Hawker Siddeley Nimrod MR1 - 1/72 Airfix

CedB

On ‎22‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 14:07, limeypilot said:

Good grief, whatever next? Hendie building a tank?

Ian

I think we are wandering into the realms of fantasy here Ian.

Martian 👽

• Haha 3

Er, Split flaps? 

nimrod_mr2_fairford_17_of_65.jpg

From Prime Portal - the split flaps are located under the jet pipes just aft of the thrust reversers - with the two patch repairs. The Airfix kit has these flaps moulded as part of the wing so not positionable like the plain flaps. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 25/02/2019 at 14:48, Biggles87 said:

We watched the Antiques Roadshow from the Bristol  Aerospace museum last night but didn't see you there. Were you playing truant you naughty boy?

Finally shaken off the 1/2 flu and eager to continue Spitfireing.

John

Thanks John - pleased to hear you're feeling better :) I'm not volunteering at Aerospace anymore - I got a bit fed up looking out for naughty kids!

On 25/02/2019 at 16:57, Tomoshenko said:

Splendid stuff Ced, she looks a treat.

Simple solution to this problem Ced, how to have the best of both world: Hang the plane level, and simply tilt your ceiling. There fixed it for you!

Thanks Tomo :) Tilt the ceiling? Now there's an idea :mental:

On 25/02/2019 at 18:24, TheBaron said:

Pity. His expert valuation would have been fascinating.

Dear God Ced. A Furry? Say it's not so....

Thanks Tony :D Not that sort of Furry!

On 25/02/2019 at 21:07, keefr22 said:

If he keeps hanging monsters like B-36's and Nimblobs up there it'll tilt of its own accord soon...!!

K

Thanks Keith - hopefully not! :D 

On 25/02/2019 at 21:12, Martian Hale said:

I think we are wandering into the realms of fantasy here Ian.

Martian 👽

Hendie and a tank? Who knows… :) 

On 25/02/2019 at 23:30, Rickoshea52 said:

Er, Split flaps? 

[snip pic]

From Prime Portal - the split flaps are located under the jet pipes just aft of the thrust reversers - with the two patch repairs. The Airfix kit has these flaps moulded as part of the wing so not positionable like the plain flaps. 

Thanks Rick - I wonder if the split flaps were deployed with the main ones (looks like it from some pictures) or only deployed at 'max flap'? If I'd researched properly I could have had a go at chopping them out but it's too late now I think; I don't want to spoil the work so far.

Flaps up then is it?

In other news, Puppy sitting has stopped progress this week. I thought I'd get some time in yesterday but our 90 minute morning appointment to have smart meters fitted turned into a saga. The engineer had problems with his first appointment and didn't turn up until late morning. Power off. Meter fitted. Then he couldn't get 'the system' to connect to the meter. Apparently they use their own radio network and will piggy back on other local meters to get a signal. Clever. Sadly the system they connect to seems to be, er, not so smart and it refused to register our meter - for three hours! The gas meter uses the electric meter as a hub (also clever) but the fact that it failed to connect meant the old meter had to go back in! Nightmare. We now have to wait for another 'commissioning appointment' to get it all working. Whole day gone. Rats.

I'm determines to get some stickers on later. Watch this space.

• Like 3
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 3

Finally at the 'transfer station' :) 

White background to the serial? I'd thought of masking and painting this, but I forgot; doh!

33379720448_954ae22993_z.jpg

Out with the white decal sheet, but the Inkjet stuff just wrinkled up:

47255515021_e0b923e87d_z.jpg

The laser stuff was better. That applied and the two part (why, WHY!) roundel applied:

33379882168_0f63cc4b13_z.jpg

Of course the sharp eyed amongst you will have noticed the '49 + 28' on the instruction sheet and realised that Xtradecal provide the white backing. :headbang:

Not my fault though is this:

32313645347_656a4565d7_z.jpg

'62' looks a bit big doesn't it? It was only when I was typing that that I realised:

33380027158_e5090de266_z.jpg

Xtradecal have got it wrong and the tail should have 27 not 29, like this:

33380059368_20fcdbf38b_z.jpg

Better. Of course I'm now short of a large '62' having pulled off that one with Sellotape. Rats. I'll have to get the decal sheet out again...

Better news, the lower aerial has been replaced, before and after:

47255651681_0612f9e863_n.jpg 33379932578_b2e0c46f2d_n.jpg

I need a lie down now…

• Like 25

3 hours ago, CedB said:

I got a bit fed up looking out for naughty kids!

...but you came back here.  

Nice stickers!  She really does look stunning.

Edited by Ex-FAAWAFU
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Exactly, there approximately 21,000 naughty kids here!

Looking forward to seeing more transfers going on.

Martian 👽

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, Ex-FAAWAFU said:

Nice stickers!  She really does look stunning.

:rofl2: Thanks Crisp!

3 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Exactly, there approximately 21,000 naughty kids here!

Looking forward to seeing more transfers going on.

Martian 👽

Wait no more, oh tentacled one :) 

2 hours ago, Beard said:

Roundels are in two parts so that the modeller is to blame for them being off-centre.

PS. On the home straight now.

Aha, that's it! I do find though that one's eyes tell you when the red bit's in the middle, then you can knock it off centre while pressing down :) 

Serials have been 'designed' in Inkscape and printed on laser decal paper (no need for varnish):

33382128538_d23d3c6b33_z.jpg

… and stuck on the bottom:

33382230828_db60f77a86_z.jpg

That's it done with the Xtradecals - phew!

What's that you say? Stencils from the kit? What these?

47257948361_379ae89619_z.jpg

Ah, right, I'll need my fresh eyes for those.

Manana…

Sorry, not very p.c.

Personana :) 

• Like 26
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, CedB said:

Manana

Sorry, not very p.c.

Personana :) 

:rofl: :rofl:

Great job with the stickers, despite of a few ... how shall I call them ... moments? (pick up proper adjective according to personal taste) 😉

She's going to look great with all the stencils on :thumbsup:

Ciao

• Thanks 1

Gotta do the stencils. Stencils make the man, somebody told me. Probably @Procopius.

I noticed in your fuselage roundel photo, that the white portion of the roundel is slightly translucent. I've not really seen that with Xtradecals before, but admittedly the two fuselage colours have a pretty high contrast between them. The only thing worse would be EDSG and White (ask me how I know that - hint: Scimitar). Does Microscale still print Xtradecals?

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Looking very fine to me so far Ced. Yes and stencils are always the icing on the cake, aren't they?. What would a Phantom look like without them. Ok, a pain to to put them on, but who cares in the end, when you can look at the finished thing. My opinion.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Gotta do the stencils. Stencils make the man, somebody told me. Probably @Procopius.

More sad proof that those who proselytize don't themselves, in that case! (Alternately, this was said in a moment of sober acceptance of my actual level of manliness.)

Looking great, Buffers. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

All the flaps operate together Ced, it was because the split flaps couldn’t be modelled lowered that I built mine flaps up. 

I almost got got caught out with the roundel thing on my ETPS Hawk, the decal overlapped red and white with colour bleed through - I read the instructions a second time and spotted the white backing disc for the roundel. 

Edited by Rickoshea52
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, perdu said:

Stencils?

Yeah right...

Looking goodly Ced, a veritable delight

( we could have done the split flaps, eventually, but this way's better)

Thanks Bill :) I'm still pondering whether to have flaps up or go for the 'common for Airfix' flaps down which will be more interesting, if inaccurate!

23 hours ago, giemme said:

:rofl: :rofl:

Great job with the stickers, despite of a few ... how shall I call them ... moments? (pick up proper adjective according to personal taste) 😉

She's going to look great with all the stencils on :thumbsup:

Ciao

23 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I noticed in your fuselage roundel photo, that the white portion of the roundel is slightly translucent. I've not really seen that with Xtradecals before, but admittedly the two fuselage colours have a pretty high contrast between them. The only thing worse would be EDSG and White (ask me how I know that - hint: Scimitar). Does Microscale still print Xtradecals?

Cheers,

Bill

23 hours ago, bbudde said:

Looking very fine to me so far Ced. Yes and stencils are always the icing on the cake, aren't they?. What would a Phantom look like without them. Ok, a pain to to put them on, but who cares in the end, when you can look at the finished thing. My opinion.

10 hours ago, Procopius said:

More sad proof that those who proselytize don't themselves, in that case! (Alternately, this was said in a moment of sober acceptance of my actual level of manliness.)

Looking great, Buffers. 

Thanks Giorgio, Bill, Ben and PC - stencils are a pain (see below) :) 

22 hours ago, TheBaron said:

Beautifully badged Mr.B: you've made me very fond of this aircraft over the last few weeks. :clap:

Thanks Tony :) A nice subject and a nice kit IF you ignore the issues :) 

17 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Looking nice with her stickers in place. It’s always a pain when the line shows through but I won’t say anything if you won’t . :clap2:

Johnny

Thanks Johnny :) 

8 hours ago, Rickoshea52 said:

All the flaps operate together Ced, it was because the split flaps couldn’t be modelled lowered that I built mine flaps up. 

I almost got got caught out with the roundel thing on my ETPS Hawk, the decal overlapped red and white with colour bleed through - I read the instructions a second time and spotted the white backing disc for the roundel. 

Thanks Rick :) As mentioned above I'll ponder the options…

Pity there's no white backing on this kit, I checked! Should have thought of that and cut some decal paper.

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey Ced she's looking marvellous and is going to look very impressive on the ceiling. Great work.  

All the best

Chris

Thanks Chris :)

7 hours ago, 06/24 said:

Smart meters, stencils, who is this masked man? Stencils underneath only, if it’s a ceiling dweller?

Thanks Jon - Ooh, that's wicked :wicked:

6 hours ago, andyf117 said:

Nicely done, but just wondering why....

....when there are additional 2's and 6's on the Xtradecal sheet?

Lazy Andy - and easier to line up when the numbers are all on one decal :) 

5 hours ago, rob85 said:

She is looking lovely! Well done on sorting your transfer issues

Rob

Thanks Rob :) 

Stencils? Hate 'em. Especially when there are problems like:

47217561602_dda067b095_z.jpg

AND you find that the tiny ones aren't cut from the film - gaaaaagggghhhh! Weird though, I only did three before my mojo vanished and the others look OK?

46355155105_ce82e8645e_z.jpg

We shall see.

Flory dirt on the tail worked though, of course:

47217564152_5ee23e633f_z.jpg

More puppy sitting this week, not back until Thursday.

• Like 13

9 minutes ago, andyf117 said:

👍 I've done that myself, for the four-inch serials on a couple of my RN Sea Kings! 😀

Ditto, the Sea Vixen got that treatment on the underwing stickers too

Far superior to trying to attach everything in a perfect line

Go Ced, go

• Thanks 1

I just bought five sheets of clear 'ink jet' paper from the 'bay cost me five and a half quid's with free posting

Beats hoping you can get a close match with various printers output

• Like 1