Honda Engined Mini

Toftdale

Well I've not actually started yet, but I thought posting this would stop me procrastinating and make a start.  I'm not usually a fan of wide arches and large spoilers, however there was something about the transkit from C1 that really appealed to me, so then I decided to go the whole hog and throw in the Honda engine.   I think this will be a long term project and will probably build a few side projects along the way (against my better judgement) as and when I get stuck or confused,  which could be often.  Plus I've still got the City to finish - Andy  

p?i=da6aad77ed6ca029185ea4bdc2e0970d

• Like 16

I seem to be the first one here, so I'll claim Shotgun! It looks rather interesting. 

I'm reminded of Malory Park in the seventies. Someone ran a Ford engined Mini on the track. 

It had to have an extra cog in the box as the Ford engine ran the other way round.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

I seem to be the first one here, so I'll claim Shotgun! It looks rather interesting. 

I'm reminded of Malory Park in the seventies. Someone ran a Ford engined Mini on the track. 

It had to have an extra cog in the box as the Ford engine ran the other way round.

Would that be Peter Baldwin ? He ran Mini Special Saloon fitted with  Ford BDA ! Sadly he died a couple of weeks ago . 

Gary 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Would that be Peter Baldwin ? He ran Mini Special Saloon fitted with  Ford BDA ! Sadly he died a couple of weeks ago

That must be the one. It was always very close racing on that track, and he was up against cars with more power, but always cornered better than them!

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Windy37 said:

Would that be Peter Baldwin ? He ran Mini Special Saloon fitted with  Ford BDA ! Sadly he died a couple of weeks ago . 

Gary 

Thanks Gary, I'd been trying to remember his name - used to love the Super Saloons.

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

he was up against cars with more power, but always cornered better than them!

Typical Mini, same thing today! :)

Keith

• Like 2

Thanks @Pete in Lincs @dnl42 @Fnick @Anteater @Neddy @keefr22 @Windy37 @Marco F. @psdavidson & @RaulNanu for the interest and comments.  My intentions for the first steps are to remove the front wings and bonnet in one (done) then make some kind of jig which will allow me to remove the inner wings etc but still know where the front uprights should be.  I hope to fabricate a frame very much like the one in dnl42 posted.  The transkit came with a new set of lowered front suspension which fits perfectly,  it just a shame I won't be using them - Andy

Also whilst idly perusing the web I came across this, it might interest one or two of you

https://classicandsportscar.com/gallery/top-10-maddest-racing-minis

p?i=a0c0c16213f209c85d1833d8ac93b567

• Like 11

I think that most of them would have felt quite at home in the "Fastest Mini in the World" race at the recent Mini Festival at Brands Hatch.  There were some utterly bonkers cars, including Bill Richards' 2.0litre Ford powered spaceframe Clubman Estate.

Trevor

• Like 3

I’d forgotten Super Saloons, they were always a spectacular race when I was a kid.  I remember the VW but I just thought they were all super modified, rather than reclothed racing cars!

I look forward to seeing the build, there always seem to be some Honda conversions in the Mini mags, but I don’t think I’ve seen one in the metal…

• Like 2

I'll keep an eye on this, there were several such vehicles at the last Mini Nationals held here about 5 years ago ( probably 10 knowing my judge of past time. :( ) Interestingly they're here again this year, our Labour weekend (4th in October)

Steve.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

It's going to be kinda like the project 64 mini - but that used a 997 S as a base,

That sounds like ours at idle, similar colour too....

15 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

156 mph...

....and that's where all similarity ends...!! 🤣

Keith

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Jo NZ said:

It's going to be kinda like the project 64 mini - but that used a 997 S as a base, BMW head and a turbo. 156 mph...

Don't wish to get picky, but it was a 970S engine, not the wheezy old 997 Cooper.  The former was capable of much higher revs than the 997 and thus took maximum advantage of the better breathing of the BMW twin cam 16 valve cylinder head.

Trevor

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, klubman01 said:

Don't wish to get picky, but it was a 970S engine, not the wheezy old 997 Cooper.  The former was capable of much higher revs than the 997 and thus took maximum advantage of the better breathing of the BMW twin cam 16 valve cylinder head.

Trevor

My bad. I knew that  - putting it down to old age...

• Like 1

I've got the jig made, definitely didn't go down the form over function route.   It fairly self explanatory the base is 10mm MDF, the wood blocks on the side stop and side to side movement and the drill bits at the rear eliminate any movement front to rear.  Ive utilised existing holes in the chassis where the rear suspension attaches.   The brass tube at the front gives me the location of the front uprights.   All I have to do is slip some 3mm spacers over these to give me the correct high for the bottom of the existing lower suspension arms.  So all I've got to do now is to cut off the front inner wings, make new fire wall and build a frame to hold the Honda engine,  simples 🥴.  Thanks for looking - Andy 

p?i=cd912f914f8c13fee2841c4196978754

p?i=1e5dea4cb28720298208a4310958c636

• Like 15