Hasegawa 1/72 B-24J Kentucky Belle

woody37

21 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Drop dead gorgeous, shame to dirty it up!

I know what you mean, the paint came out rather nice and I had a similar thought, but cracked on as I wanted to recreate the worn look in the pictures.

19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well thats looking good, Ive got an Academy kit coming to me in February. Those are similar to the Hasegawa’s from what Ive read. If this is correct so this gives me an idea as to what to expect. 

From the pics i've seen, the Academy one looks good, but I think I'll hold out for a couple of the new Airfix ones. I hope the finesse is on par with the recent Messerschmitt 410.  

17 hours ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

Superb Neil.. like you ..it's one of my favourite WW2 planes.. just wish there were more B-24 kits on the market. Following this build with much interest!

Regards Andy

There will be soon, we have the new Airfix kit coming which I'm hoping will have other variant potential and the Hobbyboss 1/48 kit has just been released too. Things are going the right way :)

This afternoon I had a dabble with the oils to give a worn look. Apart from some of the streaks back from the engines across the wings that are showing in pics, I don't want to go much further than this. Really pleased with how it's looking as I was on the fence a bit from doing much.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Getting there slowly :)

Cheers

Neil

• Like 27

18 minutes ago, woody37 said:

There will be soon, we have the new Airfix kit coming which I'm hoping will have other variant potential and the Hobbyboss 1/48 kit has just been released too. Things are going the right way :)

WOW!  thanks.. I am becoming moist with anticipation !!!! I will have a look online. Last time was months ago. Cheers

Regards, Andy

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Great work Neil

Shes looking stunning thus far. 

James

Thanks James :)

21 minutes ago, Col Walter E Kurtz said:

WOW!  thanks.. I am becoming moist with anticipation !!!! I will have a look online. Last time was months ago. Cheers

Regards, Andy

🤣🤣🤣 My missus was the opposite when she seen me pull the 'Consolidated Mess' book out for some bedtime reading 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, woody37 said:

From the pics i've seen, the Academy one looks good, but I think I'll hold out for a couple of the new Airfix ones. I hope the finesse is on par with the recent Messerschmitt 410.  

Oh I will be buying one of those as well, they probably wont get to this side if the Atlantic though until late this year or early next. By that time I should actually have the $ for it ? 

• Like 3

Neil,

Lovely work - I think you've got the weathering just right,

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Oh I will be buying one of those as well, they probably wont get to this side if the Atlantic though until late this year or early next. By that time I should actually have the $ for it ? 

I might release a few kits from the stash to make room for some of these newer kits coming through, they are being released faster than I can build!

19 hours ago, Dunny said:

Neil,

Lovely work - I think you've got the weathering just right,

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger :)

In the background, I've gone back to the turrets. They need brightening up a bit, I painted these with the last of an old bottle of MRP Super Silver that doesn't seem to have gone on well so I'll re-mask them and do again. The other thing I'm doing is filling the gaps in around the barrels to represent how they look. Once painted, I'll drill a hole out for the barrels.

spacer.png

The real thing:

spacer.png

This afternoon, I got the bomb bay complete and barn doors on. The weathering streaks have altered slightly since taking the pics, more inline with the photo's of the real thing:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The weathering has been done by oils rather than pastels which are more in my comfort zone, but the pastels need a more matt coat to grip so it's been a fun experiment...

spacer.png

Still need to find out whether it will be a tail sitter or not 😬

Cheers

Neil

• Like 23

I like the weathering you’ve done Neil, it coincides well with the number of missions displayed on the nose. Nice attention to detail.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 1

they are being released faster than I can build!

Tell me about it! :rolleyes:

The weathering has been done by oils rather than pastels which are more in my comfort zone, but the pastels need a more matt coat to grip so it's been a fun experiment...

Which seems to be going well.

Still need to find out whether it will be a tail sitter or not

Surely not, with the amount you used!

Looks absolutely great Neil. Makes me want a B-24!

Cheers,

Charlie

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, MrB17 said:

I like the weathering you’ve done Neil, it coincides well with the number of missions displayed on the nose. Nice attention to detail.

Cheers

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. There's a few things that are wrong that I will have to live with. The windscreen should only be three panes, the starboard side waist gun isn't staggered within the bay window (St Pauls window as I found out reading the Consolidated Mess book) and I'm still deliberating on fitting the armoured panels to the canopy.

Got the masks off earlier, the fuselage is pretty much done down apart from sticky out bits which I'll leave until last. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Tell me about it! :rolleyes:

Which seems to be going well.

Surely not, with the amount you used!

Looks absolutely great Neil. Makes me want a B-24!

Cheers,

Charlie

Thanks Charlie, I know you'll do a great job of one so look forwards to it if you do. 

Hopefully I'll get the main gear legs on tomorrow for a test.

Brilliant work! I'll be coming back to this thread later on for some tips. I've been honing my NMF skills on some 1/72 Mustangs before taking on my own Hasegawa B-24. Luckily Airfix have the new B-24 coming out so it won't be too costly if/when I stuff it up.

• Like 2

Looking very silvery Neil. I like it, like it a lot...

Colin the Wessex nut.

• Like 1

That's looking superb, Neil! I really like the weathering you've done on this one

James

• Like 1

Liking the weathering you have achieved Neil, it's added a lot of character. It's knocked back the shine and showed up the shape.

Looking good, pity Tony is not able to follow the build!

Colin the Wessex nut

• Like 2