1946-1964 ('Baby Boomers') GB Chat

CliffB

12 minutes ago, bianfuxia said:

This GB is open to anything from the stated time period, right? Not just aeroplanes? I was thinking to do a few of my early spacecraft - Vostok & Mercury. Maybe a Convair 990 too.

Absolutely to correct!  To quote the initial post, the GB is "open to any subject that was manufactured (in any nation), within the period 1946-1964 (inclusive)". 

Your spacecraft would be very welcome additions :thumbsup2:.

Cheers

First of all, thank you to those who have already cast a Bunfight vote for this GB  

It's been a great start but, as we all know, there's still along way to go.  Please keep the faith!

I'm continuing to flip-flop on what I might build.  My current leaning is towards this...

P1130769.jpg

Cheers

• Like 4

11 hours ago, CliffB said:

First of all, thank you to those who have already cast a Bunfight vote for this GB  

It's been a great start but, as we all know, there's still along way to go.  Please keep the faith!

I'm continuing to flip-flop on what I might build.  My current leaning is towards this...

P1130769.jpg

Cheers

That would be a great choice Cliff, certainly not a kit we see built everyday.

Can I clarify that this is a combined GB with the 1950's aircraft one that Dennis proposed that a subject that qualified for that GB (ie operated in the fifties but built during WWII) would still be eligible. 

• Like 1

Seeing as my first choices for GBs are currently sinking fast, it's looking like a quiet year for me GB wise, so I started looking through my stash to see what other GBs I could enter 🤔

As I only build cars now (mainly F1 and Group B rally) my choices are somewhat limited, but I found these stashed away that I had forgotten about, they were a cheap model show buy, but didn't fit in with the rest of my F1 stash which is 1/20, so I put them away and forgot them.

Looking briefly into the history they were both raced at the end of the 40s early fifties, so they should fit in nicely here if you'll have me :) 

Ian :) 

20220510_182337

• Like 4

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Can I clarify that this is a combined GB with the 1950's aircraft one that Dennis proposed that a subject that qualified for that GB (ie operated in the fifties but built during WWII) would still be eligible. 

Thanks for this Craig.  To be honest, I didn't spot this this small, but important, contradiction between the qualifying criteria for both GBs when Dennis approached me about a merger!   Please leave it with me for a bit and I'll discuss further with Dennis.  I'm sure we'll find some means of accommodation ;).

Cheers

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Redstaff said:

Looking briefly into the history they were both raced at the end of the 40s early fifties, so they should fit in nicely here if you'll have me :) 

Superb choices Ian - welcome aboard!

• Thanks 1

On 11/2/2023 at 5:58 PM, modelling minion said:

OK, a decision on this has been made!

Given that any aircraft that operated during the 1950s (regardless of when it was manufactured), would have qualified for the '1950s Aircraft' GB proposal, this will be honoured within 'Boomers' now that the two GBs have merged.

However, in order to retain the integrity of Boomers (which has always been about celebrating the advancements in design that occurred during the post-war period),  a separate Gallery will be provided for subjects that were manufactured before 1946.

It's a bit of a fudge, but hopefully one that will keep everyone reasonably happy.

It's probably also worth me mentioning (purely for those who don't know the history), that Boomers is the 'senior partner' in the merger - having qualified for the Bunfight in its own right.

Cheers.

• Like 5

I hadn't spotted this previously but it was only when submitting my votes in the binfight that it came up.  If it gets through, count me in (depending upon timings - I don;t habve enough time at the bench to do 2 GBs simultaneously).  The Fleet Air Arm had so many fabulous aircraft in this period that it would be a shame not to do one of those (probably a 1/48 Sea Vixen or Wessex 1), but depending upon how long we get I could be tempted with an Atlantic Models 1/350 Cathedral or Leander class frigate.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Grandboof said:

Looks like time to extract those British civilians I mentioned way back .  Probably the Heron that didn't get to start in the DH build . 

Martin H

Yes Martin, that Heron definitely needs to take to the runway :thumbsup2:

You've inspired me to look at my 1/200 stash, where I see a trio of suitable Avro prop-liners - Lancastrian, Tudor and 748.  I'm tempted ;).

Cheers

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

The Fleet Air Arm had so many fabulous aircraft in this period that it would be a shame not to do one of those (probably a 1/48 Sea Vixen or Wessex 1), but depending upon how long we get I could be tempted with an Atlantic Models 1/350 Cathedral or Leander class frigate.

I'm glad that you found us eventually and can bring some iconic FAA aircraft to the party :thumbsup:.  Having said that, I think you may be the first to propose a ship model, so that would be exciting too!

Cheers

• Like 1

• CliffB changed the title to 1946-1964 ('Baby Boomers') GB.

Not promising anything.  Will depend on the dates.  The issue with ships and GBs is the lack of time.  I rarely complete a ship in less than 8 months; that said I did finish a fully scratch built/3D printed 1/350 HMS HECLA in last year's Falklands 40 GB and a White Ensign Models 1/350 HMS BRAVE in the Salty Sea Dog GB earlier this year.  I will be asking Mr Enzo for an extension on day one though!

• Haha 2

This could be a good excuse for me to enter a USN Skyraider - built in the late '40s, in service in Vietnam in 1965. Would that be eligible?

Full disclosure - I was born 25 years after the end of the scope of this GB :lol:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DaveJL said:

This could be a good excuse for me to enter a USN Skyraider - built in the late '40s, in service in Vietnam in 1965. Would that be eligible?

Hi Dave.  Yes, following the merger of this GB with @Corsairfoxfouruncle's "50s Aircraft" GB proposal, all aircraft in use during the Boomer timeframe are eligible, regardless of when they were manufactured.  There will be separate galleries though, for subjects built pre- and post- 1946.

A Skyraider would be good :thumbsup:

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CliffB said:

Hi Dave.  Yes, following the merger of this GB with @Corsairfoxfouruncle's "50s Aircraft" GB proposal, all aircraft in use during the Boomer timeframe are eligible, regardless of when they were manufactured.  There will be separate galleries though, for subjects built pre- and post- 1946.

A Skyraider would be good :thumbsup:

Cheers Cliff, just wasn't sure if it would be eligible if the scheme I'm going for was from 1965, but of course the machine was built in the late 40s!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not far to go until the end of the Bunfight and suddenly the Boomers position is looking less secure! :violin:

So if you've leant your Boomer vote to another GB that appeared to be more in need, it might be time to ask for your vote back please :winkgrin:

Cheers

• Sad 1

• Enzo the Magnificent changed the title to 1946-1964 ('Baby Boomers') GB - 17 Feb to 9 June 2024
4 hours ago, CliffB said:

Just to say thank you to all who've supported Boomers along the way and got us through the dreaded Bunfight!  :cheers:

Really glad this got through and I've got a lot that fits, currently fancying a B-57, but that could change. All B-57s were manufactured in this timeframe, but is one in a scheme after 1964 eligible, thinking a SEA camo rather than natural metal? (but not a later remanufactured example.)

Thanks

Chris

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Really glad this got through and I've got a lot that fits, currently fancying a B-57, but that could change. All B-57s were manufactured in this timeframe, but is one in a scheme after 1964 eligible, thinking a SEA camo rather than natural metal? (but not a later remanufactured example.)

Thanks

Chris

I believe so ? If memory serves as long as the object was created during the time frame of 1946-1964 then it would pass muster. @CliffB said this on page 3. 

The intention is to feature subjects that were themselves built within the Baby Boomer timeframe -so ideally the actual airframe being modelled.”

I think this covers your question ? 

Dennis

• Like 2