Magic Mustang

Cookenbacher

On 12/22/2019 at 3:29 PM, Andwil said:

Watching closely as aI plan to use Vallejo metal colours on my pair of Mustangs

I've been really impressed with them so far, especially considering that they're water based.

On 12/22/2019 at 3:40 PM, CedB said:

Wow back at you Cookie 

Thanks Ced!

On 12/22/2019 at 11:53 PM, giemme said:

I'll second that, and the markings came out perfect! :worthy: 

The only way I know to have an effective shine (doesn't mean there's no other way, it's own to my limited experience) is using Model Master Metallizers and the brush technique, Cookie - you should remember that, right? :winkgrin: :D 

Thanks Giorgio! I did use MM metalizer on those parts and to its great credit, the Vallejo Metal Color matched it so closely that there's hardly any contrast.

On 12/23/2019 at 12:44 AM, Valkyrie said:

Man, this looks perfect 

On 12/23/2019 at 1:06 AM, Bedders said:

Great stuff! Those stars & bars are a revelation. Itt's coming along really nicely.

Thanks Valkyrie and Bedders!

On 12/23/2019 at 3:29 AM, Procopius said:

JD, I admit in my heart of hearts I was a little skeptical of how this would turn out, but it looks good. Really good!

Ha! I might have been a tad skeptical myself, but it's not an experiment otherwise.

21 hours ago, Ratch said:

Did you make your own masks for the stars'n'bars?

No, my Silhouette cutter is 800 miles away still. I used Pmask masks for this. They're very reasonably priced and have enough masks to do two P-51's if you're careful, but just one if you're Cookie - I managed to wreck a couple trying to get them placed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 12/24/2019 at 8:47 AM, John Laidlaw said:

Crikey, Cookie - how did I miss this one? Beautiful work, sir!

Thank you John!

Hope everyone has had a wonderful Christmas, mine was certainly a treat, and even had a little time to work on the Mustang.

Brushed/dry brushed a little more variation to the metal finish, including the panels around the exhaust, and also did a coat of Future.

UNSLmTym_o.jpg

I didn't do a great job attaching the canopy and got some fogging. I've done my best to clean it up, but it's still there.

bOXI32EL_o.jpg

All masked up for the green nose, red stencil on the flap, and I resprayed a mix of Aluminum and Dull Aluminum on the right wing where my variation efforts went awry.

VXm3suoG_o.jpg

Unmasked.

c8FXp5XA_o.jpg

And repainted the spar in YZC, and went ahead and painted the ribs as well.

LGI4IvHU_o.jpg

Made a start on adding the raised seam on the drop tanks with some thin plastic rod.

jnmM3GGb_o.jpg

• Like 20

She is certainly looking the part, mate. I'm looking forward to seeing her done. I'm on a Christmas sabbatical so its slow on the modelling front in the RR household :(.  It seems that he have a lot of other things to be doing! :(

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the kind comments everyone!

It's coming along now - tanks painted, and I painted the black stripes on the horizontal stabilizers, because I forgot to earlier.

wMLAazxK_o.jpg

Transfer time!

HsKJUAxC_o.jpg

The landing gear and flaps are attached.

aXNp9g0Q_o.jpg

I've heard that the Airfix P-51 landing gear is spindly, and I can confirm it!

Just a few more tasks left: exhausts, paint the antenna and a little more light weathering.

• Like 14

Very, very nice Cookie :) 

I gazed at that last photo for some time, soaking up the variation in the finish, the little details like the shiny bits on the flaps and the worn stripe just behind…

Good job matey!

• Thanks 1

Well jeez cookie that’s gone together very quickly! She looks beautiful! Fine work with the spraying and masking, you make it look so easy... like when the TV chef is doing all the mixing then pulls a finished one out the oven as if by magic.... you are that TV chef...

looking forward to your finishing touches! Probably have it finished before I’ve drank my ‘kings ginger’ (sounds rude but it’s not). I’ll read a couple of pages of my book on Korea and check back

Rob

Edited by rob85
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, John Laidlaw said:

That is splendid, Cookie!

Thanks John!

16 hours ago, Procopius said:

This is really coming together well, bud.

Thanks PC, this is a great kit except for the landing gear which really lets it down, and mine was short shot to boot.

13 hours ago, CedB said:

Very, very nice Cookie :) 

I gazed at that last photo for some time, soaking up the variation in the finish, the little details like the shiny bits on the flaps and the worn stripe just behind…

Thanks for noticing Ced!

8 hours ago, giemme said:

Looking so good, Cookie! :clap: :clap:

I want to see this in flesh.... :winkgrin:

I'll try and keep it in one piece until you visit LA next summer.

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

Looks great, Cookie by a Cookie :yes:.

😁

23 minutes ago, rob85 said:

I’ll read a couple of pages of my book on Korea and check back

Either way, you are the founder of the feast, having given me the Magic Mustang at Telford in the first place. You finished your pages yet Rob? 'Cause here it is.

yCWEasvM_o.jpg

I'll try and get some pics in the Gallery in a minute.

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

this is a great kit except for the landing gear which really lets it down...

I had another look at my copy recently, and noticed that the gear (the "J" shape where the wheel sits) seemed a bit "flared".  Not impressed.  Perhaps they can be bent to vertical, so the wheels look right.  At the very least I'm tempted to cut the control stick free, just to see if it can be done! 

• Like 1