Dawn of the Jet Age 1943-1953. GB 2025.

bissyboat

8 hours ago, Tim R-T-C said:

I'm all in for this GB - I love the early jets, Red Star emblazoned particularly.

I've got MiG-15s a plenty, MikroMir do a nice Yak-23, but best of all, this set recently came into my collection :

spacer.png

That´s sweet music to my ears. I/144 is a nice little bite size. I´m adding you to the list now. 👍

• Like 1

I am interested, as this is one of my main interests. However I am puzzled by the starting date. Why 1943 when the first jet - the Heinkel He 178 - first flew in 1939?
And is the GB is only for fighters? In this case the Arado 239 would be out. Also, would rocket powered aircraft be allowed? And what about jet engine test beds, like the Lancaster? And the Nene Vicking, or the Avro Canada Jetliner?

In any case I have lots of kits that fit in the subject.

Carlos

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 18:48, CarLos said:

I am interested, as this is one of my main interests. However I am puzzled by the starting date. Why 1943 when the first jet - the Heinkel He 178 - first flew in 1939?
And is the GB is only for fighters? In this case the Arado 239 would be out. Also, would rocket powered aircraft be allowed? And what about jet engine test beds, like the Lancaster? And the Nene Vicking, or the Avro Canada Jetliner?

In any case I have lots of kits that fit in the subject.

Carlos

Thank you for voicing your interest. Yes. The Heinkel He 178 was the first prototype to fly with a turbojet engine in August 1939. Heinkel He 280 was the second to be made in the year after, September 1940. But we´re not just looking at the first prototypes. We also have a wide range of fighters that were commisioned for aerial combat during the turning point of the war that kicked off the arms race when the world started to enter the jet age. That did not happen in the late 30s, because the testflight of the Heinkel He178 was almost a failure and the Heinkel He 280 was folded due to intricate technical difficulties, giving the Me262 all the financial means for full development from 1941. The prototypes mentioned above were definitely the stepping stones to a potential future of new generation fighters. Yes. Jet bombers and jet fighters, and rocket powered fighters are part of the same parcel. All the above works for me. You´re on the list. 👍

Edited by bissyboat
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, trickyrich said:

Oooo...I seemed have missed this one going up......yes please I have a few likely candidates, including a Fisher Model & Pattern Panther which I really should build.

Consider it done, Rich. You´re on the list. 👍

I think jet bombers have also been mentioned so, looking in the stash, the AMT 1/72 XB-35 and YB-49 Flying Wings, and a Valom B-45A Tornado in the same scale. Also 1/144 Anigrand resin Convair XB-46, Martin XB-48, and the Martin XB-51. The years immediately after the end of WW2 saw the most amazing selection of prototype jet aircraft. A great idea for a group build 👍

Michael

• Like 2

On 14/11/2023 at 23:55, Ghostbase said:

Count me in please, probably a 1/48 Czech Model North American FJ-1 Fury which has sat in the stash for many years 🙂

Michael

Sounds good, Michael. I will promptly add you to the list.

On 15/11/2023 at 00:12, Ghostbase said:

I think jet bombers have also been mentioned so, looking in the stash, the AMT 1/72 XB-35 and YB-49 Flying Wings, and a Valom B-45A Tornado in the same scale. Also 1/144 Anigrand resin Convair XB-46, Martin XB-48, and the Martin XB-51. The years immediately after the end of WW2 saw the most amazing selection of prototype jet aircraft. A great idea for a group build 👍

Michael

Yes. That would be excellent. 👍

On 15/11/2023 at 11:38, rafalbert said:

Count me in for this one, I have a few that would fit in.

Dave

Brilliant Dave. You´ll be on the list in a few ticks. 👍

On 15/11/2023 at 15:14, John Masters said:

Yes and yes please.

Hehehe. No worries. Thank you for joining the GB. 👍

7 hours ago, Johnson said:

It would be a good opportunity to build this, but it flew in 1941, so may be too early?

It would seem appropriate for the 'Dawn of the Jet Age'?

Cheers,

A lot of prototypes were made and tested before 1943. It´s well qualified for the GB. You´re on the list Charlie. 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zebra said:

Does it have to be military? How about the Comet?

No. There´s no criteria for military or civilian subjects. Can be one or the other. I will add civvy examples on the list too. Shall I write you down for the GB proposal? 😙

Can I play along nicely with either a Classic Airframes or Trumpeter 1/48 Supermarine Attacker?

The stash also contains many Vampires, Meteors, Me262s, E28/39, Sea Hawks (if they can be backdated earlier than the FGA.6's that are the stock models) and Canberras which would be a welcome diversion from the batch of Hunters I'm building at present!!

On 21/11/2023 at 05:58, Peter Lloyd said:

I would love to add to my growing collection of straight-wing jets.  Add me but too many possibilities to predict what it will be.

That´s no probs. You just play it by ear. 👍

On 21/11/2023 at 13:23, JOCKNEY said:

I've lots of Luft 46 stuff in the stash, sign me up please 

Cheers Pat 

On 23/11/2023 at 13:36, Fatcawthorne said:

Can I play along nicely with either a Classic Airframes or Trumpeter 1/48 Supermarine Attacker?

The stash also contains many Vampires, Meteors, Me262s, E28/39, Sea Hawks (if they can be backdated earlier than the FGA.6's that are the stock models) and Canberras which would be a welcome diversion from the batch of Hunters I'm building at present!!

All the above are feasible subjects. Supermarine Attacker and English Electric Canberra would fit the bill too. Yes. go ahead. 👍

On 26/11/2023 at 20:15, Back in the Saddle said:

This totally floats my boat, so count me in!👍

Thank you for joining and welcome aboard. You´re all added to the list. 🌟

• Thanks 2

7 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Oh, I only now noticed this GB proposal and realized I have an Airfix Me 262 in the hands of the UPS, on its way to me. Oh, I think I should ask to be added to the list, please 🙂. V-P

Done and dusted. Welcome aboard. 👍

• Thanks 1