Magic Mustang

Cookenbacher

I did finish a few pages and then watched die hard.

shes turned out beautifully, I made the right choice giving you the kit! Mind you the least I could do for the amount of times you have helped me out.

whats next cookie 😃

Rob

• Haha 1

I had an idea of using the landinggear from Airfix older P-51D and/or B/C kits. There är also the available white metall landinggears for the Airfix kit. But so far I havn't seen anyone using them. One wonder if Airfix ever will fix the landinggears, the antenna and the stick for this kit.

Beautiful greennosed Mustang  Cookie! :)

Wonder how good Airfix decals are for their own greennosed Mustang?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-a50095-north-american-p-51d-mustang--143136

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/29/2019 at 12:58 PM, giemme said:

Gorgeous! :worthy:  :clap: And suitably weathered too! :thumbsup:

Thanks Giorgio you know I can't make a clean build either!

23 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Cracking build Cookie, that looks amazbobs. :worthy:

Thanks H, although it took me considerably longer than your blue nosed beauty in the Blitzbuild.

22 hours ago, gingerbob said:

I had another look at my copy recently, and noticed that the gear (the "J" shape where the wheel sits) seemed a bit "flared".  Not impressed.  Perhaps they can be bent to vertical, so the wheels look right.  At the very least I'm tempted to cut the control stick free, just to see if it can be done! 

Cutting the control stick free and intact is not a challenge for rhw faint of heart! I had to fashion a new one, along with the antenna.

21 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice work, Cookie. You are right about those stork-like legs! Even do you've made a great job of her.

Thank you Martin, I'll have to come up with a plan before attempting the other five Airfix Mustangs in the stash!

21 hours ago, Andre B said:

I had an idea of using the landinggear from Airfix older P-51D and/or B/C kits. There är also the available white metall landinggears for the Airfix kit. But so far I havn't seen anyone using them. One wonder if Airfix ever will fix the landinggears, the antenna and the stick for this kit.

Beautiful greennosed Mustang  Cookie! :)

I looked at the metal landing gears, but they cost twice as much as the kit. Wait, I guess there are two sets per pack, so they cost as much as the rest of the kit. May be worth it though! I've got some Hasegawa and Academy P-51B/C gear legs, maybe they'll fit?

21 hours ago, rob85 said:

I did finish a few pages and then watched die hard.

whats next cookie 😃

Die Hard is a great Christmas movie!

I'm debating between the SH Viggen or Arma Yak-1 next, hmmmm.

21 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well done Cookie :worthy:... Your namesake is looking quite good. 

Thanks Dennis!

17 hours ago, CedB said:

Marvellous work Cookie, she looks amazing :) 

Cheers Ced!

9 hours ago, Ratch said:

Well done :goodjob:

Many thanks!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Cookenbacher said:

Thank you Martin, I'll have to come up with a plan before attempting the other five Airfix Mustangs in the stash!

In the end they all have pros and cons. I like the Tamiya F-51D but it doesnt have drooped flaps and the wing spar issue is there?  the Airfix has the correct wing spar but suffers in the legs area as well as having an ill-fitted forward canopy..... There's no perfect solution, as far as I know. Good luck. 

Martin

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

During this entire thread, I've been intending to post links to some other notable "Cookies" and here they are:

Thanks for the inspiration gentlemen.

On 12/31/2019 at 1:39 AM, giemme said:

Viggen....

Viggen....

Viggen....

:winkgrin:

I think I will attempt a Viggen in the upcoming Nordic Group Build that starts next week, but until then I've begun another Mustang.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fantastic result Cookie! The patina with the NMF fuselage really paid off, I think this is the way to go for a worn NMF using paint, the combo of various metallics blended but also some subtle dry brushing here and there, really top work! I'm going to go with this method too. How much did the clear layer knock off from the variation? From the pictures it doesn't look like anything at all but I know pics can be deceptive in portraying what we see in reality on our bench. 

David 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mirageiv said:

How much did the clear layer knock off from the variation? From the pictures it doesn't look like anything at all but I know pics can be deceptive in portraying what we see in reality on our bench.

Thanks David! It seems that a clear varnish either increases or obscures the contrast between shades and one never knows how it's going to go. In this case I brushed on Future thinned with distilled water, and it enhanced the contrast between the various Vallejo Metal Color aluminum shades. If the opposite had occurred, I believe it would have been safe to add new layers metal paint over the Future, either by airbrush or dry brushed.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Nice build. I too like the effect you have achieved with the NMF. Quite effective for a worn machine, and different to the finish achieved by simply masking off various panels. I shall try and remember it and give it a go.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...