Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

1,008 Excellent

About Ghostbase

  • Rank
    Obsessed Member

Contact Methods

  • Website URL

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    Guildford UK
  • Interests
    1/48th military aviation

Recent Profile Visitors

2,737 profile views
  1. Thanks, that looks very interesting indeed and I will give it a go. Michael
  2. My father flew with 16 Squadron out of Fassburg 1946/47 and I want to finish the model in 'his' Tempest V which I recall was 'EG-V'. He did keep a diary and I recall several entries where he grouses that he was not allocated a flight because of a shortage of serviceable aircraft, I think he did refer to manpower shortages. He did refer to painting his Tempest's spinner blue. Michael
  3. One of my hobbies is looking for 'ghost towns' in parts of the USA and Canada and I have seen my fair share of abandoned cars and trucks, also 'fixer uppers' which often slowly deteriorate in people's yards. I have also happened across a couple of old scrap yards which still have vehicles that date back to the 40's and 50's and they were quite a sight to see! Michael
  4. I would like to be added to the list, thanks. Michael
  5. Just wanted to share this, one of my other aviation related hobbies is aircraft photography and in the 20 years from 1985 to 2005 I took tens of thousands of photos of aircraft and posted many of them on discussion boards, Google Groups, as well as on-line databases such as Airliners.dot.Net. Sadly aviation can be an unforgiving business and a small number of aircraft that I have photographed over the years have been involved in fatal accidents. This 'moral dilemma' cropped up a while ago when some aviation photographers who I then knew stated that they would not post or share photos of aircr
  6. Interesting choice of subject, I had forgotten that the TF-9J Cougar was used during the Vietnam War. Just took a look in the stash and found the 1/48th scale Kitty Hawk offering... in exactly the same markings Michael
  7. My first Academy 1/48th F-4B Phantom, I started this kit three years ago however she went on the shelf of suspended doom when I started to get frustrated with airbrushing with acrylic paints. I re-started her a few weeks ago, to be quite honest it was a 'just get it finished' job and it remained that way until I started to apply the decals. Somehow the ugly duckling turned into a swan, or at least something approaching that. This is the end result: 20201018_124319 (2) by Ghostbase, on Flickr This was my first build of the Academy Phantom. I am used to the ESCI/Italeri a
  8. Thanks, good point! I will try some grey oils to bring the panels out a bit more Michael
  9. Way back in 1977 Revell released kit H-288 which was a 1/48th scale McDonnell-Douglas F-15A Eagle. It could be completed as the record breaking 'Streak Eagle' or a 58th TFTW 'Candy Cane' Eagle out of Luke AFB. I made this kit many years ago and in a fit of nostalgia bought one on eBay for literally pennies and instantly regretted doing so, it really isn't a particularly good kit. When Revell and Monogram merged the way superior former Monogram offering became the 'Revell' F-15A and this kit was quietly dropped from the catalogue. To be honest, I was going to bin it as not worth the effort howe
  10. Gosh! Yes I am sure that is what I meant The Viggen looks to be a fairly straightforward build, after all the original ESCI kits were of their time and not too complex (except one of the paint scheme options), but I have looked several times at the HobbyBoss Demon and that is WAY more complex. Could well be a double build, just see how I feel on 14th November Michael
  11. Please add me to the list too. Am thinking Italeri 1/48th JA-37 Viggen (a kit I was too scared to buy when it was ESCI!) however the 14th November start date gives me plenty of time to change my mind to something else in the stash If I go cool on the Viggen I would be looking at the McDonnell F-3H-2 Demon, the 1/48th HobbyBoss kit which I understand was operated as an interceptor, as was the F3H-2M version. Michael
  12. Sunday, rain all day, autumn is finally here. I always associate autumn with dark beers and scale modelling! Which is good because I have got a lot done today and the 'Yellow Bird' is well on the way now. Actually started yesterday by cementing the wings and tail planes to the fuselage, waited for them to dry then sanded all the seams and joins to see how they would come out. This really is a nice straightforward kit, it does go together very well. After sanding I applied a second coat of Halfords grey primer to see if I needed to break out the Perfect Plastic Putty or not...
  13. Today is the 2nd of October? Good grief! I have finally made a start on my 1/72nd Italeri 'Yellow Bird' B-57B Canberra and just concentrating on the one build, the aluminium finished 8th Bomb Squadron B-57B out of Bien Hoa AB and then Da Nang AB in 1964/65. To start with, I did apply Halfords grey primer to all the sprues, then cut off all the major items. The kit looked like this: Canberra02 by Ghostbase, on Flickr A good start today, unfortunately I have recently had the modelling mojo 'downs' quite badly so it was good to get this B-57B started. The wing assemblies
  14. Ooh a "Whale"! Definitely watching this build with interest, the A3D is one of my fave types. I do like your historical references and good to hear the relatively unknown AJ Savage getting a mention. Only one survives, at the National Naval Aviation Museum at Pensacola. Michael
  15. This really stands out for me for being such a rare type. I love the way that your build has captured the fragility of the HUK-1 wrapped around a large radial piston engine compared to the later gas turbine driven model. Michael
  • Create New...