1946-1964 ('Baby Boomers') GB Chat

CliffB

4 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I'm considering an EE Lightning.  It would have to be an early Mk 1 to fit within the 1964 constraint.

AFDS, Target Faculties Flights, or earliest 74sqn. springs to mind :hmmm:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Threadbear said:

I’ve got a Monogram F-102 for this GB. Such a cool aircraft. Have the markings got to be from the specified era or just the type? 

Hi Grahame.  The important thing is when the aircraft was built.  Post '64 markings would be fine :thumbsup2:

As you say, it's a cool choice!

Cheers

• Like 1

I've got a Kadar (Lincoln) Viscount 700, but no suitable markings for it.

I see that Kingkit has a photo of a Lindberg Mk.IX Spitfire in its Scrapyard, but the caption is for something else altogether.  I am tempted to email to check, but know I shouldn't!

• Like 2

On 15/11/2023 at 12:08, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I believe so ? If memory serves as long as the object was created during the time frame of 1946-1964 then it would pass muster. @CliffB said this on page 3. 

The intention is to feature subjects that were themselves built within the Baby Boomer timeframe -so ideally the actual airframe being modelled.”

I think this covers your question ? 

Dennis

So on that basis then, could I theoretically build HMS PENELOPE, laid down Mar 61, launched Aug 62, commissioned Oct 63, but portrayed as I served in her in Aug/Sep 1988?  She'd had multiple refits in the intervening 25 years and her appearance was very different (Exocet, Seacat, larger flight deck and hangar, no Limbo mortar or Mk 6 turret - bit more than a different paint scheme!).

Whilst I think it is in the letter of the GB rules, I am not sure I would be in the spirit but interested in what others think 🙂

2 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Whilst I think it is in the letter of the GB rules, I am not sure I would be in the spirit but interested in what others think 🙂

The qualification criterion is that the subject must have been built within the timeframe 1946-64.

It would be churlish to exclude such a subject later in its life just because a few minor changes have been made to it, but there will come a point when the changes mean that what you're looking at, clearly wasn't all built within the requisite timeframe.  

So a few updates to a ship's armament would probably be OK, but significant, visible structural modifications wouldn't be.

From what you're saying, it sounds like the mods to HMS Penelope may have been too extensive?

Cheers

7 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

a DC7c lurking in the stash,

It's a Broplan with all that entails, have got a nice set of f-decal KLM 40th anniversary decals to go with it. Alas well over the 20% for this GB, but I might try to rework the fuselage, the wings, well everything with a KUTA, just to enjoy applying the decals at the end.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

The qualification criterion is that the subject must have been built within the timeframe 1946-64.

It would be churlish to exclude such a subject later in its life just because a few minor changes have been made to it, but there will come a point when the changes mean that what you're looking at, clearly wasn't all built within the requisite timeframe.  

So a few updates to a ship's armament would probably be OK, but significant, visible structural modifications wouldn't be.

From what you're saying, it sounds like the mods to HMS Penelope may have been too extensive?

Cheers

Well here she is as she was in 1963:

48961599291_c7c39f259c_b.jpg

And here's what she looked like just before I joined her in 1988:

2471918988_640b63b1cf_c.jpg

So 4.5 in gun replaced with Exocet and 40 mm Bofors replaced with twin Seacat launchers on the hangar roof.  The only structural change was lengthening the hangar to take a Lynx and extending the flight deck aft over the Limbo mortar well.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

So 4.5 in gun replaced with Exocet and 40 mm Bofors replaced with twin Seacat launchers on the hangar roof.  The only structural change was lengthening the hangar to take a Lynx and extending the flight deck aft over the Limbo mortar well.

Thanks @Chewbacca

Having had a chance to sleep on this (and also considering the implications on subjects other than ships), I'm tempted to say that all post-build modifications are permissible, up to the point where those mods result in the subject being re-classified as a different mark, type or variant.  This approach has the obvious benefit of being somewhat more objective than my previous guidance!

I know next to nothing about ships, but as I understand it, Penelope was classified as a Type 12I frigate when she was built.  Did that classification ever change as a result of her subsequent re-fits?

Cheers

15 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Well here she is as she was in 1963:

48961599291_c7c39f259c_b.jpg

And here's what she looked like just before I joined her in 1988:

2471918988_640b63b1cf_c.jpg

Interesting how little she changed in 25 years, from the outside the profile is very similar (recognising the armament has totally changed). Most of my model aircraft will look more different in profile depending on what's hanging on the pylons and colour schemes show a lot more variation. 

Nice to see a Leander class in the GB, most common Royal Navy ship built in the 60s? I've flipped to a '63 built and first flown RDAF F-104 in a late '80s scheme, because I did build a Starfighter in my boomer youth.

Chris

• Like 2

I surveyed The Stash again this afternoon.   I knew that I had an Dapol (ex-Kitmaster) Deltic locomotive in there, but it seems that I have two!  No...   I dunno either.  :shrug:  

So the original Deltic DP1 seems lke an ideal entry for this GB.

450px-Harringay_West_station_deltic_geog

Courtesy Ben Brooksbank Wikipedia Creative Commons

but then I looked at The Scrapbox.   I have two Hornby Deltic bodyshells.  It would be the work of moments to drop a Hornby Bodyshell onto a Dapol chassis and produce an in-service Class 55, which was somewhat different to the DP1.  So I think that's a viable project.  :thumbsup:

• Like 5

On 11/22/2023 at 9:21 PM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I have two Hornby Deltic bodyshells.  It would be the work of moments to drop a Hornby Bodyshell onto a Dapol chassis and produce an in-service Class 55, which was somewhat different to the DP1.  So I think that's a viable project.  :thumbsup:

This sounds very impressive Enzo, even though I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about!  I look forward to being educated :winkgrin:

• Haha 1

On 11/20/2023 at 11:23 AM, Mjwomack said:

I'm still in with a Viscount, but also found a DC7c lurking in the stash, will exhume it and see what state it's in (at least I remember buying it, but not what happened after that)

Scrap the DC7c (very tempting but it's got one last chance in KUTA), but I'm still up for two because with characteristic BM generosity @Paul821 is giving me a Welsh Models F27 in Air UK Livery- F27 (Friendship enterered service in 1958 so in the timeband. If I've understood the later AirUK livery is permitted though?

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 2:22 AM, CliffB said:

OK, a decision on this has been made!

Given that any aircraft that operated during the 1950s (regardless of when it was manufactured), would have qualified for the '1950s Aircraft' GB proposal, this will be honoured within 'Boomers' now that the two GBs have merged.

However, in order to retain the integrity of Boomers (which has always been about celebrating the advancements in design that occurred during the post-war period),  a separate Gallery will be provided for subjects that were manufactured before 1946.

It's a bit of a fudge, but hopefully one that will keep everyone reasonably happy.

I just discovered this GB when I was reviewing the list of successful 2024 “Bunfighters”.   I’m planning on joining in ( have several potential subjects in the stash), but want to ask about a couple of potential subjects.  After reading this thread…..

1. I’m pretty certain my Academy F-104C Starfighter qualifes.  The “C” model entered USAF service in 1958, so it is good, even if I opt for the Vietnam camo scheme from ‘66-‘67.  

2. WW2 subjects that served in the 50’s are OK.  ( Latin American Air Forces and their P-51s, etc.).  Closer to my heart are ex-navy types flown by the US Coast Guard in the 50s, such as the Martin Flying boats, which are OK too.

3.  What about converted ships and aircraft?  The only mention I saw was that conversions/re-designations could take an eligible subject built in the boomer years and make its 1970s version ineligble.    But what about in the other direction?  Some examples:

a.  A standard B-17G, built in 1945, never entered service before the war ended.   In ‘46, 18 of them were converted to a PB-1G as a long range SAR aircraft- guns removed, air-droppable lifeboat added.  The USCG used them throughout the 50’s.  This meets the “Flew in the ‘50s”  standard for the junior partner, but is it enough of a change to be a “ Boomer”, too?

b.   Converted ships.   Classic example: Cousteau’s Calypso.  Built as a WW2 minesweeper, converted to the research ship in the 50s. (Lots of war-surplus auxiliaries were converted to all sorts of new uses after the war…)

I don’t have strong feelings one way or the other- I’m just looking for some general guidance…..

-Bill

6 hours ago, RC Boater Bill said:

I just discovered this GB when I was reviewing the list of successful 2024 “Bunfighters”.   I’m planning on joining in ( have several potential subjects in the stash), but want to ask about a couple of potential subjects.  After reading this thread…..

Thanks for your queries Bill

Items 1 and 2 fine, as you say.

3a wouldn't qualify as a Boomer - it's got to be a new build, not a conversion.  As you note, there's still some scope for post-war use of WWII aircraft, via the "used in the 50s" qualification route.

3b wouldn't qualify at all.  Again, to qualify as a Boomer the subject would need to be a new build.  Also, the "used in the 50s" route is only available to aircraft (as it came directly from the '50s Aircraft' GB proposal).

I'll tweak the criteria in the first post (again :winkgrin:), to further clarify things.

Cheers

• Like 2

Subject chosen. Wanted something that first flew in my birth year. An X-15 would of been nice, but tracking down a 1/48 Special Hobby at a reasonable price was not easy. So another option was chosen and promptly ordered:

BM Talon WIP1

And a nice early scheme using the Caracal sheet.

BM Talon WIP2

Now that is a paint scheme I am really looking forward to.

Ray

• Like 5

11 hours ago, CliffB said:

Thanks for your queries Bill

Items 1 and 2 fine, as you say.

3a wouldn't qualify as a Boomer - it's got to be a new build, not a conversion.  As you note, there's still some scope for post-war use of WWII aircraft, via the "used in the 50s" qualification route.

3b wouldn't qualify at all.  Again, to qualify as a Boomer the subject would need to be a new build.  Also, the "used in the 50s" route is only available to aircraft (as it came directly from the '50s Aircraft' GB proposal).

I'll tweak the criteria in the first post (again :winkgrin:), to further clarify things.

Cheers

Thanks- one more I thought of:   Ships can take years to build. Example:    The three ships of the USS Midway class were started during the war, but all three were commissioned after the war ended.   Eligible?   I  would say “yes”  - that using “first entered service” as the “build date” for multi-year projects (such as ships) is a simple global rule that won’t need further rulings- one that keeps with the spirit of the GB…

• Like 1

On 21/11/2023 at 05:58, CliffB said:

I know next to nothing about ships, but as I understand it, Penelope was classified as a Type 12I frigate when she was built.  Did that classification ever change as a result of her subsequent re-fits?

Cheers

IIRC, she was planned as a Type 41 Batch 2 Cat class frigate (HMS PANTHER), then their Lordships changed their mind and ordered her as a Type 61 Batch 2 Cathedral class HMS COVENTRY, but then both of these follow on classes were cancelled in savings cuts and the order was converted to a Type 12 Improved Leander class

• Like 1