British Airways Fairey Rotodyne! Red Tail Delight!

On 2/26/2024 at 5:31 PM, woody37 said:

Got the pilots painted last night and simple rudder pedals added. Their faces look like the melting face scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark, but they're tiny in real life so all is forgiven Airfix!

spacer.png

Considering they’ve been stuck in that cockpit since 1959 I think they are looking good 😁

Excellent stuff as always Neil, every time I see this I think Gerry Anderson had a hand in its design.

Mike

• Haha 2

At least the pilots have their arms by their sides. Remember the pilots with their hands in their crotches, presumably meant to be grabbing a control column? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Mr T said:

At least the pilots have their arms by their sides. Remember the pilots with their hands in their crotches, presumably meant to be grabbing a control column? 

perhaps a different "column"?....

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, scautomoton said:

perhaps a different "column"?....

I was going to say joystick...... 

• Haha 3

Ya know, pilots have little attention span and need something to do. 

There are lots of civil pilot figures available, however, and some of the best I've seen are now available as 3D prints from @RCI

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

sorry there hasn't been many updates, 1/1 stuff has been getting in the way. I have got a bit done over the last few days, there's some paint on. some tidying up to do on the Negus markings as they were masked and painted. The only choice to make now is what text format to do on the rotor mast. The tail units and wings are just dry fitted at the moment. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 34

Oh boy, dont those colours suit it well and having the red/blue lettering stacked on the rear end would be lovely, but there's several hypotheticals for this scheme.

All stunning

• Like 1

That looks really nice, I am pondering doing my recently acquired on for the Airfix GB, and yours is inspirational.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2024 at 11:48 AM, Heather Kay said:

Wow! That looks amazing!

Thanks Heather

On 3/8/2024 at 12:29 PM, Back in the Saddle said:

Despite my suggestion for applying the livery to the rotor mast, I have to say it looks great with the Negus colours on the fins!👍

I spent a few hours looking through the options, I reckon all would of looked good! There's something about the simple Negus look that graced the airliners that kept bringing me back to that scheme though!

On 3/8/2024 at 1:07 PM, CH-53D said:

That is coming out rather splendidly!

Cheers

Cheers Rory

On 3/8/2024 at 3:16 PM, perdu said:

Oh boy, dont those colours suit it well and having the red/blue lettering stacked on the rear end would be lovely, but there's several hypotheticals for this scheme.

All stunning

Hi Bill, I looked at doing the red / blue lettering but it looked too light and a test print wasn't as sharp as some decals I had so I've gone with using some proper decals. I'm quite happy with the look in the end :)

23 hours ago, Mr T said:

That looks really nice, I am pondering doing my recently acquired on for the Airfix GB, and yours is inspirational.

Thanks, I might join in that one, it's been a while since I did a GB.

Cracked on this morning, the fuselage is pretty much done, just need to add some serials. Dreading sorting those props and the rotor out, they look fiddly! One of the figures has broken loose from their seat inside so we now have an annoying rattle when I handle it!

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Sticky out bits soon!

Cheers

Neil

• Like 42

Wow Neil, she's looking superb. I was gobsmacked when I saw the image with the masking still on. Then, when I scrolled down to the reveal, amazed! The scheme really suits the ship, just imagine if t had gone into service? These flying all over the UK and the continent!

Colin

• Like 2

Amazing job--just needs a little cleanup on the cockpit windows.  What paint and clear coat did you use to represent the white crown?  The level of gloss/flat is perfect, and something I'd like to strive for with my current build: a Vickers Viking 1a.

Pesky passengers!  They're always moving around the cabin when you insist that they stay seated.

• Haha 3

Just caught up with this one Woody. You are turning it into a thing of real beauty.

Impressed (very) of Mars👽

• Like 1

11 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Wow Neil, she's looking superb. I was gobsmacked when I saw the image with the masking still on. Then, when I scrolled down to the reveal, amazed! The scheme really suits the ship, just imagine if t had gone into service? These flying all over the UK and the continent!

Colin

Thanks Colin, yes, another 'What-if' of an alternative British history. Compare the aviation world of yesteryear to what we now, the sky full of tubes with two engines....quiet engines too!

11 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Amazing job--just needs a little cleanup on the cockpit windows.  What paint and clear coat did you use to represent the white crown?  The level of gloss/flat is perfect, and something I'd like to strive for with my current build: a Vickers Viking 1a.

Pesky passengers!  They're always moving around the cabin when you insist that they stay seated.

Thanks, yes a bit of clean up needed. The paint is MRP with their semi-matt over a coat of their gloss which I used to seal the decals in. Real BA Negus aircraft appeared to lose their shine over time so I wanted to capture this 'in service' look. The rattle is quite annoying, I just hope the dancing doesn't catch on with the other passengers!

1 hour ago, Ad-4N said:

Always looks like something from a Gerry Anderson show.  Great job.  

Yes, something we might find in Thunderbirds! 

done a bit more over the last couple of days. The undercarriage is very basic with doors that would way a couple of tons real world! I've cut the oleo section out of the front gear (assuming this is what was there) and replaced with a brass tube and added the scissor legs. Also started to either thin or replace the doors to give them a more scale thickness:

spacer.png

And de-riveting the rotors before re-detailing them:

spacer.png

Cheers

Neil

• Like 16