F/A-18 STGB Chat

Anatol Pigwa

I've built a half-dozen Hornets over the years. Nary a tail sitter and all without nose weight.

I'd add it if adding resin exhausts (and then, the nose weight would end up being a resin cockpit), but otherwise you are good, the main wheels are far enough aft that it's a non-issue on Hornets.

Edited by Adam Maas
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

For the benefit of those who have just tuned in (and who are interested in such dry things), near the top of page 8 I've got a statistical summary of this Group Build- so far I'm maintaining it there.  Except, having come back after a couple of hours I see I've got some more updating to do- good show, chaps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

I really don't want a tail sitter for my first 1/48 wheels down build!!!

Never needed any nose weight. The CG of most F-18 models is just behind the centre drop tank pylon, forward of the main wheels, which pivot aft from their attachment points.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a question about the Airfix kit - no sniggering down the back, someone's got to build it. The boxing is from 1990:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-04032-mcdonnell-douglas-f-18-hornet--953054

The US Navy subject is from VFA-15 "Valions", operating from Theodore Roosevelt in the Atlantic in 1988. The camouflage scheme is Humbrol 127 over 147, mapping to FS 36375 Light compass grey over FS 36495 Light grey. I have never seen this before, and it would be a very pale scheme. The "standard" low-vis scheme at the time would have been FS 36320 (Dark compass grey) over FS 36375 (Light compass grey), as in Humbrol 128 over 127.

Should I just ignore the instructions and go with the tried and tested FS 36320 over FS 36375?

Aside: The Germany-based Canadian subject also has a "non-standard" scheme of Humbrol 145 over 127, or FS 35237 Dark blue grey over FS 36375 (Light compass grey). However, there is a photo in the reference thread which seems to agree with this.

The Canadian scheme is correct and is the standard CAF/RCAF scheme. That's why Canadian Hornets always look blueish on top.

I can't find any pictures of the 302 bird in 1988 for VFA-15, but the 305 is all over google from the ramp at NAS Fallon in 1988 and is definitely in 36320 over 36375. 

That said, the scheme is legit, and was the early US Navy scheme on the Hornet. 

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/fa-18/fa-18a_profile01.shtml

Note the glare panel painted in 35237 which likely was missed on the Airfix paint callouts.

Edited by Adam Maas
  • Thanks 1

I recall that very early USN / USMC F/A-18As did have a different lighter paint scheme. The topside color was FS 36375 and undersides were FS 36495 while the area in front of the cockpit up to the cannons was painted in FS 35237 (anti glare). This Hornet paint scheme was later changed into the well-known two-tone greys FS 36320 topside and FS 36375 underside.

I only have this image, but I do have a VERY old issue of Aero Magazine illustrating an F/A-18A of VMFA-531 that is also sporting this lighter paint scheme.

FA-18-A-USN-tps-1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Adam Maas said:

The Canadian scheme is correct and is the standard CAF/RCAF scheme. That's why Canadian Hornets always look blueish on top.

I can't find any pictures of the 302 bird in 1988 for VFA-15, but the 305 is all over google from the ramp at NAS Fallon in 1988 and is definitely in 36320 over 36375. 

That said, the scheme is legit, and was the early US Navy scheme on the Hornet. 

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/fa-18/fa-18a_profile01.shtml

Note the glare panel painted in 35237 which likely was missed on the Airfix paint callouts.

2 hours ago, Sierra Mike Sierra said:

I recall that very early USN / USMC F/A-18As did have a different lighter paint scheme. The topside color was FS 36375 and undersides were FS 36495 while the area in front of the cockpit up to the cannons was painted in FS 35237 (anti glare). This Hornet paint scheme was later changed into the well-known two-tone greys FS 36320 topside and FS 36375 underside.

I only have this image, but I do have a VERY old issue of Aero Magazine illustrating an F/A-18A of VMFA-531 that is also sporting this lighter paint scheme.

FA-18-A-USN-tps-1.jpg

Thanks guys for the clarification. The pointer on the anti-glare panel is especially appreciated. I am also planning on building a Hasegawa F/A-18C, for which both subjects sport the "standard" FS 36320/36375 scheme. It would be good to have the two kits with contrasting schemes.

EDIT: For some reason, I've hit my "reaction limit" for today, but I'll remember to thank your posts as soon as I can.

Edited by klr

15 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

OK - so unknown territory for me here - wheels down builds - my garage ceiling is kinda congested so I am getting a display cabinet from Ikea...so I will have to start selectively build and paint those wheel thingies....

Anyone know if this Italeri/Academy 1/48 F/A-18F needs nose weight...if so what to people use? Fishing lead shot? How much? Super glued in? The instructions have the nose weight symbol in the icon descriptions but it does not have the symbol used in the actual build instructions....this indicates to me not needed?

FullSizeRender(104).jpg

FullSizeRender(108).jpg

FullSizeRender(107).jpg

I really don't want a tail sitter for my first 1/48 wheels down build!!!

Any advice/tips most welcome - thanks in advance!

Super Hornet's are pretty balanced so I wouldn't be too concerned. Pylon mounted weapons balance in front of or parallel to the rear wheels.  

The Hasegawa kits (similar design) don't need it so you south's be safe but if you're concerned put some weight in the nose. 

You can also get aftermarket metal landing gear which should also help

• Thanks 1

Forgive the lazy question, just idle curiosity on my part: I've seen some chat that the Super doesn't have the speed brake on top (even though one kit of it gives you one!)  So was it replaced by a different design, or did they decide it wasn't really necessary?

Oh, another question: on Legacy Hornets, what does the wing (bottom) look like when a pylon is not fitted?  I'm thinking that there must be some access panels or some such?

Edited by gingerbob

3 hours ago, gingerbob said:

Forgive the lazy question, just idle curiosity on my part: I've seen some chat that the Super doesn't have the speed brake on top (even though one kit of it gives you one!)  So was it replaced by a different design, or did they decide it wasn't really necessary?

Oh, another question: on Legacy Hornets, what does the wing (bottom) look like when a pylon is not fitted?  I'm thinking that there must be some access panels or some such?

The Super Hornet has two small speed brakes on the shoulders, immediately inboard of the slats. They're the parallelogram panel right forward of the 'vent' on the shoulder.

As to the underside on the Legacy hornet, I believe you see the two round attachment points and a small access hatch for the cabling.

• Thanks 1

I have three Revell 1/144 Hornets in the stash, and if this is not a good enough reason to build them, I don't know what is. Build them all I mean. They all look to be very good kits, and all have excellent Cartograf decal sheets, two of them designed by Daco. They are an F/A-18D, an F/A-18E, and an EA-18G. I'll still be building the aforementioned 1/72 Airfix kit, and maybe one other 1/72 kit.

107021-10789-pristine.jpg

102217-10263-pristine.jpg

467884-92-10000-pristine.jpg

• Like 3

Not sure if folks here have come across the F-14 Tomcast podcast/vodcast series (it’s available on YouTube and via podcast platforms). I’ve just caught up on episode 9, which is about the F-14D (incredible jet, bring it back!), and the guest is a former F-14 pilot who also flew the classic and Super Hornets. It’s well worth a listen/watch as he has some really interesting perspectives on the relative strengths of both platforms. Worth having on in the background while you’re at the bench.

So maybe thinking of entering this STGB to kick start my mojo. Gotta be 10 years since my last one (Hobbyboss F/A-18A 1/48) thinking of a Super Bug this time but my previous experiences with the Hasegawa & Revell kits wasn't pleasant. 

Wondering about the recent Hobbyboss and Meng offerings, watched reviews on y/T etc what's in the box and full builds but still can't decide with manufacturer to go with. 

Anyone got anything positive to say about either?... First we decide manufacturer then variant choices although Foxtrot models and Growlers are my favourites as the 2 seat jets just look cooler

• Like 1

Oh dear! As if I had not already got a dozen or more possible contenders for this GB, I have now seen several more on the build list which I could possibly do ( how did I forget the Hs 129 and the Phantor FG 1 ), but frankly I am not going to have the time and I will definitely need another shelf in my roof! Seriously though, this looks like another "biggie" so Col and Co are going to be very busy.

Cheers

Pete

5 hours ago, mungo1974 said:

Wondering about the recent Hobbyboss and Meng offerings, watched reviews on y/T etc what's in the box and full builds but still can't decide with manufacturer to go with. 

Anyone got anything positive to say about either?

I'm building the Meng kit now and it goes together pretty nicely. I'd definitely recommend it.

spacer.png

• Like 1

I have added my spare parts of weapons from the F-18 in free to a good home if any has a need for more hardware.   I may yet  build another before the expiry date too.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Paul J said:

I have added my spare parts of weapons from the F-18 in free to a good home if any has a need for more hardware.   I may yet  build another before the expiry date too.

If you have a ATFLIR pod going it would be used!!

Is that on the buy/sell part of the site?

10 hours ago, Tim Moff said:

If you have a ATFLIR pod going it would be used!!

Is that on the buy/sell part of the site?

I listed it under 'free to a good home. Most have all ben spoken for but the pod you ask about, can you give me a description of it or the kit part numbers. I know VERY little about pods on modern jets. All I recognise are sidewinders, drop tanks and bombs and sparrows.

10 hours ago, Paul J said:

I listed it under 'free to a good home. Most have all ben spoken for but the pod you ask about, can you give me a description of it or the kit part numbers. I know VERY little about pods on modern jets. All I recognise are sidewinders, drop tanks and bombs and sparrows.

Very kind Paul, looks like your build is 1/72 so no worries - I am sure someone will snap anything left up!

On 09/01/2022 at 08:42, gingerbob said:

Well, except for that one guy, but we mostly ignore him.

On 09/01/2022 at 10:20, Bertie Psmith said:

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten him.

Oi!  I'm standing right here, yannow! 

• Haha 1

I don't think I've seen so many "clipped wings" in one place before, with all these brave chaps dropping flaps!

Which reminds me, does anyone know whether there's any definite "logic" in the leading edge flaps?  Do they only move when the trailing flaps are down to a certain point, or something like that, or does every surface do what the computer tells it to do regardless?

• 2 weeks later...

It has just occured to me, I recall seeing Hobbycraft did a Hornet. Does anyone have one or know much about the kit. And what about the Airfix ones. How does that compare with the likes of Hasegawa and our favourite the Academy kits? I'm talking about 1/72nd kits.