Spot of the day, Part 4

keefr22

As the last thread rolled over 40 pages and has subsequently been locked by Mike, I thought I'd kick off part 4.

Only thing seen today (and for the past few months) was a 1979 rally prepared Mini 1275GT. Covered in lockdown deliveries cardboard boxes. 

But I see that every day as it's been lanquishing in my garage for the last 4 years....

Keith

• Like 6

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

I see that every day as it's been lanquishibg in my garage for the last 4 years....

Ha!!!  I'm in a similar position with the 1967 Volvo Amazon estate that is lurking under a cover at the side of the house outside my kitchen window...  It is currently on sabbatical following MOT failure about five years ago (both the engine & dashboard need to come out to fix everything properly) having been my everyday car for the previous 14 years but it is currently in even more disgrace as it currently refuses to start.  This is most un Volvo like behaviour, and am still troubleshooting why the engine won't turn over.  However I've only this evening found a replacement starter motor for a bargain price so hopefully that will resurrect it.  It is already half restored so it will go again - the only issue is when, as it is an extremely useful workhorse.  In the meantime, it makes good overflow storage from the garage...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if this really counts as a spot of the day, but anyway last week whilst visiting a client I ended up in a room I have never visited before and this painting was on the wall.  Apparently its been there that long no-one knows who did it or how long its been there.   Whilst I can obviously recognise the Ford's and the Triumph,  can anyone identify the blue car in the centre?   Andy

p?i=7bd8d5817e19ac6a1a537b6563ad53b8

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, johnlambert said:

That would be a Monica, I believe.  A Euro-American hybrid saloon, made in France with a Chrysler V8, like a latter-day Facel Vega.  Only around 35 produced.

Hi John,

Just Googled it and you are quite clearly correct.   But I can honestly say that I have never even heard of one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I had read upon it on Wiki as it was new to me too. It's very much a design of it's time and not horrible looking, but could perhaps have used a tweak or two.

It's a shame they never found a decent engine. Though that Chrysler V8 worked in the Jensen and others. 

It feels to me like there was a touch of DeLorean in the project as a whole. It could have been good but....

• Like 1

Sitting on my porch today, I heard this coming well before I saw it.  First glance, coming up 59th Street - I saw it past a couple of my friends in the nhood garden.  Just in case the guy turned left, I took out the phone:

50848097597_e22b1820b7_b.jpg

50848011971_b627b1aa68_b.jpg

Nice if not a noisy ride.  As for the number plate on the door (s) - well, there's also a license plate on the bumper meaning it's street legal....yeah.  Get a better muffler and lose the number plates.  I don't think anyone equates 59th Street with Laguna Seca.   Hate to be parochial about this 😄 - to each their own....haha

Cheers

Nick

• Like 3

A Porsche "rumble" should be what it is and not interfered with. The guy at the end of our street (cul-de-sac) has a 2006 Carrera 4S; doesn't drive it much, but you can tell when he's going out in it - deep rumble, lovely sound!

• Like 3

Hi @MR2Don, yeah, I was sort of joking about the noise.  Funny enough, the couple I mentioned in the garden have a nice 911 - he had the heads reworked and so on - - it sounds great, and clearly means business.  The guy in the red car above, well, who knows? maybe a weekend racer?  It was easy to tell he had some serious engine work done, but it was loud! Seems to be pretty popular around here, newer Chargers, Cudas, Camaros, Mustangs, Audis, and BMWs that are tuned with manual transmissions - the owners race up the RPMs in first, then drop the clutch for a loud crackle out of the pipes.  For a while it was pretty cool to hear, now, getting a bit old - 😄 

Edited by Stickframe
  • Like 2

How about an on line spot? If you remember Jonny Smith from Fifth Gear, then you may know that he now has a thing on the Tube.

After trying, Car Pervert and Hub Nuts it's now, The Late Brake Show. Car reviews etc are carried out.

If you are a long term Mustang fan, runaway NOW

I'm sorry but, for me, No. I don't care how it drives. It looks like a Hyundai. No Ford badge? Were they ashamed? 

I've no idea what it costs, but I bet I could get a half decent '67 for less. And I'd be far happier. Discuss.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Watched the thing live on Goodwood Speedweek last year. Completely and utterly horrendous. 

And as to 'on-line spots', just in my humble opinion but the best Youtube car channel has to be Harry's Garage - Harry Metcalfe who founded Evo magazine and does excellent, unbiased 'reviews' of cars I'll never be able to afford, highly watchable with no histrionics! 

Keith

• Like 2

Yes I've seen Harrys garage, but the cars on there don't interest me. I prefer the older stuff and barn finds/restos etc.

On one of the Smith & Sniff episodes, (on the tube) they pondered on a Glastonbury style Harrys garage.

He's off his head, and any Hippy types that turn up can thrash his cars around the fields. Such fun!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I prefer the older stuff

He does own a Lancia Fulvia Zagato which is my favourite car of his! He's planning to do endurance rallies in it when the chinese bug allows, and has promised a series of restoration and rally prep videos of it. Can't wait!

Keith

• Like 2

In local wheeler dealer have a BMW 6-series , but sadly in very rusty. And I don't know what model it really is. There are M-badges in it, but Alpina interior. I think those were never together in really manufactured car.

Edited by Vesa Jussila
  • Like 1

I spotted this yesterday, but I was away out till just a short time ago.

All the stars were alignment; I had my camera, this was parked up, there was a space for me to park near by, not much passing traffic, the rain had stopped for a few minutes

New%20VW%20Beetle%20Pick-up%20conversion

Captain's Table being a local chippy to me but 7 miles from where this was parked as an advertisement

I wonder if I should try doing this to an old Airfix or Revell 1/32* old type/original Beetle?

* that being my car modelling scale

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I wonder if I should try doing this to an old Airfix or Revell 1/32* old type/original Beetle?

The German Post office did that post war with a box on the back, I think there is a 1/35th model out there somewhere.

Better would be this newer model. No engine back there, so you can extend the pickup bed, or easily make a van.

It has been done for real.

Saw a couple of nice classic Minis today.  A green Cooper on the A17 by RAF Cranwell, and a sporty looking red one at the Holdingham roundabout a few minutes later.

Trevor

• Like 2