Jump to content

1946-1964 ('Baby Boomers') GB Chat


CliffB

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Already got two subjects in mind and a potential large build eligible if a paint test buld goes well and then I go and disscover another future large build I have in the stash is eligible the airframe in mind was built in 1962........oh no 

 

Decisions, decisions! :footy:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, CliffB said:

 

Decisions, decisions! :footy:

Before I get to that (famously bad at decision,just look how long it took to decide on the dakato for the twins GB), just need an eligibility check (which probably gives the subject away), does an 21st century airshow version of an aircraft built in the timeline count? 

Edited by PhantomBigStu
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

does an 21st century airshow version of an aircraft built in the timeline count

 

Yes, provided it's still classified as being the same mark or variant as when it was first manufactured 👍

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, CliffB said:

 

Yes, provided it's still classified as being the same mark or variant as when it was first manufactured 👍

Ah that potentially derails it (and if you haven't guessed it yet, this is even more of a clue), the one in question was twice converted before being reconverted back the the original variant......

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, PhantomBigStu said:

Ah that potentially derails it (and if you haven't guessed it yet, this is even more of a clue), the one in question was twice converted before being reconverted back the the original variant......

 

As you've got other options Stu, it might be better to pick something else.  Something that more clearly complies with the Rules of the GB 👍

 

Thanks

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, CliffB said:

 

As you've got other options Stu, it might be better to pick something else.  Something that more clearly complies with the Rules of the GB 👍

 

Thanks

In the sanity of a new day I agree, and I’ve found another small build from the stash that I hadn’t even considered as eligible, that gives me 2 definite with a third possible with the option to go large with a valiant if I have another loss of sanity 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hopefully I got everything right... guess that an early US Navy Jet would be eligible. Would be an aircraft built after 1946 and would have been retired by 1964, so things like Panther, Cougar, Cutlass and the like would be fine. Thinking of one of these or maybe a French late '50s jet... or a British early '50s jet but I see there's already quite a few of these

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Hopefully I got everything right... guess that an early US Navy Jet would be eligible. Would be an aircraft built after 1946 and would have been retired by 1964, so things like Panther, Cougar, Cutlass and the like would be fine. Thinking of one of these or maybe a French late '50s jet... or a British early '50s jet but I see there's already quite a few of these

 

That all sounds good Giorgio, although the retirement date isn't relevant to the eligibility.

 

Cheers

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, CarLos said:

I wonder if this may be considered for the GB. I have doubts about the 25% rule. For me it's only 23.75% done, but others may think 35% or more...

53534081622_e4f9bbe2dc_c.jpg

I'd say go for it, it's in more pieces than some kits to begin with ! 😁

Plus it's good to keep the old red flag flying with some more Soviet equipment... 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

In addition to already applied project (ESCI F-100D), I've decided to finally make courage to make some civilian vehicle.

Choice fell on Heller 1/43 Citroen 2CV - it fits perfectly to GB criteria, and it doesn't have too much parts, so hopefully build will be pretty straghtforward.

 

citroen-2cv-001.jpg

 

Cheers,

Srđan

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CarLos said:

I wonder if this may be considered for the GB. I have doubts about the 25% rule. For me it's only 23.75% done, but others may think 35% or more...

53534081622_e4f9bbe2dc_c.jpg

Well by the looks of it and unless the wings come as one solid piece. Id say you're below the 25% mark. Considering all the assembly, sanding, polishing, re-scribing, and painting. I think this pretty much falls below the 25% mark. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/11/2024 at 11:13 AM, Chewbacca said:

Thanks - didn't think to look at Hannants.  Unfortunately they're out of stock so have put one on backorder and hope they might get some more.  As you say, a much more sensible price.

 

I was thinking the two tone sand/green Junglie scheme from the Malaya/Borneo campaign though a red/blue SAR cab is tempting.

 

I also need to source the blade fold gear/tail pylon fold though I can probably scratch build/3D print if necessary.

The first scheme of o/a Light Stone 'Sand', looks good.

In the mean time until you book arrives and you want to crack on, build from the box until you get it all buttoned up. Then add some external detail.

 

Colin

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Colin.  That is a distinct possibility simply because I'm not a fan of masking for disruptive camouflage, but I I think I will go with the two tone scheme purely because I have nothing else like in in the display cabinet (that said, I don't have an overall sand either...).  What's the recommended nearest match to that sand colour?  I normally use Tamiya, Vallejo or at a push Humbrol,

 

The book was dispatched early last week and was supposed to have been with me on Wednesday.  Latest forecast is 20-24 Feb!

Edited by Chewbacca
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/14/2024 at 12:23 AM, zebra said:

An eligibility question for @CliffB and @Corsairfoxfouruncle - the BAC One-Eleven 200 series is eligible, but the one I want to build is a 300. It's externally identical (I think) to the 200, it was a 200 with an uprated engine and higher fuel capacity. But it didn't fly until 1965. How much is too much modification to get to a different variant - is this enough to make it ineligible, or would it being identical to the 200 keep it on the right side of the line? 

 

I'd really like to build it, but I'm ok if it's ineligible, it fits a GB later in the year.

I'm curious - which GB would a series 300 be eligible for?

 

According to my reference book only nine were built and all delivered to British Eagle or Laker Airways in 1967/68 (the first to fly was G-ATPJ on 20 May 1966).

 

Perhaps one of those ended up "South of the Rio Grande" later in its life - will have to investigate on Planespotters.

 

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

I'm curious - which GB would a series 300 be eligible for?

 

According to my reference book only nine were built and all delivered to British Eagle or Laker Airways in 1967/68 (the first to fly was G-ATPJ on 20 May 1966).

 

Perhaps one of those ended up "South of the Rio Grande" later in its life - will have to investigate on Planespotters.

 

Mike


It’ll be eligible for Made In Ukraine - it’s the TwoSix release of the EE kit. I know EE is Russian but this one was moulded in Ukraine so should count.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/16/2024 at 10:03 AM, PhantomBigStu said:

In the sanity of a new day I agree, and I’ve found another small build from the stash that I hadn’t even considered as eligible, that gives me 2 definite with a third possible with the option to go large with a valiant if I have another loss of sanity 

Oh no, sanity is draining away and I’ve found a xtradecal sheet with a 617sqn Vulcan that is eligible…..must resist the voices 

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I don't see why not ? Its original design phase started in 1946. Last operational use in 1961 which fits in the existing timeline. 

Thanks Dennis I wasn't sure since it was "Un-piloted" That means I have a Snark and an F-94C Starfire for this GB.:yahoo:

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/20/2024 at 11:42 AM, zebra said:


It’ll be eligible for Made In Ukraine - it’s the TwoSix release of the EE kit. I know EE is Russian but this one was moulded in Ukraine so should count.

Excellent news, I hadn't realised where it was moulded but can now consider an American Airlines 1-11 400 for the MIU GB

 

Mike

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, LorenSharp said:

Thanks Dennis I wasn't sure since it was "Un-piloted" That means I have a Snark and an F-94C Starfire for this GB.:yahoo:

Well I don't think piloted was a requirement ? Just that it be manufactured or used in said timespan. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...