Cheese Sellers (38076) 1:35

Mike

Cheese Sellers (38076)

1:35 MiniArt via Creative Models Ltd

boxtop.jpg

Anyone for a wheel of cheese?  It sounds a little strange referring to cheese that can be bought as a wheel, but that’s how cheese was originally made, either as a shallow cylindrical ‘wheel’, or a portion or wedge for those with a lesser appetite or budget.  Up until relatively recently, that’s how it was sold, and could be purchased from a street vendor before we sullied the air with coal dust and other contaminants.

This set arrives in an end-opening figure box, and contains two figures, a cheese cart, six shallow trays, a LOT of cheese of various shapes and sizes, plus a sack trolley for the larger cheese wheels if you wish to use it.  Inside the box are twelve sprues in grey styrene of various sizes, a small decal sheet, and an instruction sheet for the cheese cart and trolley.  The back of the box sports a highly detailed rendering of the cover art with the background removed, plus several small paintings that depict the various cheeses and the trolley, giving part numbers and colour suggestions for them all, including the figures, accompanied by a table that gives colour codes for Vallejo, Mr Color, AK RealColor, Mission Models, AMMO, and Tamiya.

figures.jpg

sprue1.jpg

sprue2.jpg

The parts for each figure are found on separate sprues for ease of identification, and parts breakdown is sensibly placed along clothing seams or natural breaks to minimise clean-up of the figures once they are built up.  The sculpting is typically excellent, as we’ve come to expect from MiniArt’s artists and tool-makers, with natural poses, drape of clothing and textures appropriate to the parts of the model.  One character is a lady in a skirt and blouse with an apron and pleated hat indicating she’s the seller, that and the fact that she’s wearing white gloves and is cutting into a wheel of cheese.  The other person is a lady in a knee-length sleeveless dress, counting her change before putting it back in the bag hung over one arm.  The thickness of the hem of the skirt has been slimmed down to give a more realistic effect, as is that of the cheese purveyor.

The cheeses are found on four identical sprues, plus another two with smaller cheeses and some meat, some of the cheeses of the holey variety.  There are also two sprues of trays, each containing parts for three, the planked bases having the longer sides moulded-in, adding separate ends with handles cut-out of the centre.  The boxes are displayed on the cart, which has a planked base, two rails with stands and suspension moulded-in, and handles at the end, across which the axle fits along with two spoked wheels.  The boxes are raised to an angle on a pair of stands that locate in holes in the cart’s deck.  The trolley for the big cheeses is made from a ladder with a C-shaped bracket at the bottom, an axle and small wheels, plus short supports near the handle ends.

completedmodel.jpg

Markings

You are at liberty to paint the figures, cart and trolley any colour you like, but the cheeses are usually some variation between yellow and orange, with a few exceptions such as Edam with its waxy red covering.  The decal sheet that is included with the model is printed with a plethora of labels for your painted cheeses, four of them larger, the rest in more moderate sizes, which should be enough to finish the cheeses included in the box, especially if you apply decals to only the top cheese of any stacks you make.

instructions.jpg

decals.jpg

Decals are screen-printed by Cartograf, which is a guarantee of good registration, sharpness and colour density, with a thin matt carrier film cut close to the printed areas.

Conclusion

Whilst people wouldn’t be selling cheese in the middle of a street battle, there are still plenty of opportunities to incorporate this set into your next diorama, vignette, or just build and paint it for the sake of having it on your shelf.

Highly recommended.

bin.jpg

Review sample courtesy of

logo.gif

• Like 6

Now I just feel hungry.  I have some Cheddar (so strong it makes your teeth itch), white Stilton and Blue Wensleydale in the fridge...  And I am aware of the irony that Stilton is usually blue while Wensleydale is usually white. :)

Edit:  almost forgot that I bought some Montagnolo Affine yesterday.  I'd never heard of it before but it looked good so I thought I would give it a shot.  Turns out that it's like a blue Brie and it's utterly sublime!!!  :thumbsup: 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

This set would be most useful broken in to its constituent parts; the women separate from the cheese cart. 

To you, of course.  Other folks may disagree.  I believe the cheese is being released separately, so there's a hope that the rest might be done too.  We'll have to wait and see though :)

Now, this has put me in a right pickle.... I would say I'm caught between a Roquefort and a hard-place. Not sure I Camembert the strain..... I'm Chedding-the-hell-out-a-here (please add your own cheese-themed quips, at your leisure).

There's a special prize for any joke which induces involuntary nose-bleeds in the reader. 

Chris.

PS: Dad Jokes Rule Forever!

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information
  • Haha 5

And I thought this might be a sensible thread since we'd already used the cream of the dairy-related jokes on the milkmen

There seems to be a pattern of releases based on the Lieferwagen loads with various peeps and props included

/P

• Haha 2

I said to Julien (I think) the other day "this is going to be one of those threads that drift into terrible puns".  Same as the pigeons, the sheep, and more recently, the Milkmen.  One gets a feel for these things :)

• Haha 5

1 minute ago, Mike said:

I said to Julien (I think) the other day "this is going to be one of those threads that drift into terrible puns".  Same as the pigeons, the sheep, and more recently, the Milkmen.  One gets a feel for these things :)

Surely not Mike. Right you lot just as it’s Christmas no puns on this one just for @Mike and @Julien

So Mike, does it have a best to build by date on the box?

Ill get my coat then

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, Alan P said:

I always felt the diorama community lactose.

Is it a requirement to have them amputated when you complete your first dio? :owww:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

50 minutes ago, bootneck said:

with or without toes.

I'd prefer them with toes personally, but there are some civilians available from MiniArt that could be used with little or no adaptation to represent Britischers.  It would be nice to  get some ARPs and firemen, as well as some little old ladies and kids in shorts playing in the rubble though :)

1 minute ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

https://www.modelu3d.co.uk/

You can have them in any scale you want. 

That's a bit :offtopic:for a review about cheese sellers though Enzo.  You could pop it in the Figure Discussion area though, where it would also get more coverage :)

• Like 2