1/48 - Bristol Bulldog Mk.II by Airfix - box art+schemes+test build+3D renders - release April 2024

Homebee

I'll take at least one of these, given that two options are for machines that operated from one of the Stations I previously served at...Upavon.

WRT the seemingly 'underwhelming' Airfix 2024 Product Release announcement, I suspect this is just a clever ploy from Airfix and that we WILL see other brand-new 1:48 scale kit announcements throughout the year. I spoke with those 'in the know' following the surprise release of the Westland Sea King and ME410 in 2023 and subsequent market reaction to this 'old school' approach to the release of new kits (remember the 1970s folks...?..this is so much more exciting than getting a full list at the beginning of the year with only half the list actually appearing)   

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Tiger331 said:

I'll take at least one of these, given that two options are for machines that operated from one of the Stations I previously served at...Upavon.

WRT the seemingly 'underwhelming' Airfix 2024 Product Release announcement, I suspect this is just a clever ploy from Airfix and that we WILL see other brand-new 1:48 scale kit announcements throughout the year. I spoke with those 'in the know' following the surprise release of the Westland Sea King and ME410 in 2023 and subsequent market reaction to this 'old school' approach to the release of new kits (remember the 1970s folks...?..this is so much more exciting than getting a full list at the beginning of the year with only half the list actually appearing)   

Well let's hope, because for anyone primarily interested in 1:48 Cold War stuff there is nothing! 

Edited by AstroCanary
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, AstroCanary said:

Well let's hope, because for anyone primarily interested in 1:48 Cold War stuff there is nothing! 

Insert your own minority modelling interest here.

But - isn't the Chipmunk 1/48 and of the Cold War period?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, AstroCanary said:

Totally agree (and this is my main area of interest too)..............I don't think we will be left 'high and dry' by Airfix in 2024

• Like 1

This is the standout release for me - £28.99 seems pretty reasonable for what you appear to get.

In both their Scalextric and Corgi videos they have both said that there will be surprise releases throughout the year so I think they have taken the positive feedback from the biggies from this year and run with it as a marketing strategy. As such suspect your 1/72 Jaguar and a vehicle of some sort will be 'flash' released during 2024

TT

• Like 2

I initially missed that this was 1/48. Not an era I have done much in but the 1/72 Model decal sheet of pre war fRAF fighters had some gorgeous colours, particularly the roundel blue that I fancy a few of these. Hopefully there will br more like this.

9 minutes ago, Tiger331 said:

I suspect this is just a clever ploy from Airfix and that we WILL see other brand-new 1:48 scale kit announcements throughout the year.

I'm pretty sure you're right - look what happened last year.  Also, it's off-topic, so let's stick to the Bulldog. :yes:

The Bulldog is a new tool, I'm guessing, as there's nothing from Airfix in 1:48 on Scaley-mates, which is my preferred scale.  While it's not my preferred era, I think I'll be getting one, just because the way things have been going, the designers at Airfix are improving their kits with every release, so I look forward to the new tools no-matter what they are. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

Insert your own minority modelling interest here.

But - isn't the Chipmunk 1/48 and of the Cold War period?

Well if you want to be a pedant about it, then yes; but when we still have the previous release available I suspect it will be of limited interested for many.

I was clearly living in la-la land but I was hoping for a new tooling for one of Jaguar, Tonka, EE Lightning or FGR2 🤪

edit to add: am actually pleased with this release, mind.  Not my favourite era but this is the pick of the bunch.

Edited by AstroCanary
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mike said:

I'm pretty sure you're right - look what happened last year.  Also, it's off-topic, so let's stick to the Bulldog. :yes:

The Bulldog is a new tool, I'm guessing, as there's nothing from Airfix in 1:48 on Scaley-mates, which is my preferred scale.  While it's not my preferred era, I think I'll be getting one, just because the way things have been going, the designers at Airfix are improving their kits with every release, so I look forward to the new tools no-matter what they are. :)

Yeah they've confirmed on book of face that this is indeed a new tool.

• Like 2

Saw this too just now and will have one, but when ... oh ... when, will Airfix release a new tool 1/48 Lysander?

Thats what we want, what we really really want

Just wondering, but this model will need some rather intricate wing wiring rigging, will Airfix have this out of the box? Probably not? But achievable for most of us, I guess.

Edited by One 48

• Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - Bristol Bulldog Mk.II by Airfix - box art+schemes+test build+3D renders - release Spring 2024

Happy. Last year I finally built one of the Pyro/Lindberg/Lifelike kits, and while it looks like a Bulldog with a modicum of work, this one should be easier and look better. Plus I'll have two sets of spare decals for the remaining Pyros...............

Rigging on a Bulldog isn't particularly complex, or hard to do, and I hope nobody is detered by it.

Paul.

• Like 8

I hope Airfix will follow up with, or an aftermarket company will release a conversion, to make this kit into a Bulldog Mk.IVa to model the ones used by Finland which I believe were the only Bulldogs to fire their guns in anger.

• Like 2