"CAT with a hot tin roof" The Academy 1/72 PBY-5 Catalina "BLACK CAT"

Hello Johnny, great progress. You've put me to shame. I've got one on the back burner, and just started another as you so kindly noticed. The interior looks very good with some rather nice highlights. 

I love your 🐶.

Hope you don't mind me putting a photo of my best mate Max on your WIP. 

1RpbLnL.jpg

He's short, fat and eats whatever is put in front of him. They say dogs get like their owners. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

I hope the move upstairs signified a promotion or pay rise at work Johnny.:nodding:

Wouldn't usually say this to a friend but glad to see that you put on weight in that last post:D.

Goodness, but that is a healthy wingspan on that bird, isn't it? Real soaring Albatross stuff altogether. You'll need a pay rise for the paint alone...:surprised:

Give Zero a ruffle for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fatboydim said:

Hello Johnny, great progress. You've put me to shame. I've got one on the back burner, and just started another as you so kindly noticed. The interior looks very good with some rather nice highlights. 

I love your 🐶.

Hope you don't mind me putting a photo of my best mate Max on your WIP. 

1RpbLnL.jpg

He's short, fat and eats whatever is put in front of him. They say dogs get like their owners. 

Thanks. :DNot really putting you to shame, your new bird looks great. I love seeing how other folks approach similar builds.

Max looks like a rather grand fellow, I'm sure you are too. :penguin:

4 hours ago, TheBaron said:

I hope the move upstairs signified a promotion or pay rise at work Johnny.:nodding:

Wouldn't usually say this to a friend but glad to see that you put on weight in that last post:D.

Goodness, but that is a healthy wingspan on that bird, isn't it? Real soaring Albatross stuff altogether. You'll need a pay rise for the paint alone...:surprised:

Give Zero a ruffle for me.

Actually a move down stairs. Alas all it signifies is continued employment, which in my line of work is a positive boon. ;) A nice bit of ballast up front is suiting me fine at the moment. Are you saying my wings look big in this? :rofl: Oh I see what you mean. :) luckily for me I have to paint this thing at least three times. :blink: donations are gratefully accepted. :lol:

Consider Zero ruffled! :)

1 hour ago, amblypygid said:

Just caught up on the last few weeks' progress, Johnny Lead. As ever, you're taming a beast with a great deal of delicacy (but force where needed). It's really coming together now, not long till paint!

Thanks. :) I'm quite looking forward to paint myself. I'm looking to buy some Daco red for the decals but everywhere seems sold out in the U.K.  :confused: 

thanks for sll all the kind words guys. 

Johnny

Edited by The Spadgent
  • Like 3

Hello Spad,

Very good improvements in your cat ! really like the way you did it !!

Zero seem to have settled in his new home ...

Good thing about job, I think about the same. They keep me on the road is already a kind of promotion!!

Glad to see your (Cat) Lead sled going on.

You will once again finish far ahead of me :penguin: as usual...

Congratulations.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp 

• Like 1

Just caught up with this epic build. Lovely work on the internals and well done on sorting out the tail sitting. I obtained a lifetime supply of lead sheet via a visit to my local scrap yard. Just off cuts of roofing lead had for a cheap price. I'm puzzled as to why you are leaving the main canopy off?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, corsaircorp said:

Hello Spad,

Very good improvements in your cat ! really like the way you did it !!

Zero seem to have settled in his new home ...

Good thing about job, I think about the same. They keep me on the road is already a kind of promotion!!

Glad to see your (Cat) Lead sled going on.

You will once again finish far ahead of me :penguin: as usual...

Congratulations.

Sincerely.

Corsaircorp 

Thanks CC  zero is getting there, just going through training, a lot less biting going on.:penguin: I'm glad it's not just me with the work

thing. I'm quite envious of @CedB and his retirement. I must be getting old eh. :D

5 hours ago, Nigel Heath said:

Just caught up with this epic build. Lovely work on the internals and well done on sorting out the tail sitting. I obtained a lifetime supply of lead sheet via a visit to my local scrap yard. Just off cuts of roofing lead had for a cheap price. I'm puzzled as to why you are leaving the main canopy off?

Thanks for the lovely comments.:giles:

Scrap yard you say. :hmmm: I'll have to check ours out. :star: I have left the screens off as I'm sick of unmasking at the end and finding plastic filings, dust, fog, you name it, all on the inside of my canopies. So this time I'll fit em at the end. Well I might pva them in place but we'll see. If you have any tips on keeping the grot out let me know. I guess I've been unlucky is all. :winkgrin:

John

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hello Johnny, 

I also leave my transparencies off until the end of the build if I can, and find I don't have a problem with blemishes. I think it's a build up of static which attracts the dust that has accumulated inside the model during construction.

I handle Perspex everyday at work, and just the act of handling it attracts dust. 

I think Nigel's idea might help in cases where you can't wait until the end of the build to add the transparent parts. 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Scrap yard you say. :hmmm: I'll have to check ours out. 

Also, next time you get tyres fitted, ask the fitter if they've got any old wheel weights they don't want, they'll often give you a pile of the things! I've enough lead to see me out from 8 inches of drain pipe made redundant from the bathroom refit a few years back! 

Lovely progress on the big Cat Johnny, coming on really well!

Keith

• Like 5

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Also, next time you get tyres fitted, ask the fitter if they've got any old wheel weights they don't want, they'll often give you a pile of the things!

True. I did that and came back with a full box of them (heavy stuff!). They literally have barrels of them to through away.

Ciao

• Like 1

18 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

Thanks CC  zero is getting there, just going through training, a lot less biting going on.

I wouldn't worry too much about biting Johnny as long as it's not 'hard' - as well as puppy 'teething' dogs use 'play biting' as part of their bonding and, if you're 'chosen' as the family member who gets to play, it'll carry on... Molly and I have a play session most evenings and even at five she play bites still; gross given her 'dog breath' but I guess it's the closest she can get to cuddling.

18 hours ago, The Spadgent said:

I'm quite envious of @CedB and his retirement. I must be getting old eh.

Old? You? Not yet old chap, not yet, but it'll come faster than you think! I hope you're saving for the pension... :sleep_1:

• Like 2

Very good progress, Jon, and great solution for the tail sitting problem :clap2:

The size of the wings is impressive!

Cheers

Jaime

Morning guys.

Thanks for all the lovely comments.:lol: It's been a funny old week, I was in for surgery on Tuesday, I must say general anaesthetic  is one of the strangest things, "Just like s couple of Gin and tonics" apparently. B)

Anyway All has gone well and I'm in recovery mode. Needless to say the cat has been slightly neglected.:o booooo.

I have got a little done over the last few days however so I thought I'd share. Remember the engines? Well they got painted Grey and silver.

36875767343_4f4ab73f94_b.jpg

This had to be done first as I want to get everything in place before the base metal under coat. So Flory and some sky grey highlights.

37514152082_664599d103_b.jpg

Not too bad. ^_^ the inside of the nacelles got painted and the whole lot got assembled and glued in place.

37287007000_a0578ed80e_b.jpg

there aren't any locating pins for the main construction fitting to the wing so I eyeballed it. :penguin: I'm doing the late version so these exhausts got added. Once again no locating pins but with a little gentle (ahem) persuasion the gaps vanished and left quite a good fit.

37287007350_e6414bf13f_b.jpg

Half got primed yesterday.

36875767563_23eed19910_b.jpg

I'm off work for the next few days so maybe I'll get some work done on the Cat.

Thanks for dropping by, I know it's not a lot but as my old man used to say. "Airun is better thun nairun" ;)

Take care chums and Happy Modelling.

Johnny.:cat:

• Like 18

Nice progress Johnny...Glad to see you back with the conscious...

I think actually you have done more than you think...

Engines?  Check!  Big wing?  Check!  Fuselage?  Check!  Gin and tonics?  Check!^_^

Now it is only some fiddly bits, putting the big pieces together, et voila!  What a ship she was!

Edited by John D.C. Masters
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi Johnny,

Welcome back! I hope you're recovering well!

Great paint and weathering job on the engines! Very well done :thumbsup:

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: the wing size is really impressive!

Cheers

Jaime

• Thanks 1

I just caught up on a few pages Johnny. Very enjoyable too :thumbsup: !

I know some would disagree, but this looks like quite a tricky kit to ‘think the order through’ for masking, weight, transparency time and so on. You’re doing a grand job with it :thumbsup2: . 

General anaesthetic is very odd, I agree. They gave me horse tranquilliser last time (Broken wrist and my hand needed moving back into place)! I thought I’d only been out for a second or two.  an hour had passed :o!

The nurses were giggling and smiling. I’d apparently said some very ‘risqué’ and ‘revealing’ things as I was coming around :blush:,

I hope you feel better soon. I’m glad the tray idea worked. I’m still stuck in bed and developing the tray idea, but it’s getting more feasible. 

Looking forward to seeing black on the cat and more of the dog :wub:.

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1