1/48 - de Havilland DH.115 Vampire Trainer T.11/J28C by Pilot Replicas - released

Homebee

I'm really hoping that this is built from a clunky test shot.

The rear fuselage/tailcone area of both the kit and three view drawings is a work of fiction and doesn't follow the actual aircraft at all.  I'm wondering if it's a result of what @NAVY870 says with the wing chord appearing to being too great.

The wing itself looks too thick, not only at the leading edge but also at the tips (which also looks too rounded) and the trailing edges.

1920px-De_Havilland_DH115_Vampire_bankin

Edited by 71chally
re-posting picture link
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, 71chally said:

I'm really hoping that this is built from a clunky test shot.

The rear fuselage/tailcone area of both the kit and three view drawings is a work of fiction and doesn't follow the actual aircraft at all.  I'm wondering if it's a result of what @NAVY870 says with the wing chord being too great.

The wing itself looks too thick, not only at the leading edge but also at the tips (which also looks too rounded) and the trailing edges.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Havilland_Vampire#/media/File:De_Havilland_DH115_Vampire_banking_with_the_sun_reflecting_off_its_silver_wings_(cropped).jpg

It's not a test shot that has been built up, as far as I understand it's the released kit

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, general melchett said:

The Vampire T.11 is one of my favourite aircraft so the news of PR doing one in my favourite scale was music to my ears BUT, and I hate to get into speculation before getting hold of the plastic, something does seem a bit off here.

Vampire T.11 wing trailing edge fillet area.

Also, the wings on the models shown appear to be quite deep and lack a sharper more defined leading edge. (Aircrew just keeping getting younger!) The 'crease line' of the leading edge should be central and not in line with the top of the intake which would suggest that the chord of this portion of the wing is incorrect. Just my observations from what are admittedly test shots. Must wait and see.

Vampire T.11 leading edge.

Yes that leading edge doe look suspect.

• Like 1

:crying: That is a big, fat juicy F for failure. 

COMP0.png

comp3.png

Comp2.png

UPD - thanks general melchett

COMP6.png

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5

I’ve waited so long to be able to do a 1/48 T.11 I’ll happily live with any problems and try to correct as much as I can. I’ll be long gone by the time any bugger else gets round to doing a kit. Might have to try and practice some of that ‘modelling’ we’re always talking about.

• Like 6

Yeah, it is a kit I wanted but, life's too short to deal with this level of inaccuracy.  Hard pass.  Then again, your mileage may differ.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Homebee said:

:crying:

Comp.png

comp3.png

Comp2.png

V.P.

I like this post. Nice comparison to show the supposed issues.

Well done. 

Andy 

• Like 2

Having recently stared at the Airfix T.11 quite a bit, I agree with the above criticisms (I think the Airfix kit is pretty accurate) but would also add that the trailing edge mid-span change in sweep doesn't look pronounced enough?

Just curious:

-Is the plastic of the wings thick enough to give room for some serious thinning/sharpening of the leading edge? There is very little surface detail that would be lost/has to be restored. Or:

-Can the fuselage be grafted to a set of Airfix wings?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tomas Enerdal said:

Just curious:

-Is the plastic of the wings thick enough to give room for some serious thinning/sharpening of the leading edge? There is very little surface detail that would be lost/has to be restored. Or:

I would strongly suspect some thinning of the wing halfes (like in the good old days...) should help. 

And the wing tip shouldn't be an issue to fix as well. 

But so far I'm waiting for the plastic to arrive to see. 

The other suspected issues also remain on the 'to be verified' list so far. At least for me. 

• Like 1

I'm glad I've got the CA kit... 

Will be interested to see some more built up though.

On the plus side, the PR kit could have the forward fuselage mated with the Airfix kit to make a more accurate T11. 

22 hours ago, petetasker said:

I’ve waited so long to be able to do a 1/48 T.11 I’ll happily live with any problems and try to correct as much as I can. I’ll be long gone by the time any bugger else gets round to doing a kit. Might have to try and practice some of that ‘modelling’ we’re always talking about.

8 hours ago, Tomas Enerdal said:

Just curious:

8 hours ago, Ka-Efka said:

I would strongly suspect some thinning of the wing halfes (like in the good old days...) should help. 

And the wing tip shouldn't be an issue to fix as well. 

But so far I'm waiting for the plastic to arrive to see. 

The other suspected issues also remain on the 'to be verified' list so far. At least for me. 

This is where we're heading. I wasn't planning on getting the lovely Airfix kit of the fugly variant but am beginning to see this as a, hmm, necessary side-by-side venture. 

Tony 

18 hours ago, Ad-4N said:

Yeah, it is a kit I wanted but, life's too short to deal with this level of inaccuracy.  Hard pass.  Then again, your mileage may differ.  

These are minor issues really. Nothing like the disaster that is the Trumpeter Vampire.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wellsprop said:

I'm glad I've got the CA kit... 

Will be interested to see some more built up though.

On the plus side, the PR kit could have the forward fuselage mated with the Airfix kit to make a more accurate T11. 

I have that and the Aeroclub kit, which can still be built into a nice replica. The Aeroclub comes with parts for all the single and two seat variants 

Old fashioned thinning of the wing from the "inside" should help. The problem is if the wing profile is off, i.e. if the wing profile is more like a Hawker Typhoon than a Mk.22/24 Spit. Then the  leading edge will look too blunt anyway.

And I agree the wing tip shouldn't be a problem.

And again, even if the plastic of the wing is not thick enough for heavy sanding, it can be reinforced from the inside with miliput...

It's not a test shot that has been built up, as far as I understand it's the released kit

If that's the case Johan, just going by these images, then it's quite disappointing. I think I'll hold off a while and see what detailed reviews turn up. I didn't even notice the awful windscreen shape, it seems that the nose area, forward of the windscreen, is way too flat.

2-01e82e70-de47-42a5-83ab-a3a72609ca87.w

De-Havilland-D-H-115-Vampire-Trainer-Mk-

Image courtesy of Wikimedia Commons, link here.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:De_Havilland_D.H.115_Vampire_Trainer_Mk.55_(VT-8)_K-SIM_03.jpg.

I thought something looked off in this CAD view.

138794043-3777202385633078-7887676265812

Edited by general melchett
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, general melchett said:

If that's the case Johan, just going by these images, then it's quite disappointing. I think I'll hold off a while and see what detailed reviews turn up. I didn't even notice the awful windscreen shape, it seems that the nose area, forward of the windscreen, is way too flat.

Thanks general.

😥

And all that for 679 SEK, so +/- £51.00  !

COMP6.png

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1