P-51 Mustang STGB 5 Chat

TEMPESTMK5

10 hours ago, Geo1966 said:

Please add me to the list Patrice.

I have 2 Brit Mustangs (Airfix and Arma) ready to go.

Thanks,

George

Good evening george

Welcome aboard and see you in a few weeks for the start of this STGB at that all you will ned to do is open a thread and show us the progress of your build

Best regards 

Patrice 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi all,

I'm planning on building a P-51D-25NA for this GB. I have Eduard's 1/48 P-51K ProfiPack kit and I've also downloaded the equivalent P-51D ProfiPack kit's instructions. The 'D' kit has options up to and including the P-51D-20. So my question is: are there any visible differences between the D-20 and D-25 to be aware of?

Cheers,

Mark

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi all,

I'm planning on building a P-51D-25NA for this GB. I have Eduard's 1/48 P-51K ProfiPack kit and I've also downloaded the equivalent P-51D ProfiPack kit's instructions. The 'D' kit has options up to and including the P-51D-20. So my question is: are there any visible differences between the D-20 and D-25 to be aware of?

Cheers,

Mark

Good afternoon Mark 

According to Joebaugher 

North American P-51D/K Mustang (joebaugher.com)

"Almost all Block-25 and subsequent Ds had underwing hardpoints not only for bombs and fuel tanks but also for various types of rocket launchers. These included zero-length stubs for six 5-inch rockets or as many as ten if no drop tanks were carried. Alternatively, "Bazooka" tubes could be carried in triple clusters. There were a few field conversions to special armament fits, examples including two tanks and six 100-lb bombs, four 100-lb bombs, plus 36 fragmentation bombs, or four 75-Imp gall drop tanks. CBI aircraft usually had a direction-finding loop antenna ahead of the fin. "

I don't know the Eduard Mustang as I only build 1/72 scales kits but I Hope this will help you ...

Best regards

Patrice 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good afternoon Mark 

According to Joebaugher 

North American P-51D/K Mustang (joebaugher.com)

"Almost all Block-25 and subsequent Ds had underwing hardpoints not only for bombs and fuel tanks but also for various types of rocket launchers. These included zero-length stubs for six 5-inch rockets or as many as ten if no drop tanks were carried. Alternatively, "Bazooka" tubes could be carried in triple clusters. There were a few field conversions to special armament fits, examples including two tanks and six 100-lb bombs, four 100-lb bombs, plus 36 fragmentation bombs, or four 75-Imp gall drop tanks. CBI aircraft usually had a direction-finding loop antenna ahead of the fin. "

I don't know the Eduard Mustang as I only build 1/72 scales kits but I Hope this will help you ...

Best regards

Patrice 

Thanks, Patrice, that's very helpful! I'll have to double check with the kit's contents to see what's included.....

Cheers,

Mark

On 2/5/2024 at 1:24 PM, 2996 Victor said:

Thanks, Patrice, that's very helpful! I'll have to double check with the kit's contents to see what's included.....

Cheers,

Mark

Hi,

Ah, it's the rocket stub attachment points. I had seen the question , but I didn't know the exact answer.

One thing that I thought of for a D-25 was those ECM aerials on the vertical tail. I'm not sure if they are on every D-25 and they were sometimes retrofitted to earlier D's. Like often, a good picture of the subject would help to see if that is present. Every Eduard D has flashed over holes in the tail that you can drill out for these tiny aerials. 

Since the rocket armament is the D-25 feature, I'd say every Eduard D has a D-25 lower wing. There are20 tiny, tiny raised points that you are instructed to remove for earlier marks. This is in the instruction drawing where the aircraft is upside down and you install the intake lips G11 and G 12. These tiny things are only a representation of what the wing with provision for rocket stubs looked like without the stubs installed. If you want rocket stubs in place, you once again have to drill trough flashed over holes and attach them.

Those 20 points are so tiny that I intend to leave them on the earlier marks. I'd make bigger scratches on the plastic by removing them, than that they're visible while present.

Cheers, Stefan.   

Edited by Stefan Buysse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Stefan Buysse said:

Hi,

Ah, it's the rocket stub attachment points. I had seen the question , but I didn't know the exact answer.

One thing that I thought of for a D-25 was those ECM aerials on the vertical tail. I'm not sure if they are on every D-25 and they were sometimes retrofitted to earlier D's. Like often, a good picture of the subject would help to see if that is present. Every Eduard D has flashed over holes in the tail that you can drill out for these tiny aerials. 

Since the rocket armament is the D-25 feature, I'd say every Eduard D has a D-25 lower wing. There are20 tiny, tiny raised points that you are instructed to remove for earlier marks. This is in the instruction drawing where the aircraft is upside down and you install the intake lips G11 and G 12. These tiny things are only a representation of what the wing with provision for rocket stubs looked like without the stubs installed. If you want rocket stubs in place, you once again have to drill trough flashed over holes and attach them.

Those 20 points are so tiny that I intend to leave them on the earlier marks. I'd make bigger scratches on the plastic by removing them, than that they're visible while present.

Cheers, Stefan.   

Hi Stefan,

many thanks for the clarification! Are the raised points on the lower wing meant to represent the hardpoints for the rocket "rails" when the rails themselves aren't fitted? Sort of "covers" for the attachments? Photos I've seen of my subject only seem to show drop tanks fitted, which are obviously further inboard.

Cheers,

Mark

10 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Stefan,

many thanks for the clarification! Are the raised points on the lower wing meant to represent the hardpoints for the rocket "rails" when the rails themselves aren't fitted? Sort of "covers" for the attachments? Photos I've seen of my subject only seem to show drop tanks fitted, which are obviously further inboard.

Cheers,

Mark

Hi, Mark.

Yes, in a way. There are no "rails", these rockets just had 2 stubs. And these tiny things represent where the hardpoints are. If I wanted a rocket-equiped Mustang I wouldn't think of an ETO one, rather a late PTO one, or a Korean war one for sure.     

For your subject, the Eduard wing would be just perfect. 

Cheers, Stefan.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Stefan Buysse said:

Hi, Mark.

Yes, in a way. There are no "rails", these rockets just had 2 stubs. And these tiny things represent where the hardpoints are. If I wanted a rocket-equiped Mustang I wouldn't think of an ETO one, rather a late PTO one, or a Korean war one for sure.     

For your subject, the Eduard wing would be just perfect. 

Cheers, Stefan.

Thanks again, Stefan, that's absolutely brilliant! 

But - and there had to be a "but", didn't there? - I've been doing a bit more digging into my intended subject and appears that the decal maker got it wrong. Shock, horror! It's actually a D-20-NA, which I've now cross-referenced with Forgotten Props, Little Friends and, perhaps most importantly, Joe Baugher's Index of USAF fighters. Which probably explains why there are only drop tanks in the photos I've seen.

I think I know where I'm going now, so thanks for all your help in clarifying the wing hardpoints vs the Eduard kit, which will definitely help with this as well as a future build I have planned!

Cheers,

Mark

Bonsoir Patrice,

can you please count me in?

I have decided to build a 1/72 Academy P-51B, which I intend to finish as a Mustang III of 450 squadron RAAF, using some Xtradecal decals.

Apologies for the late decision.

Cheers.

JR

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jean said:

Bonsoir Patrice,

can you please count me in?

I have decided to build a 1/72 Academy P-51B, which I intend to finish as a Mustang III of 450 squadron RAAF, using some Xtradecal decals.

Apologies for the late decision.

Cheers.

JR

Welcome aboard Bienvenue Jean 

I think that you will enjoy building the Academy kit  see soon for the start of this STGB ..

Cheers 

Patrice  

• Thanks 1

Good evening to all

I would like to remind that this GB starts in 3 weeks it is time to prepare by choosing from the stock which kit we will build and the decoration that we will realize and by gathering documentation ...

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 5

Tempted by the re release of Airfix’s 1/24 scale superkit, I know it has its flaws but it would be a great trip down memory lane, will there be an electric motor for the prop I wonder!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening to all

I would like to remind that this GB starts in 3 weeks it is time to prepare by choosing from the stock which kit we will build and the decoration that we will realize and by gathering documentation ...

Best regards

Patrice

As I agreed to support Patrice I echo his message. There is not a lot of time now until the start :). We seem to have a great gathering of skilled builders and interesting subjects too. :)

• Like 3

Is there any chance that the hosts can send a message to all those signed up to Group Builds that the start date has arrived? As a means of reminding us to get weaving?

J

9 minutes ago, Bedders said:

Is there any chance that the hosts can send a message to all those signed up to Group Builds that the start date has arrived? As a means of reminding us to get weaving?

J

Good morning Bedders

Yes we will do that

Best regards

Patrice

On 2/16/2024 at 7:41 PM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening to all

Best regards

Patrice

Hello, Patrice.

The kit has been chosen, an Eduard P-51D in 1/48. As I have a project to build at least one fighter from every Fighter Group of the 8th AF, I'm currently working on one as well. It's my first Eduard P-51 and it's a good thing that I get some practice in.

It's not an easy kit for me. On the first attempt, I must have been too careless in the construction of the main landing gear well. The wings could not be closed up around that, even after after some sanding off some of the top of the well.

Luckily, I have some overtrees Eduard P-51's. I set the bad wing aside for a later build and tried again with rigorous cleaning up of the parts. This time the result was much better.  

Cheers, Stefan.

3 hours ago, Stefan Buysse said:

Hello, Patrice.

The kit has been chosen, an Eduard P-51D in 1/48. As I have a project to build at least one fighter from every Fighter Group of the 8th AF, I'm currently working on one as well. It's my first Eduard P-51 and it's a good thing that I get some practice in.

It's not an easy kit for me. On the first attempt, I must have been too careless in the construction of the main landing gear well. The wings could not be closed up around that, even after after some sanding off some of the top of the well.

Luckily, I have some overtrees Eduard P-51's. I set the bad wing aside for a later build and tried again with rigorous cleaning up of the parts. This time the result was much better.  

Cheers, Stefan.

Good afternoon Stefan

Very nice projetct I would like to do the same with all the Fighter Group on the European front this should keep me building Mustang for some years on ..

I don't know the 1/48 Eduard Mustang as I mostly build 1/72 scale kits but I remember that when I built my first 1/72 Eduard Spitfire I had some problems with the landing gear ..

Best of luck for the rest of your build and see you in a few weeks for the start of this STGB ..

Patrice

Hello,

Here's a question for the hosts.

I have the 1/32 nd Revell .

But there's something I always wanted to do.

That is: unpainted display model.

As this is a "type" GB and not an eara GB.

Can I build this as a "display" in the GB ?

Not that it's any easier to build.

I shall have to be very careful not to mess glue.

1765644276.jpg

Edited by Erwin
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Erwin said:

Hello,

Here's a question for the hosts.

I have the 1/32 nd Revell .

But there's something I always wanted to do.

That is: unpainted display model.

As this is a "type" GB and not an eara GB.

Can I build this as a "display" in the GB ?

Not that it's any easier to build.

I shall have to be very careful not to mess glue.

1765644276.jpg

Good morning erwin

That is a very interesting idea if you want to take part in this GB with an unpeinted display model it is fine with me ..

Have fun with you build ..

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 3

I'm very conflicted with this GB.  There are so many excellent marking schemes.  So...  I thought it would be a good idea to restrict myself to post-war aircraft. 

Well...   it turns out that's not a good idea after all.  The Mustang was sold to many different air forces after the war so there are actually far more interesting post-war schemes than there are wartime ones.  :frantic: 

I'm tending towards an aircraft based in Germany in 1946 and an ANG aircraft from the 1950s. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

The Mustang was sold to many different air forces after the war so there are actually far more interesting post-war schemes than there are wartime ones.  :frantic: 

I think you may have made a rod for your own back with that one, Enzo ;)

James

• Like 2
  • Haha 2