"CAT with a hot tin roof" The Academy 1/72 PBY-5 Catalina "BLACK CAT"

Hello Johnny,

I trust the surgery went well. 😷

Nice to see you back and on form. 

• Thanks 1

Well done on the engines Johnny - they look really smart on the wings. 

Glad to hear you’re OK and I hope you get some modelling time in during recovery. 

• Thanks 1

On ‎02‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 5:59 PM, CedB said:

I wouldn't worry too much about biting Johnny as long as it's not 'hard' - as well as puppy 'teething' dogs use 'play biting' as part of their bonding and, if you're 'chosen' as the family member who gets to play, it'll carry on... Molly and I have a play session most evenings and even at five she play bites still; gross given her 'dog breath' but I guess it's the closest she can get to cuddling.

Old? You? Not yet old chap, not yet, but it'll come faster than you think! I hope you're saving for the pension... :sleep_1:

Hello Ced,

Sure I saved for my pension, around 400 1/48th kits, good start saving ! :guitar::rofl2:

Must start to save for the Blue Chimay to go on with all these kits !

10 to 12 years to do Aaaaand Relief !

Sincerely.

CC

• Haha 2

Hello Spad,

I wish you the best for your recovery !

General anaesthetic is really a problem for me !

I used to warn the surgeon but no one take care at what I say !!

In fact, I'm intolerant and use to wake up and try to flee the operation room

Sometimes at the expense of the surgery professionals but I told them so !!

So generally, it's not a matter of gin tonic but at least a bottle of gin, a bit of tonic and a bottle of Mezcal !

Since I generally receive a second dosis of "Keep quiet you fool" :rofl2: Not a joke alas !

Very good job on the cat !

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 1

Ohh general anesthetic. Had that when I was 13 for a knee operation (gotta love Rugby!).

I was shocked when the surgeon came round later that day to see he had a black eye..... apparently half way through the Op I'd sat up, called the surgeon a rude name and smacked him before anyone could react., and then lay back down.

Nice to see you back at the work table Johnny Convalescent.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Bigdave22014 said:

Ohh general anesthetic. Had that when I was 13 for a knee operation (gotta love Rugby!).

I was shocked when the surgeon came round later that day to see he had a black eye..... apparently half way through the Op I'd sat up, called the surgeon a rude name and smacked him before anyone could react., and then lay back down.

Nice to see you back at the work table Johnny Convalescent.

Hello Brother !!

I do the same at 7 when i have been cut, still I got the scar, but will NOT show it ! :wicked::wicked:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone for all your lovely well wishes. @Bigdave22014 your story made me chuckle:D, I'm sure I must have been whittering during my op, the nurse apparently mentioned to the wife that I was mad as a box of frogs. :penguin: (she's got me down good and proper) ^_^ The docs have said everything is healing nicely so all is good. :lol: which means I got a little bench time. First up was masking. The round windows I had planned on framing but it seemed too tricky and masking in one lump seemed a bit cumbersome so little at a time seems to be the way forward.

23748201428_8f4f177796_b.jpg

I covered one panel and found the very slight edge with a cocktail stick, then darkened with a pencil and cut with a brand new blade.

36930673643_92e1a79e05_b.jpg

pretty good. A little git of free hand here and there is needed but it should be fine.

23748201758_13dcd88030_b.jpg

a few more and all seems good, fast forward an hour aaaaand.

37342273060_d253165d91_b.jpg

pretty good. B)  I added the extra windows for the bottom section too. Then the cockpit canopy got some Tamiya goodness.

36875767653_883195e095_b.jpg

I'll green them up before a top coat gets added. Next though I wanted to get the aluminium base coat on.

36890524884_2821ef797b_b.jpg

fuselage top.

37568908922_38512c9dcc_b.jpg

and wings. Mmmm shiny.;)

and a silver bottom.

37568908622_fc1a963b94_b.jpg37568908782_f2bd886d5e_b.jpg

seems odd not doing a pre shade but I need to do 3 coats and the top coat is pretty much black. I might add Tamiya smoke on this coat as a post shade or I might leave it for the blue before the black coat.:hmmm: Either way the aluminium looks smashing! So I'll let that dry before I gloss coat.

hope you're all having a lovely week.

happy Modelling folks.

Johnny Silverman. :cat:

• Like 17

Great masking work on the transparent parts! Very well done :clap2:

The aluminium coating also looks superb! Really curious about your painting plans.

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

:wow: Canopy masking during recovery? Hat's off to you, J :worthy:

Great job all round, and lovely metallic coats. Which paints have you been using?

Ciao

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, John D.C. Masters said:

Looking great Johnny...you're right...that silver looks amazing.  It's almost too bad to paint it over...still...those window masks are superb.

Thanks John. :lol:

37 minutes ago, jrlx said:

Great masking work on the transparent parts! Very well done :clap2:

The aluminium coating also looks superb! Really curious about your painting plans.

Cheers

Jaime

Thanks. The plan (broad strokes) is to do metal first. Gloss and chipping fluid, then blue paint as the Catalina's were before the "Black cat" I'll chip the hell out of that, then another gloss coat, more chipping fluid and a faded back coat that will be chipped again showing blue and metal. I might try some new (to me) techniques on the black coat, salt etc. something along those lines. Probably. I think. :hmmm:

37 minutes ago, giemme said:

:wow: Canopy masking during recovery? Hat's off to you, J :worthy:

Great job all round, and lovely metallic coats. Which paints have you been using?

Ciao

Thanks G. The paint are my regular Vallejo metal colour. This one was "dull aluminium"

35 minutes ago, amblypygid said:

Yep, that's some lovely aluminum going down there, Johnny. Oooh, hold on, it's been a long time since I've listened to any Hawkwind...

Thanks. B) She sure is a Silver Machine. 

33 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Agreed, that aluminium looks stunning Johnny, sure you don't want to do an NMF one...?! :D

Keith

Thanks. She does look good like this but I'm looking forward to all that weathering a little too much.:pilot:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Hello Dears,

Sure, Our dear Spad will make a 1/48 NMF B-29 ....:wicked::wicked:

That will be great !!

Good job on the cat Spad, like the perfect masking and yes I'm a bit jealous !

Have a good modelling time.

Sincerely.

CC

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks everyone for all your lovely well wishes. @Bigdave22014 your story made me chuckle:D, I'm sure I must have been whittering during my op, the nurse apparently mentioned to the wife that I was mad as a box of frogs. :penguin: (she's got me down good and proper) ^_^ The docs have said everything is healing nicely so all is good. :lol: which means I got a little bench time. First up was masking. The round windows I had planned on framing but it seemed too tricky and masking in one lump seemed a bit cumbersome so little at a time seems to be the way forward.

23748201428_8f4f177796_b.jpg

I covered one panel and found the very slight edge with a cocktail stick, then darkened with a pencil and cut with a brand new blade.

36930673643_92e1a79e05_b.jpg

pretty good. A little git of free hand here and there is needed but it should be fine.

23748201758_13dcd88030_b.jpg

a few more and all seems good, fast forward an hour aaaaand.

37342273060_d253165d91_b.jpg

pretty good. B)  I added the extra windows for the bottom section too. Then the cockpit canopy got some Tamiya goodness.

36875767653_883195e095_b.jpg

I'll green them up before a top coat gets added. Next though I wanted to get the aluminium base coat on.

36890524884_2821ef797b_b.jpg

fuselage top.

37568908922_38512c9dcc_b.jpg

and wings. Mmmm shiny.;)

and a silver bottom.

37568908622_fc1a963b94_b.jpg

Just thought it was a silver foil. Well done

• Thanks 1

The masking on the transparencies look very good. Keep on going Johnny. 

• Thanks 1

Those masks are superb Johnny, just superb - great job.

OK, I'll ask (although I may regret it)... why do you have a cut up cork on the bench? :shrug:

• Haha 1