A pair of Airfix Hawks in 1/72. Finished.

Fritag,

No response from my contact on 'The Tatty Ton' as yet. Packing to go to sunny climes tomorrow so will be in touch on my return.

Tony

• Like 1

Well I'm back from Chamonix. The snow and the skiing there were excellent :)

Great pic! ( and I'm totally envious ... :winkgrin: )

The compressor face looks just great! :clap::worthy: Only to clear up one point: you didn't carve lines on the round base to accommodate the blades before gluing, did you?

TIA

Ciao

Great pic! ( and I'm totally envious ... :winkgrin: )

The compressor face looks just great! :clap::worthy: Only to clear up one point: you didn't carve lines on the round base to accommodate the blades before gluing, did you?

My wife (she doesn't ski) took the bus to Courmayeur for the day Giorgio (and had gelato despite the snow) - might think of skiing the Italian side of Mont Blanc next year :)

As to the compressor face - yes I did scribe the radial lines into the circular base so as to act as a guide - but the scribed lines didn't show up on the photo.

For the second one I think I'll use thicker plastic card for the base (0.5mm vs 0.3mm) and scribe the lines a bit deeper so that they are a more positive guide

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 3

As to the compressor face - yes I did scribe the radial lines into the circular base so as to act as a guide - but the scribed lines didn't show up on the photo.

For the second one I think I'll use thicker plastic card for the base (0.5mm vs 0.3mm) and scribe the lines a bit deeper so that they are a more positive guide

Thanks Steve :) I kinda thought you weren't relying only on green cap to positively hold in place those blades.

Side note: my wife doesn't ski either, but she's never come with me on a skiing week just to hang out in the mountains :( ... need I say I'm even more envious?

(she would highly appreciate gelato, though)

Ciao

• Like 1

My wife (she doesn't ski) took the bus to Courmayeur for the day Giorgio (and had gelato despite the snow) - might think of skiing the Italian side of Mont Blanc next year :)

Courmayeur is great but not that extensive - if determined you could probably ski every run in a day. I would highly recommend Megève though if you like the general area. Lovely, lovely skiing and lunch at the Alpette is a must.

• Like 1

great Steve ...
But the next time we come close to Italy, warns ...
skiing with you have done it gladly ... only 2,30h drive to Chamonix
:cold::cold::cold:

Agreed, we're not that far away from there. Silvano, we must drag Steve down to Italy sometimes and invite him to one of those modelling dinners your club does :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 1

Agreed, we're not that far away from there. Silvano, we must drag Steve down to Italy sometimes and invite him to one of those modelling dinners your club does :winkgrin:

Ciao

already done...
certainly this year we'll see you in Telford
come you too?

I've never really understood the over the top enthusiasm for this skiing malarkey...

I learnt to ski (at the RAF Winter Survival School at Oberammergau) but merely so I could do ski-mountaineering - it's far nicer skiing in to a climb than trudging in on foot!

Personally I think hanging on one's ice-axes is more of a winter sport than whooshing down some slope on a pair of planks!

Then again I'm probably a little odd...

• Like 1

great Steve ...

But the next time we come close to Italy, warns ...

skiing with you have done it gladly ... only 2,30h drive to Chamonix

:cold::cold::cold:

Ah Silvano - but if you ski as well as you build model aircraft you'd show me up on the slopes :)

Ciao

It's never a drag to visit Italy :)

already done...

certainly this year we'll see you in Telford

come you too?

Looking forward to that. Don't expect too much from Telford the town tho'. Not quite Courmayeur......

So - I've built Hawk number 2's compressor face (not quite the full working turbine PC might have led some to look out for (apologies) - but he's an erudite chap and allowed to indulge in a bit of hyperbole :)) and as ever it wos easier second time around.

I flattened the blades a bit more this time - which I think looks a bit better (not that much of it will be seen).

image_zpscvegdodz.jpeg

Compressor 2 has had a coat of gloss black enamel and is drying overnight - as I thought I'd see how it looked sprayed with alclad chrome (compressor 1 was done with alclad aluminium and a black oil wash):

image_zps9z2pstuq.jpeg

Steve

Edited by Fritag
  • Like 13

Yup, that'll do nicely :)

So

(I hate SO at the start of a sentence, but...) ;)

Should the fan colours be much different?

Thing is by the time we ask you have already done it, proved the concept and closed up the fuselages

:)

nice work but hey, all this skiing down long slippery surfaces

knock it off dude

I had to do 'skiing' exercises after my knee op and even the thought of doing it for real is making me wince

dammit I can hear my jaw creaking with the grimace's power :(

• Like 1

So

(I hate SO at the start of a sentence, but...) ;)

Should the fan colours be much different?

Nah. Should be the same of course :) but it's hard enough to to look down one 1/72 Hawk intake - I defy anyone to look down two on two different aircraft at one go to compare....:)

I'm just playing about - I just wondered if it would be brighter in chrome - maybe a bit more visible down the intake?

• Like 1

Ha ha

The 'real' reason I mentioned that is when I was doing the research for the Sherpa I got to see lots of the F100(?) engines that the aircraft was intended to transport all over Europe and it seemed that a few of them had 'odd colored' (sic) fans

Just saying

(another despised saying) ;)

Nice work on the second compressor Steve :thumbsup2: ; I agree it looks better with more flattened blades, but then again I do agree you won't be able to see much when it's in place ...

Ciao

• Like 1