F/A-18 STGB Chat

Anatol Pigwa

7 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Stupid question no. 1:

Do the Super Hornet's wings have any anhedral?

Cheers,

Bill

Not a head on shot unfortunately but looks like the wing tip is a little closer to the ground than the wing root.

IMG_4470

HTH

AW

• Like 2

Thanks mates - that's good to know. The resin wings I'm using on my Hasegawa kit look to have a slight anhedral when securely in position. I guess I'll add some glue! What I don't see in these wings, though, is any of the characteristic "twist" that the legacy Hornets have. I assume the Super Hornet had a similar twist. But, with the leading and trailing flaps lowered on the model, it will be difficult to see anyway.

Cheers,

Bill

A question about the RAAFs Hornets in their early scheme, I guess delivery colours? Did they just have the same as the USN ones of the day, Dark Ghost Gray uppers & Light Ghost Gray lowers? The Hawkeye decals I'm using have colour calls which don't seem to equate to these shades but may me a better match for an in service machine with a bit of fading. Any thoughts on alternatives would be welcome.

Steve.

6 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A question about the RAAFs Hornets in their early scheme, I guess delivery colours? Did they just have the same as the USN ones of the day, Dark Ghost Gray uppers & Light Ghost Gray lowers? The Hawkeye decals I'm using have colour calls which don't seem to equate to these shades but may me a better match for an in service machine with a bit of fading. Any thoughts on alternatives would be welcome.

Steve.

I followed the Hawkeye call outs on mine:  Dark Blue-Grey over Light GhstvGrey.

51886602628_7fb5d6f5f3_b.jpg

AW

• Like 1

On 2/23/2022 at 3:42 PM, stevehnz said:

Thanks @Andwil that looks good, might I ask what  paints you used, it is the call for XF-23 that has me confused but maybe I have to paint them out together to see what they look like. I was heading toward Humbrol 127 & 128.

Steve.

Steve, I used MIG AMMO acrylics from their “US Navy Colours ‘80s to Present” set, specifically A.MIG 210 FS 35237 Grey-Blue and A.MIG 203 FS36375 Light Ghost Grey.

AW

• Thanks 1

I've had a paint out of the Testors shades of those FS colours & the 35237 is definitely blue gray but quite dark, far darker than the Hornet in the photo looks or even how I remember them, a bit unreliable this far down the track of course. I was interested to see that Airfix gives a colour call of HU127 Light Ghost grey for the uppers & Hu 147 light grey for the undersides. Having painted these out as well, I reckon 127 is too warm for LGG but Hu167 which some charts give as an alternative has a better blue grey shade & similar tone (?) light/darkness, as the 127, as for the 147, I'll have to try it, to my eye it has a greenish tinge to it. I see mixing looming perhaps.

Steve.

On 07/01/2022 at 20:09, gingerbob said:

Here are some stats

Thanks for tracking all the builds Gingerbob. At the midpoint of the GB I’m surprised the Marines are underrepresented, and hopefully Kuwaiti and Malaysian jets make an appearance too.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A question on F/A-18 Super Hornet and EA-18G flame holders.

My current build is a RAAF EA-18G 6 Sqn 2018 era. Pictures of the jet nozzle show what appears to be a ceramic coated flame holder usually seen as two quite easily photographed concentric circles like so.

BM EA-18G c29 flameholder

Super Hornet and/or possibly earlier aircraft show the flame holder as follows:

BM EA-18G c28 flameholder

I have the Reskit set with the correct nozzle (i.e. notched "turkey feathers") and the instructions seem to show a PE fret that appears somewhat like the concentric ring type. However the supplied fret is the other type. 

BM EA-18G c30 flameholder

Looks like I will need to fabricate something. I expect Reskit (Ukrainian company) has bigger issues at the moment.

I was hoping the F/A-18 aficionados may have more detail on Super Hornet/Growler flame holders that may help. Apologies in advance for burrowing in on such minutiae.

Ray 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Lol, second group build of the year I’ve made it into the gallery the last 5 minutes. Thanks to the hosts for hosting and that look very nice diverse and colourful range of builds in the gallery when I went through it this afternoon and I think a few more new ones appeared whilst I was finishing mine that I look forward to viewing in the morning 

• Like 1

sorry to say I missed this one thanks to the clowns at Ronin Graphics... waited 2 month for the decals and nothing, cancelled order on Friday, got money back on Sunday with a smart bottom comment that my decals were ready to be sent on Monday (today)....yeah right!!!  :fuyou_2:

But the model gods smiled on me and the replacement set of decals arrived today from Syhart in France, just 2 weeks form the time of order. Note they only take orders 1 week a month for 7 days, then post out orders, so decals only took 7 days to get here! Now that is awesome service!!  :thumbsup:

some picks in the thread!

• Like 2

Well chaps, before this group build disappears over the horizon behind us, even though I did my usual "I came, I saw, I got distracted", I really enjoyed it.  I'd have put F-18s very far down on my list of interesting airplanes, but to some degree I'm willing to reconsider! 

bob

• Like 2

Apologies to those speed bunnies who'd finished their builds & posted them in the gallery before I even started, you didn't get any reactions, now fixed, a lot of really class builds there. Thanks too to those who supported me as I struggled to make sense out of an unfamiliar type. It was good to have the encouragement, it could have felt lonely at the rump end of the GB otherwise. :)

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

it could have felt lonely at the rump end of the GB otherwise

Hi Steve, 

I had to laugh. What is beyond the rump end? That is where I am. One build at a time discipline kicking in - my MiG-21 and M4A3E8 are calling - but, I'll keep at it. 

BM EA-18G c96

On 4/11/2022 at 6:40 PM, trickyrich said:

Ronin Graphic

Hi Rich,

Unfortunate you did not get your Ronin decals in time. I was lucky and received mine and I have to admit I am enjoying the decaling experience. Per Ronin instructions - warm water and no decal solutions. Using very warm water based on my Tamiya experience. They are settling down nicely.

2 hours ago, coneheadff said:

I will definitely finish my Hornet in the near future,

Hopefully stick at it and put up some posts. 

On 4/13/2022 at 10:25 AM, gingerbob said:

I'd have put F-18s very far down on my list of interesting airplanes, but to some degree I'm willing to reconsider! 

When I saw your name on the list I thought 'not your usual fare' and thought there must be a story behind this that I have missed. For me being an Australian, I love the Hornet and would of liked to build the legacy Hornet if I could of got to my stash. Instead, went local availability and went Growler. Glad I did. Enjoying the experience.

Thanks to the hosts and congratulations to all those who finished and have a post in the gallery. Some wonderful work on display. For those, like me, hopefully we'll still see some posts and look forward to an RFI.

Ray 

• Like 6

Thanks all for this GB!

Was fun joining, unfortunately not one for me to end in time :(

spent the Easter week in the land of my Spanish C.15 on holiday, but did not get graced by one flying by accidentally ;)

hope to finish her soon, most bugs ( but the too high HUD) ironed out I guess ;)

Stay tuned!

Cheers, Werner

PS:

CONGRATS to all finishers, some GREAT  Hornets around here!!

:partytime:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...