1:72 AZ Model Supermarine Attacker

I`ve just stumbled across this Bill and it looks like you have another little stunner in the making,.... keep up the good work,

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

I think I'll leave it like this. It will tell an interesting story sitting in my display case.

IMG_2723

Cheers,

Bill

PS. Just in case I do decide to continue, what colour do you suppose the internal areas of the wing fold were painted (or not)? The Airwaves PE instructions say Chromate Yellow (which seems to be the case with WA473 in some photos). Other photos seem to show aluminum in this area. Any thoughts? She got re-painted somewhere along the way?

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

PS. Just in case I do decide to continue, what colour do you suppose the internal areas of the wing fold were painted (or not)? The Airwaves PE instructions say Chromate Yellow (which seems to be the case with WA473 in some photos). Other photos seem to show aluminum in this area. Any thoughts? She got re-painted somewhere along the way?

I think you would be safe with either zinc chromate or painted silver; not natural metal though as this was a naval aircraft.

Martian 👽

• Like 2

I love taking the tape off - it's like a grand reveal. Well, unless you pull up a bunch of paint or something like that, then it becomes the grand cock-uppage. Thankfully, that didn't happen so I guess my prayers and sacrifices to @Procopius were duly answered. He's such a swell god.

So here she is, I don't think I have to touch up anything.

IMG_2726

IMG_2728

You might be able to make out some modulation in the EDSG. This is just my usual attempt at making the top sides look like they've been sitting out in the sun somewhere in the Mediterranean. Or, in this case, RNAS Stretton in beautiful downtown Appleton Thorn.

I'll be painting the wing fold, gear struts and wheels aluminum, but I suspect the gear wells are Sky. Unless one of you knows better and can talk me out of it.

Whilst I was masking around the tail fin, I noticed that AZ have the elevator trim tab actuator on top of the tail plane for the port side, but underneath on the starboard side. I don't think I noticed this when I was gluing on the tail planes, and I thought it was odd. So I studied all the photos I could find, and I do believe that AZ is correct.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 17
  • Haha 1

Sneaking in at the back, head held low… don't know how I missed this.

Great work as usual Bill and a good read.

You've made me extend my theme now to 'early jets' as I have lusted after this mark.

While we're talking lust (who started that?) I share your 'Ooo, I shouldn't be feeling that' over 'characters' at Disney, in my case I think it was Barbie and her Sister.

Some things can still make an old man very happy…

Nice Attacker by the way, although that's an obvious comment on a Navy Bird thread :) 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, CedB said:

You've made me extend my theme now to 'early jets' as I have lusted after this mark.

Early jets are mega. Did I say that right? I'm always at a loss about the lingo these kids speak nowadays.

5 hours ago, CJP said:

Great job on the masking - looking very neat

Thanks - although it didn't look so neat with all the tape on!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

The masking tape certainly did a dapper job of creating beautiful demarcation lines between the Sky and EDSG. However, it was apparently sticky enough to have made off with one of the tail wheels. Of course, immediately upon removal of the tape, it was bunched up into a ball and tossed in the bin. Which immediately went out to the kerb because it was trash collection night.  :(

So now, I'm working my way through my stash and the numerous boxes of leftover fiddly bits, frantically looking for runaway fleas, er, spare tail wheels that are approximately the right size. All I've come up with so far are Harrier outrigger wheels, which are a wee bit too large, but will work in a pinch. And I guess that's what you could call this - a pinch. Spitfire tail wheels seem to be the right size (I wouldn't be surprised if that's what Supermarine actually used on the Attacker), but I don't really have any extras and I'd hate to raid two kits. But I could, and then replace them by acquiring two new kits. That could be a plan...   :hmmm:

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

On 11/22/2018 at 12:42 PM, perdu said:

I do likes the pointy front of the white bits

I might have been tempted, anyone know why the attachment on the starb'd roundel?

Likely a camera huh?

XN684 was the FAW2 prototype, so yes, it’ll be some kind of trials camera taking pics of Red Tops detaching from pylons, or similar.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Procopius said:

Bill, I have a load of leftover Eduard Spitfire sprues, some with VIII-type retractable tailwheels, would one of those answer?

I was about to make a similar offer Bill, but sounds like you may have the solution. If not let me know.

Terry

8 hours ago, Procopius said:

Bill, I have a load of leftover Eduard Spitfire sprues, some with VIII-type retractable tailwheels, would one of those answer?

6 hours ago, Terry1954 said:

I was about to make a similar offer Bill, but sounds like you may have the solution. If not let me know.

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate the offers. I think I have a solution from my spares box, but if I'm not able to make it work I'll be back.

It's times like this that make me rejoice in the inherent kindness and generosity of humanity - or, that others are afflicted with the same madness in collecting bits of polystyrene. If I walked up to some bloke on the street, what are the chances he would have surplus Eduard Spitfire sprues in his overcoat pocket? Zilch! Yet here on BM two gentlemen step forward, volunteering to remove critical insulation from the loft. There may yet be hope for our species.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

Now for the bendy up at the tips bits.

Guess you know she looks fabbulus with some stickers on huh?

Its the tiny detail bits that blow me away Bill, the intake splitters are delightful

20/10 OK?

• Like 3