Airfix Kate - a look in the box

John

Now this really looks scrumptious! I had all but forgotten this kit was to come out... Great wake up call.

When is it going to be available?

Thanks for the heads up!

JR

That does look very nice indeed; so does that Acknowledgment for Nick Millman mean he gets a free copy of the kit? If that's the case, if Airfix ever decide to do a new-mould Il-2 Shturmovik (their old one, to be kind, is a bit lacking), I would be more than happy to help them.

Regards,

Jason

Wow.. this looks awesome. I don't build Japanese aircraft but I'm willing to build this kit because it looks so good. Airfix keeps hitting them out of the park!! (I'm sure there must be a similar expression for those of you who are into cricket out there) :D

Cheers,

Dave

Do I count 5 sprues for a smallish 1:72 plane? Suddenly a pacific war subject appeals to me...

Airfix keeps hitting them out of the park!! (I'm sure there must be a similar expression for those of you who are into cricket out there)

Hitting them for six? Doesn't quite have the same meaning, but it'll serve.

• Like 1

Looks terrific overall but is the middle crew mans face badly moulded/'short shot' ?

Yeah and the rest look like they are Englishmen ...

Another must have kit for me.

I give a quick in-box review HERE (no pictures, though) in the release thread in the Rumourmonger part of the board and I can confirm that the middle crewman also has a damaged face on my example. Since it's happened twice, it could be there's some damage to the mold? As I wrote in my post, it's not a biggie for me as I don't use the figures.

John, how's the canopy on yours? Mine has scratches on F08 and some slight, but noticable, flow marks on parts F01 and F05.

Also, if anyone wants to get spares, Airfix don't have any for this kit as of yet!

Mike. :)

I haven't had time for much more than a quick look but to answer specific points :

Trailing edges - apart from a small area of the wing these are all separate parts and look OK to me on the sprue. Putting it together might give a different perspective though.

Transparencies - I can't see any flow marks but there does appear to be what looks like a fine crack in the section immediately above the pilot's head of part 08.

Middle crewman - definitely something unfortunate happened here! I'd be fabricating his oxygen mask if I was using him.

John

The interior looks a lot better than the Hasegawa kit, that's for sure! Looks like they've included the 800kg special AP bomb (ex 14 inch ap shell) that some of the Kate's carried at Pearl Harbour - it was one of these bombs that sank Arizona. Not sure Shokaku's Kate's carried that bomb but I'm sure someone could tell us. What I can say is that the 800Kg bomb is not appropriate for the 1944 marking option. It looks a great kit on the sprues but the proof with Airfix is in the building! I'm looking forward to getting the dogfight set with the wildcat.

thanks

Mike

Thanks for the Sprue pics.. I've been searching for these since the kit was released - looks very nice.

I'll be waiting for the Dogfight double set with the Wildcat, however my usual go to ordering place (Hattons) does not seem to have this one on their pre-order list?

Cheers .. Dave.

Edited by Rabbit Leader

Wow.. this looks awesome. I don't build Japanese aircraft but I'm willing to build this kit because it looks so good. Airfix keeps hitting them out of the park!! (I'm sure there must be a similar expression for those of you who are into cricket out there) :D

Cheers,

Dave

I don't know about a similar expression for cricket, but hitting a six is the same as a homer in baseball. Dodgers beat the Angels again tonight, still 8 1/2 up on the Giants, and the magic number is now down to 16! Go Dodger Blue!

Later,

Dave

P.S. Go Ipswich!

Not my cup of tea as subjects go, but those are some very nice mouldings.

I particulalry like the one piece nested canopy part on the clear sprue and the molded in wing spar on the inner surface of the upper wing. Both quite thoughtful touches.

That looks ruddy outstanding, excellent job on the choice of ordnance, but have to wait about 2 weeks to get my mittens on 2 of these winging my way from Hannants along with some Zvezda 1/72 Luftwaffe ground crew (Yes the Axis forces are advancing :hobbyhorse: )

Not sure Shokaku's Kate's carried that bomb but I'm sure someone could tell us.

thanks

Mike

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234984057-kate-artwork-up-on-airfixcom/page-2

Post # 30

Good to know that these things don't get read, learned and inwardly digested otherwise the roundabout might stop turning . . . :winkgrin:

Nick

• Like 1

Good to know that these things don't get read, learned and inwardly digested otherwise the roundabout might stop turning . . . :winkgrin:

Dear Nicholas,

Saved that your post back in July and even "liked it" :) Many thanks for sharing your knowledges with us :) Looking ahead to read your review of new Airfix B5N :)

Dmitry

Edited by Dimmy
  • Like 1