Airfix 2017

Denford

.... but surely no-one pays the RRP that Airfix publishes on their website?

I've just pre-ordered two Airfix Jet Provosts from Hattons at GBP 4.00 each.

That's even cheap when one converts it over to a not so great AUD conversion rate.

Knock off the VAT, pay a smidgen of postage and these kits end up being excellent value for money.

Cheers .. Dave

Agree 100% with Hattons being the place to buy from when in Aus/NZ, very competitive postage rates. Their pre-owned kits are tremendous value too, and are often still in factory sealed bags. Worth taking a punt on.

• Like 1

Agree 100% with Hattons being the place to buy from when in Aus/NZ, very competitive postage rates. Their pre-owned kits are tremendous value too, and are often still in factory sealed bags. Worth taking a punt on.

100% agree, however taking a 'punt' would imply that there's the possibility that one could lose - we all now that you can only win shopping at Hattons !!

Cheers .. Dave

• Like 1

100% agree, however taking a 'punt' would imply that there's the possibility that one could lose - we all now that you can only win shopping at Hattons !!

Cheers .. Dave

unfortunately I have seen evidence of a 'loss' on a pre-owned Porsche kit that was rather lacking despite being described as complete. But all my purchases have been superb including all recent Airfix new release purchases which have been very well priced.

Edited by azzaob

I know it will screw alleycast over, but I'm really hoping there is a tin wing hurricane next year

Not really.

The real devotees will have already bought the conversion: those who buy Airfix 'tin wing' (if it actually materialises) probably wouldn't really appreciate the differences.

Not really.

The real devotees will have already bought the conversion: those who buy Airfix 'tin wing' (if it actually materialises) probably wouldn't really appreciate the differences.

My understanding was that Alleycat produced the resin wing once they were assured of a good long time before an injection wing in 1/72.

• Like 1

Not really.

My understanding was that Alleycat produced the resin wing once they were assured of a good long time before an injection wing in 1/72.

This raises an interesting point (to me anyway).

It's often said that one company's kit doesn't make money for another company but conversion parts surely do. Alleycat's Hurricane wing surely means that more Airfix Hurricanes have been sold; without Airfix having to spend money on doing the tooling.

• Like 2

Fair point Beard... however am I the only one that thinks that in 2016 a conversion to produce a fairly accurate 'Tin Wing' Hurricane is a little over the top?

I honestly wish Airfix and Alleycat all the best, however my personal view would be that an Airfix late Mk.1 Hurricane would probably be an absolute cash-cow for Hornby (who it would appear, could do with a little more cash at the moment).

I'd rather see Allycat produce a NF.10 Vampire conversion to go with the T.11 kit, or something else not quite as commom as your typical BoB Hurricane.

Let's see what 2017 will bring - hopefully something will leak soon (today's Workbench perhaps?).

Cheers .. Dave

Edited - cause I can't spell Konversion! (Twice)

Edited by Rabbit Leader

I'd agree with that Dave, I did buy multiples of the Alley Cat conversion set and I was happy to have the opportunity to do so, but I do feel, given Airfix's variant kits for the Heinkel 111, the Ju87 and the Kate, that it is surprising that they didn't also produce a tin-wing Hurricane - I believe it would have sold shedsfull, but then I have a history of failing to distinguish between what I want to happen and what would be a good idea if it actually did happen :lol:

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 2

1/24 Sea Fury.......................... How awesome would that be? Hurricane, Typhoon and a Sea Fury side by side.

And a barn to display them in.

Two out of three here Hurricane built. Tiffy stared at started then stared at numerous times and fondled (wrong) and placed back in the current to do pile. I have etch and resin plans for it now.

Edited by chuckb1

I'll confidently predict that Airfix will release absolutely no 1/72 AFVs whatsoever (airfield trucks don't count).....But I'd love to be proved wrong. :pray:

I think I'll raise that to no new AFVs in any scale :weep:

And, absolutely no new ships in any scale, no railway rolling stock in any scale and still no 1/72 new Vulcan, VC-10 or Spey Phantom! :weep:

Allan

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'll answer the question I asked to start this thread nearly 2 months ago: when will Airfix start announcing their 2017 releases? Since then there have been 2 Workbenches (the most likely occasion) with no announcements and Telford now only some 10 weeks away.

So surely the next announcement will be at Telford: I stand corrected if there hasn't always been something announced then. But what?

The lack of recent announcement of subjects (most generally small) suggests something big: fewer small kits suggest resources are going to something big. The Typhoon did sufficiently well to justify releasing the Car-Door version. So what next? Variations on the Mosquito are always a possibility, though I think not.

For reasons I've already outlined in earlier posts, and even others in this thread, I'd say a 1/24 Sea Fury. This time the box-art can have machines with Maple Leaves, Kangaroos, and several other insignia! Lots of other good reasons too!

Oh yes, I've never been correct in my 'predictions'. Also, as I don't make 1/24, I can't be 'wish listing'!

1/24 is not my scale either - but for a Sea Fury I would maybe make an exception.

No idea when Airfix will anounce that we are all wrong and that they release a new tool Fockeschmitt in 1:64 boxscale :wicked:

No - tey will not. They are Airfix and will release something good: Sea Fury, Swift, Hampden,... all in 1:48 :pray: