Sailor’s Spitfire Mk.I, Airfix 1/72

A quick mojo booster - Airfix small Spitfire straight from the box (just PE seat belts were added). Flt/Lt Adolphus "Sailor" Malan flew this particular plane with No. 74 squadron during the Battle of Britain. I used Gunze paints and decals from different sources (Airfix, Revell, Tally Ho...) and followed the 1/48 Eduard paint scheme. Thanks for looking.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 70
  • Thanks 1

Very nice model and tribute to a very good airman! It's to each his own when it comes to weathering and wear and tear, but most Spits were notorious for oil and coolant stains  on the belly from the lines and or fittings on them. Not a criticism, as your model is better than I could do, but maybe a suggestion as to taking an already excellent build up another notch towards being a replica, not just a model. :goodjob:

Mike

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

Very good model! Shows well that "trenchy" panel lines actually look perfect when neatly treated with wash and appropriate weathering and preshading. 

Don't say that, the mob will be after you......

8 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Very nice model and tribute to a very good airman! It's to each his own when it comes to weathering and wear and tear, but most Spits were notorious for oil and coolant stains  on the belly from the lines and or fittings on them. Not a criticism, as your model is better than I could do, but maybe a suggestion as to taking an already excellent build up another notch towards being a replica, not just a model. :goodjob:

Mike

But it is a model......cough Britmodeller......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Your Spitfire looks fine the way it is.  I think the comment about weathering is to have the heavy panel lines match a well used and heavily stained combat machine whose pristine finish has long gone by the wayside.  Thanks for sharing this neat little kit you made and finished. 

• Thanks 1

Awesome job of the model- re weathering- was just watching "Reach for the Sky" with Kenneth Moore, movie made in 1956, and actually uses MkXIV spits for the battle of Britain footage and not Mk1s, but the amount of wear and tear on them is very visible- possibly thru 10 years storage I know, but an indication of the rough treatment they got.

Very nicely finished, looks like a perfect display model exactly as it is. But the modern obsession with 'weathering' (whatever that is) will always push us towards messy rather than neat models.

On 11/20/2023 at 2:24 AM, 72modeler said:

a replica, not just a model.

He said it was a mojo booster, just let the guy do his thing, it's an excellent model from a pretty basic kit. 

1 hour ago, Alan P said:

Very nicely finished, looks like a perfect display model exactly as it is. But the modern obsession with 'weathering' (whatever that is) will always push us towards messy rather than neat models.

He said it was a mojo booster, just let the guy do his thing, it's an excellent model from a pretty basic kit. 

Its a fantastic little model.  

Certainly agree with the weathering craze comment as well.  The picture of the exception is being used as the rule nowadays, particularly in the case of a lot of models of modern jets.

Hi guys, thank you. And I absolutely agree that the weathering could/should be stronger - but frankly I’m not very good at weathering. I will probably try some streaks and dirt. Anyway I enjoyed the build a lot - and that’s the most important thing in our hobby I would say 😄

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marcel said:

Hi guys, thank you. And I absolutely agree that the weathering could/should be stronger - but frankly I’m not very good at weathering. I will probably try some streaks and dirt. Anyway I enjoyed the build a lot - and that’s the most important thing in our hobby I would say 😄

A little goes a long way, Marcel! When you think you haven't done enough, stop- you've probably done too much! I would also suggest you practice on some old or scrap wings and fuselages, if you have them. Spray with primer, and then try weathering on them. For coolant/oil stains, use dark brown or  black, highly thinned, then using an old brush with almost  all the bristles removed,, streak the highly thinned paint in the direction of the airflow, darker at the point of origin, and lighter the further you get away from that point. In 1/72 scale, it's very hard not making the wash too dark, so experiment with the paint/thinner ratio. (I  paint with enamels and use mineral spirits to thin, as it flows better and doesn't dry immediately..) Try to find photos that show where stains/leaks usually occur, as well as the pattern of the flow. After a while, you will get the hang of it! There are a lot of modelers here on BM who are masters of the technique, and you can learn a lot by looking at their builds and asking them questions; I know I have! Hope this helps!

Mike

Well-known photo of  a Mk XII that probably illustrates one of the dirtiest Spitfires ever! But note how the coolant and oil stains follow the airflow.

Photo via Reddit

photWell06zx152fn0s51.jpg

Here's another example- there were lines that carried the coolant or oil to and from the engine on the Spitfire, so that is why the belly area got so messy. These are two extreme examples, but you get the idea.

photo from WW2aircraft website.

spitfire-undersides-jpg.146275

• Thanks 1

On 11/21/2023 at 12:22 PM, Marcel said:

It’s your model, build it and finish it how you want, which you clearly have done and it’s beautiful.

My last build I that posted on here received comments of too heavy panel line wash for the weathering, so it just proves the point you can’t please everybody 🙂

• Thanks 1