1/72nd Arma Model Hurricane Mk.IIc, Sqn. Ldr. Rook, 43 Sqn, Tunisia 1942-43

Hiya Folks,

The Tunisian campaign has always interested me as it was not as well documented as the battles in the Western Desert, and among the British and American units which took part in Operation Torch and the campaign in North Western Africa was 43 Sqn, a famous RAF unit which deployed from Gibraltar to Maison Blanc airfield in Tunisia and for this they were equipped with long range tanks,...... the unit took off on 8th November 1942 not knowing whether the airfield had been taken by the Allies or not. Luckily for them, the airfield was in friendly hands a they was not enough fuel for a return flight!

7705970-orig.jpg

The CO was Sqn Ldr Rook who was said to be the tallest fighter pilot in the RAF and he is seen here alongside his aircraft at Maison Blanc, note his white bird marking on the rudder and the letter E on the fin,...... I have no idea what these signify!!;

DSCF6608.jpg

And here is the model of Rook`s aircraft. The Arma Model Mk.IIc  is a beautiful kit and even better than their Mk.I if that is possible! I added a set of long range tanks from the spares box, the decals are from the kit and the model was brush painted;

a-NEW.jpg

a1-NEW.jpg

a2-NEW.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5-NEW.jpg

a6.jpg

a7.jpg

And with another Arma Hurricane built alongside!

a22.jpg

Cheers

Tony

• Like 55

Tony I promised myself that you are not going to get me into trouble with SWMBO again by making me buy more delicious kits, but I am struggling as they look flippin gorgeous, great work fella.  I was very impressed with the Mk.1 Hurricanes from Arma Hobby but if you're saying they are better, I might well be getting into trouble in the near future!!!

Great backround and great work as always fella.

All the best

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

How good do they look Tony! I really gotta get myself a bunch of these new Arma Hurricane kits, I'm quite ashamed to say I've not acquired even one as yet. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 2

A great looking Hurricane, Tony.  If it's even better than Arma's Mk I then it really must be a good kit.  A lovely paint job too.  Having fallen out with my airbrush I had come to a bit of a modelling impasse and it's no exaggeration to say that looking at your builds convinced me that great results could be achieved through brush painting. 

An intersting and unsusual scheme on these 43 Squadron Hurricanes with the green/brown scheme and type C1 roundels.  Having read abot 43's exploits I think most of the pilots were as anxious of actually arriving at Maison Blanc, let alone landing, such was th state of the aircraft they picked up at Gib.  I suspect they were pretty chuffed when they finally exchanged them for Spit Vs.  It is possible, I suppose, that the bird on the rudder is a rook, albeit in white, considering the pilot's name.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tonyot said:

note his white bird marking on the rudder

1 hour ago, Meatbox8 said:

It is possible, I suppose, that the bird on the rudder is a rook, albeit in white, considering the pilot's name.

I think that is likely.

pr_rooks_IMG_7082.jpg

The E maybe for a wife or girlfriend.  

An intersting and unsusual scheme on these 43 Squadron Hurricanes with the green/brown scheme and type C1 roundels. 

This may be of interest

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235049405-hurricane-footage-on-youtube-desert-scheme-repaints-in-colour/

Having fallen out with my airbrush I had come to a bit of a modelling impasse and it's no exaggeration to say that looking at your builds convinced me that great results could be achieved through brush painting. 

It is certainly possible.  using flat brushes helps, and if you have seen @tonyot  WIP threads, multiple thin coats. 

Lovely Hurricanes Tony

:goodjob:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oh that really is fantastic... Well done! I love the research and back story, it always makes a model much more fun. Looks like the Arma kit is a good one, maybe I could do with another Hurricane...

• Like 1

Exellent, as ever.

Like others, I'm reviewing my decision not to buy Arma's IIc because of the number of others I have waiting. It also hadn't occurred to me that I could do a IIc outside of the Far East in Dark Earth/Dark Green as by 1942/3 I'd assumed they'd be in Mid Stone and Dark Earth.

John.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Very nice indeed. Good to see a later Hurricane type.

Thanks Greg,..... hopefully if this kit sells well Arma may be persuaded to do more late Hurricanes, especially the Mk.IIb,....we can only hope eh?

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Tony I promised myself that you are not going to get me into trouble with SWMBO again by making me buy more delicious kits, but I am struggling as they look flippin gorgeous, great work fella.  I was very impressed with the Mk.1 Hurricanes from Arma Hobby but if you're saying they are better, I might well be getting into trouble in the near future!!!

Great backround and great work as always fella.

All the best

Chris

Oh dear Chris,...... I`m not going to be popular with the boss am I eh? Thanks pal,... glad you like them, I found it much easier to build than the Mk.I,.... or maybe that is because I`ve had some practice,.....who knows,...... but the `metal wing' Mk.I & IIc are still lovely kits and the best available of these particular variants. 

11 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

How good do they look Tony! I really gotta get myself a bunch of these new Arma Hurricane kits, I'm quite ashamed to say I've not acquired even one as yet. 

Cheers and well modelled.. Dave 

Thanks Dave,...... so glad that you like them. You really do have to get a few of these kits mate,..... they are devine!

11 hours ago, Graeme H said:

That is just superb

Cheers Graeme.

11 hours ago, Bangor Lad said:

Seeing a lot of these Arma Hurricanes. Your build is one of the best.

Wow that is praise indeed,..... thanks very much and glad you like it.

10 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

A great looking Hurricane, Tony.  If it's even better than Arma's Mk I then it really must be a good kit.  A lovely paint job too.  Having fallen out with my airbrush I had come to a bit of a modelling impasse and it's no exaggeration to say that looking at your builds convinced me that great results could be achieved through brush painting. 

An intersting and unsusual scheme on these 43 Squadron Hurricanes with the green/brown scheme and type C1 roundels.  Having read abot 43's exploits I think most of the pilots were as anxious of actually arriving at Maison Blanc, let alone landing, such was th state of the aircraft they picked up at Gib.  I suspect they were pretty chuffed when they finally exchanged them for Spit Vs.  It is possible, I suppose, that the bird on the rudder is a rook, albeit in white, considering the pilot's name.

Thanks a lot and glad you like it,.... flattered that I`ve made you consider resorting to the brush too! 

Yeah the 43 Sqn pilots were not best pleased with the Hurricane`s which awaited them at Gib,... and the well known pic of Rook stood next to his brand new Spitfire Mk.V in Tunisia probably summed up the feelings of the entire squadron pretty well!  I did think that the bird looked like an Albino Rook myself! 

10 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Really like the look of those Hurricanes!

Thanks a lot,....... this series of Arma Hurricane kits are very good indeed and are the best available in this scale. I`m looking forward to their FM-2 Wildcat.

9 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

I think that is likely.

pr_rooks_IMG_7082.jpg

The E maybe for a wife or girlfriend.  

This may be of interest

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235049405-hurricane-footage-on-youtube-desert-scheme-repaints-in-colour/

It is certainly possible.  using flat brushes helps, and if you have seen @tonyot  WIP threads, multiple thin coats. 

Lovely Hurricanes Tony

:goodjob:

Thanks Troy and a very comprehensive post as usual,..... you are a mine of info mate! 

3 hours ago, Aces High said:

Oh that really is fantastic... Well done! I love the research and back story, it always makes a model much more fun. Looks like the Arma kit is a good one, maybe I could do with another Hurricane...

Glad you like it and also the research,...... personally I love researching my subjects and it is all part of the fun,..... bringing alive the exploits of the men and their aircraft and then replicating them in miniature! You really must try an Arma Hurricane,.... they are superb! 

3 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Very nice indeed, Tony. Like the others, I'm tempted.

Cheers Vinnie,..... you have to buy one mate,..... they are lovely kits.

55 minutes ago, johnd said:

Exellent, as ever.

Like others, I'm reviewing my decision not to buy Arma's IIc because of the number of others I have waiting. It also hadn't occurred to me that I could do a IIc outside of the Far East in Dark Earth/Dark Green as by 1942/3 I'd assumed they'd be in Mid Stone and Dark Earth.

John.

Thanks John,..... you really have to try an Arma Hurricane, you will be seriously impressed. I had long suspected that Hurri`s used over Tunisia wore Dark Earth and Dark Green camo and then I bought a DVD from Canada with colour wartime footage which included Hurri`s in North West Africa,..... some of which Troy has included above,.... and it confirmed my suspicions. 

Thanks for your very kind comments everybody,

All the best

Tony 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Aces High said:

Tony, do you have shares in Arma? I just ordered one... ;)

LOL,.... no mate,..... although I have helped them with some decal option research! You will love it,..... I assure you! 

25 minutes ago, F-32 said:

Love it, what a great pair

Thanks very much.

Very nice Hurricanes. I can't barely believe there are brush painted, the surfaces looks perfect.

Just strted zhe same kit a few houres ago, hipe it will turn out as good as yours.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, _alfisti_ said:

Very nice Hurricanes. I can't barely believe there are brush painted, the surfaces looks perfect.

Just strted zhe same kit a few houres ago, hipe it will turn out as good as yours.

Thanks,..... I`m sure you`ll enjoy yours,.... it is a dream of a kit. 

8 minutes ago, Troffa said:

Superb modelling on display, and always nice to see a 43 Sqn cab.  Great job!

Cheers Troffa,..... I`ve dome quite a few 43 Sqn cabs,..... especially Hurricane`s,..... glad you like it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wulfman said:

Beautiful build on the Hurricanes,  I’m looking forward to my Arma Hurricanes, ( two mk.1s, two mk.2Cs)

Wulfman

Cheers Wulfman,.... you will enjoy them I`m sure.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Late to the party as usual, but can I just add that that is a beautiful build!

Can also ask a question?

I'm planning on "doing" a Hurricane or two, including one of 6 Squadron's Mk.IId Tank Busters. Arma do a Mk.IIc Tropical version which I had planned to buy and then get some extras for. Now that I know that the Expert kit has the Vokes air filter, with it's extras included is it better value than the non-Expert kit without the etch etc?

Many thanks for any thoughts!

Kind regards,

Mark

5 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

including one of 6 Squadron's Mk.IId Tank Busters.

You may find this of interest/use

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235071194-hurricane-iid-6-squadron-leading-edge-wing-stripe-and-some-marking-observations/

If starting from a IIC kit, you need to modify some upper wing panels.   The last post in the linked thread links to other posts on the IV and IId

HTH

4 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

You may find this of interest/use

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235071194-hurricane-iid-6-squadron-leading-edge-wing-stripe-and-some-marking-observations/

If starting from a IIC kit, you need to modify some upper wing panels.   The last post in the linked thread links to other posts on the IV and IId

HTH

Hi,

Many thanks for your post and for the link - the video clip is amazing, although presumably of a training flight. Nevertheless, the muzzle flashes as the 40s fire are quite startling!

The issue of the leading edge is a bit of a conundrum, too - it would be interesting to see it resolved, as also with the variation in the colours of the squadron codes. And indeed whether the aircraft only carried individual letters for a time.

I've got a 3D Models Mk.IId conversion set on order, which details the variation in the wing panels, the only internal wing armament being the single 0.303" Browning each side, of course.

Many thanks once again!

Kind regards,

Mark