will be built.

Here it is at Pendine Beach with my better half driving. She had never driven it before. I threw her the key, told her that reverse is first, first is second and second is third, with third being where fourth is usually located.  Being German, it all made sense and she didn't break it. Had she not inadvertently let up after the first timing mark she would have run faster than me.

pendine-2014-278-copy.jpg

• Like 6

9 hours ago, TonyW said:

If it doesn't quite fit with the criteria there are a ton of other early'32's that will fit perfectly. One way or another, a '32 will be built.

It would be great to have a 'Hot Rod' in the mix Tony - as long as the original was built (completed), during the Boomer timeframe :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

It would be great to have a 'Hot Rod' in the mix Tony - as long as the original was built (completed), during the Boomer timeframe :thumbsup:

That would mean my vanity project won't cut it. Ho Hum. A Joe Nitti Roadster or maybe a Doane Spencer one instead then. Or a Grey Baskerville one, or a Robert Williams one, pre hippy paintjob though. Thoughts of a box stock build of Monograms beauty are never far away, but which one, red full fendered or yellow hiboy? Help!

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Joe_Nitti's_1932_Ford

https://kustomrama.com/wiki/Doane_Spencer's_1932_Ford

https://uk.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrkNP13r4ZlQhUTjhZ3Bwx.;_ylc=X1MDMjExNDcxNzU1OQRfcgMyBGZyA3locy1oaWRkZW4tZXBpYwRmcjIDc2ItdG9wBGdwcmlkA1ZwdXFCOElJUVF1YVFZbXdDYTEuaUEEbl9yc2x0AzAEbl9zdWdnAzQEb3JpZ2luA3VrLnNlYXJjaC55YWhvby5jb20EcG9zAzAEcHFzdHIDBHBxc3RybAMwBHFzdHJsAzI1BHF1ZXJ5A0dyZXklMjBCYXNrZXJ2aWxsZSUyMHJvYWRzdGVyBHRfc3RtcAMxNzAzMzI1NTY5?p=Grey+Baskerville+roadster&fr2=sb-top&hspart=hidden&hsimp=yhs-epic

Enzo will have an answer to the dilemma. All I'll need is about thirty 1.8 scale Monogram kits and a Henry Ford style production line. Hmmm...

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 15/11/2023 at 14:27, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I'm considering an EE Lightning.  It would have to be an early Mk 1 to fit within the 1964 constraint.

Still considering this.  I have been sorting through The Stash to see what I can use.  I now find myself on the horns of a dilemma.  I have a Sword Lightning F1 kit.  I also have four Alley Cat resin conversion sets to convert the Airfix Lightning F6 to an earlier mark.  So which one to use?

But it gets worse...   I have a decal sheet for early Lightnings.  It features an early Mk 1, XM144, in three different marking schemes, all of them second line roles.  One is for 1960, which would be a definite as it fits within the GB timeframe.  The others are from 1966 and 1972.

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but two out of those three are a definite possibility.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/10/2024 at 4:57 PM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I'm not saying it's going to happen, but two out of those three are a definite possibility.

Decisions, decisions!  :winkgrin:

On 10/01/2024 at 16:57, Enzo the Magnificent said:

After due consideration, I can now say it's going to happen.  :thumbsup:

Lightning F1 XM144 in two different marking schemes.  Wattisham Target Facilities Flight, 1962 and 60 MU, 1966.

One will be from the Sword kit while the other will be the Airfix F2A kit converted using the Alley Cat resin set.    I can hardly wait!  :bounce: 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

After due consideration, I can now say it's going to happen

I assume you received approval from Gideon, the all-encompassing spreadsheet

:)

• Like 1