F/A-18 STGB Chat

Anatol Pigwa

Sign me up! Hasegawa’s 1/72 F/A-18F is now on order, thank you Black Friday. Kit decals are for the VFA-11 Red Rippers CAG jet.

F-14B_and_FA-18EF_VF-VFA-11_Banking_Tomc

Might do that, it’s a great looking jet and the red and black will match the VF-51 scheme the F-14 I’m building is about to be adorned in.

Or, just as likely, I’ll spend countless hours on the web browsing aftermarket decals…

On 28/11/2021 at 13:12, Wings unlevel said:

Sign me up! Hasegawa’s 1/72 F/A-18F is now on order, thank you Black Friday. Kit decals are for the VFA-11 Red Rippers CAG jet.

F-14B_and_FA-18EF_VF-VFA-11_Banking_Tomc

Might do that, it’s a great looking jet and the red and black will match the VF-51 scheme the F-14 I’m building is about to be adorned in.

Or, just as likely, I’ll spend countless hours on the web browsing aftermarket decals…

Oh yes, the black Friday Tore a hole in my pocket as well...

• Haha 1

On 05/03/2021 at 12:32, Anatol Pigwa said:

I am actually inclined to waive the 25% rule for this STGB.

The only hard and fast rule for GBs is that buying and selling is not allowed in the GB forums.  Everything else is at the discretion of the GB hosts.

If you don't want to use the 25% rule in your GB, then that's fine.  :thumbsup2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gooday from Switzerland,

new forum member here. I would like to join the Hornet GB please. I am planning to build a 48th scale F/A-18D in Swiss Air Force colours.

The planned kit for that purpose is the slightly oldish Hasegawa "World Hornet", which I intend to spice up by adding some aftermarket details: IFF antennas, photo-etched cockpit panels, burner cans of the F404-GE-402 EPE engines, and some more.  Since aircraft are being designed to fly, my Hornet will be built to represent an inflight situation. I have not decided yet in which attitude though. I am as well toying with the idea to go with a slight "what-if"-twist, i.e. the bug being armed with additional two Meteor BVRAAMs on stations 2 and 8.

I really enjoyed browsing the forum until now, I think the time has come to participate. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, MagpieFNQ said:

p?i=df4d3f74b7f441ceed0a3d0673c90343

I've just pushed the button on of these beauties, getting ready for the Xmas break and a GB or 2

This is in my opinion one of the, if not THE, best looking paintscheme ever made in the USN. I remember the Jolly Rogers with their Tomcats 😍

13 hours ago, Sam said:

This is in my opinion one of the, if not THE, best looking paintscheme ever made in the USN. I remember the Jolly Rogers with their Tomcats 😍

It is a beauty isn't it? 
However I'll be doing an RAAF scheme which is sadly a little bit dull compared to a CAG bird

On 10/9/2020 at 6:07 PM, FortyEighter said:

Count me in too please - Hobbyboss "C" and Swiss Tiger Meet decals waiting to be built.

Mike

Hey Mike, will be closely following that one, obviously 👍🏽

• Like 1

There's this Monogram "legacy Hornet" kicking around my stash, and I'm strangely tempted to join in.  I say strangely because it isn't a type I usually give any attention to.  I've already got a potential scheme in mind, though...  (I might have been tempted to do a Finnish one, but my God they're boring- grey with a teensy wittle roundel one place or another).  My (real, if "special") scheme is NOT grey... or for that matter Blue Angels Blue.  (I also kinda want to do a Navy Test Pilot School example, but I've got to find a D (I think) for that.

9 hours ago, gingerbob said:

There's this Monogram "legacy Hornet" kicking around my stash, and I'm strangely tempted to join in.  I say strangely because it isn't a type I usually give any attention to.  I've already got a potential scheme in mind, though...  (I might have been tempted to do a Finnish one, but my God they're boring- grey with a teensy wittle roundel one place or another).  My (real, if "special") scheme is NOT grey... or for that matter Blue Angels Blue.  (I also kinda want to do a Navy Test Pilot School example, but I've got to find a D (I think) for that.

My favourite schemes for legacy Hornets are the numerous special display liveries from Canada. Really cool designs.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 13:10, Sierra Mike Sierra said:

Let me in! I like to join with a F/A-18D. OK, nothing special, but didn't see a "Delta" in the group yet (sorry if I overlooked somebody 😉).

Stefan

Slight change in the subject: Today I got the Kinetic F/A-18D ATARS - and now I want to join with that one...

• Like 1

oh course it had to happen, buy the Hasegawa EA-18G Growler, get lots of AM stuff.... then Meng announces they are about to release their version!!!  Plus it's cheaper than my Hasegawa version as well! :wall:

• Haha 4

18 hours ago, trickyrich said:

oh course it had to happen, buy the Hasegawa EA-18G Growler, get lots of AM stuff.... then Meng announces they are about to release their version!!!  Plus it's cheaper than my Hasegawa version as well! :wall:

That's always the way!  But at least you get BM modelling karma for taking one for the team!  :thumbsup: 

Maybe I should start my DJH Claughton and force Hornby or Bachmann into releasing an RTR version...  :hmmm:

https://www.djhmodelloco.co.uk/prodpage.asp?productid=3260

• Haha 1

y4mSYvI2588khyoU2h80JXcxOjM72VW0Z1lX9_3y

I'm in with this, as previously discussed, since Santa came through for me this year. (There would have been trouble if he hadn't considering the amount of bribes I've been sending to him lately!)

Anyway, I want to ask about the 25% rule. The bomber GB and the Big and British GB are both treading on our tails as we walk through the winter season and I have big builds in both of them. I want give myself a chance at all three GBs by starting my Hornet a week early. I'd be doing a few of the time consuming, but boring things like ordnance, seats, wheel painting and so on which shouldn't add up to a quarter of the build. I don't mind if that gets me barred from the poll (Is there a poll?) but I'd rather not be ejected from the group so I thought I'd better seek guidance from @Anatol Pigwa before I open the box.

So what's the drift here?

• Like 1

This one is sneaking up quicker than expected!

I will probably go for a Spanish Hornet... either the extinction fearing Ala 46 from the Canary Islands , an Ala-15 cat schemed special, or a short lived but colourfully appealing Seville/Moron based ex Navy Aggressor...  ( Ala-11?) .....

Ir another one joining the Super Hornet club? MENG or Hasegawa..

I would fancy one of the heavy loaded Syrian veterans...with up to 10! Gbu-32... or the Su-22 killer as alternative ( can it be done in one plane? Anybody knows? Of course not on the day of the shoot down...

)

• Like 2

12 hours ago, exdraken said:

This one is sneaking up quicker than expected!

I will probably go for a Spanish Hornet... either the extinction fearing Ala 46 from the Canary Islands , an Ala-15 cat schemed special, or a short lived but colourfully appealing Seville/Moron based ex Navy Aggressor...  ( Ala-11?) .....

Ir another one joining the Super Hornet club? MENG or Hasegawa..

I would fancy one of the heavy loaded Syrian veterans...with up to 10! Gbu-32... or the Su-22 killer as alternative ( can it be done in one plane? Anybody knows? Of course not on the day of the shoot down...

)

You mean this one?spacer.png

• Like 1

Good to see this GB is looming very quickly now.   As I have mentioned earlier here I have three 1/72 Academy legacy Hornets and a number of Leading Edge decal sets... more than I need.  In order to keep within the rules, I will offer these in the for sale thread. I see in the kit decals Spanish and RAAF options, so I may build one of these as well as an RCAF one.  I think they will keep me busy during the time of the GB.   Keeeeeep   Bugging!!

On 12/26/2021 at 7:57 PM, Bertie Psmith said:

So what's the drift here?

Sounds like you would be well within the 25% rule Bertie, I am doing similar as otherwise I won't get anything finished.

19 hours ago, exdraken said:

Seville/Moron based ex Navy Aggressor

Planning one of those myself Werner, there's always room for more than one similar scheme in a GB. I am planning one of the desert schemed ones, were you planning the same or one of the blue/grey ones?