Airfix 2015 Pt 2

Wez

Also, releasing i.e. Do 17, He 111 and Ju 52 in a short period would hurt their initial sales, as fewer people could shop them as hot brand new items at close to RRP. Initial sales are what give quickest return for the capital invested in research, production tools and marketing. Long term sales make the real profit. Model kit manufacturers need both. There are many old kits receiving flak from modellers but those kits help finance these new tool beauties.

Release at optimum intervals would mean a V-P being able to buy each of them as they hit the shelves. Then it would take another year just admiring the sprues before starting to build them (what? build a kit instead of building the stash?).

Regards, V-P

P.S. I´m not one of those that would be interested in a Ju 52. The C-47/Dakota/Li-2 neither but thanks on behalf of those who wanted that. I want a new tool Yak-9. If they want to redo something bigger why not the Pe-2? And a new Yak-9 would be very nice too.

Edited by vppelt68

Good call, lets be greedy and go for a chipmunk too

and a Jet Provost :thumbsup:

I predict a 1/72 T-6C sometime now that they are going to replace the Tucano. There are plenty of 'foreign' schemes for it, so it'll have international appeal.

Trevor

I bet the LIDAR technology will render the forthcoming Airfix Seaking very well. They are all old airframes and the outer skin is usually distinctly crinkly. When I think of other distinctly crinkly aircraft, I think of mainly two: the P47 and the BAe Hawk. Airfix have been energetically reboxing their Hawks in both 1/72 and 1/48th, but how about 1/24th? Limited appeal, I guess. You could only really sell it in quantity in Canada, Malaysia, South Africa, Kenya, United Arab Emirates, Australia, India, Kuwait, Finland, Indonesia, Bahrain, Oman, Switzerland, Korea, Malaysia or the UK, whom I understand to have a few. The aftermarket guys might start knocking out parts for the version they use in the USA, unless, of course, unless Airfix chucked in the parts as well.

• Like 1

A Jetstream, HS125 series and an up to date Islander all to 1/72, if no-one has asked for these as yet.

I've mentioned the HS125 & Jetstream for several years but no joy from Airfix so far. A U125/125-800 was announced by Sword but no sign of it yet and Amodel have announced a Jetstream 31.

Paul Harrrison

I've mentioned the HS125 & Jetstream for several years but no joy from Airfix so far. A U125/125-800 was announced by Sword but no sign of it yet and Amodel have announced a Jetstream 31.

Paul Harrrison

But you can't really make that version of Jetstream into an RAF one without converting it. It is a pity that Airfix have not looked at these as there are quite a few of them about in different variations.

Yep, need some Astazous for an RAF one. Can do an RN T.3 from it though you'd need to get the radar lumps and bumps. I'd be very happy if Airfix did a conversion sprue with Astazous and TPE331 engines.

Paul Harrison

Yep, need some Astazous for an RAF one. Can do an RN T.3 from it though you'd need to get the radar lumps and bumps. I'd be very happy if Airfix did a conversion sprue with Astazous and TPE331 engines.

Paul Harrison

Aren't there differences with the window arrangement and rear door as well?

Trevor

I'm still hoping for a 1/48 Supermarine Scimitar, in recent years Airfix seem to be using the Dynavector back catalogue for inspiration (Sea Vixen, TSR.2 and Javelin), that only leaves the Gannet, Scimitar, Wyvern, Hornets (both already covered by Trumpy) and Skyshark from Taro's well respected line-up.

I live in hope of a Scimitar, but would settle for a Gannet :winkgrin:

• Like 1

I'm still hoping for a 1/48 Supermarine Scimitar, in recent years Airfix seem to be using the Dynavector back catalogue for inspiration (Sea Vixen, TSR.2 and Javelin), that only leaves the Gannet, Scimitar, Wyvern, Hornets (both already covered by Trumpy) and Skyshark from Taro's well respected line-up.

I live in hope of a Scimitar, but would settle for a Gannet :winkgrin:

Gannet & Scimitar would be awfully nice!! As would a 1/72 TSR 2 FTP (Fits Together Properly) version !!. I hope Airfix reissue the 1/48 Lightning F1/F1A/F2 and Buccaneer at some point. Be nice to see brand new tools of the Harrier GR5/GR7 to go with the tin winged versions. That just leaves the P1127 / Kestrel to complete the Harrier collection...............................!!!!! :hmmm:

However, on the assumption that Airfix will be doing another advent calendar we will start finding out shortly. Given the Hornby connection, I would personally also love to see a series of H0/00 scale British Diesel Locos. Ok, I know it won't happen because there is probably not enough interest among the general modelling public but, no harm in fantasising!

Anyway, we can all be assured of the following ;

1) Delight and disappointment in probably equal measure

2Howls of "why, oh why, oh why did they do THAT when modellers are screaming out for _______________________ ( insert appropriate fantasy subject!) :lol:

2) One or more BIG surprises

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

Aren't there differences with the window arrangement and rear door as well?

Trevor

Not with the T1/T.2 and J31. Extra 'eyebrow' windows were added to all RAF/RN Jetstreams, and possibly the quickest way to converting a J31 to an Astazou-powered aircraft is to get an Airfix Pucara from eBay and rob it of the engine parts. The nacelles will require some reshaping, but not impossible (unless of course you have that conversion set for the old Airfix Jetstream lurking somewhere).

And while I'm not a railway modeller I would not be against building one or two steam locomotives if Airfix produced kits of them, particularly in 1/48 scale. Mallard, City of Truro or Flying Scotsman would be quite impressive looking in that scale, and a decent size as well. An A4 Pacific, including the tender, would come out at about 39 centimetres in 1/48.

Edited by T7 Models
  • Like 1

There certainly were differences in the window and rear between the military aircraft kitted by Airfix and all other Jetstreams. The C-10A had a cargo door which replaced the most aft window on that side.

The undercarriage is also different on the kit - but how much this is imply due to error on Airfix's part I can't say. The mainwheels are exposed being, IIRC, flush with the wing outboard and a raised rim maintaining this height around. The leg door also needs modifying.

Good news, there will be an Airfix advent calendar but unfortunately because of production problems we won't see it until late January. I am sure there will be something for everyone from Airfix in 2015 and the years to follow, just not everything. The way things are at the moment Airfix are spoilt for choice over what new kits to release each year, how many years will it take at the current rate of production before Airfix run out of popular subjects for new kits?

• Like 1

Good news, there will be an Airfix advent calendar but unfortunately because of production problems we won't see it until late January. I am sure there will be something for everyone from Airfix in 2015 and the years to follow, just not everything. The way things are at the moment Airfix are spoilt for choice over what new kits to release each year, how many years will it take at the current rate of production before Airfix run out of popular subjects for new kits?

Not really an advent calendar then! Best scrub the idea this year I reckon & just publish the full list of 2015 releases now. Put us all out of our misery! :lol:

Allan

• Like 5

Not really an advent calendar then! Best scrub the idea this year I reckon & just publish the full list of 2015 releases now. Put us all out of our misery! :lol:

Allan

I would only be a temporary relief: as soon as the 2015 releases are all announced we'll find a way to get into misery again discussing the potential news for 2016 :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 3

There certainly were differences in the window and rear between the military aircraft kitted by Airfix and all other Jetstreams. The C-10A had a cargo door which replaced the most aft window on that side.

The undercarriage is also different on the kit - but how much this is imply due to error on Airfix's part I can't say. The mainwheels are exposed being, IIRC, flush with the wing outboard and a raised rim maintaining this height around. The leg door also needs modifying.

But if we're talking about the differences between the Jetstream 31 and the T.1/T.2, which is what the question was, they are much less. The C-10A was unrepresentative of any other Jetstream variant, and it really makes you wonder why Airfix went with that when they planned a Jetstream model back in the early 1970s. The T.1 would have been a much better idea.

• Like 2

I laughed

But if we're talking about the differences between the Jetstream 31 and the T.1/T.2, which is what the question was, they are much less. The C-10A was unrepresentative of any other Jetstream variant, and it really makes you wonder why Airfix went with that when they planned a Jetstream model back in the early 1970s. The T.1 would have been a much better idea.

When the kit was planned, the idea of doing a subject that was set to be used by the USAF (and the hope was that the initial 11 would lead to a much bigger order) would have been a good idea. The RAF order was four years away.