Jump to content

P-51 Mustang STGB 5 Chat


TEMPESTMK5

Recommended Posts

Would love to join this but there's a lot of overlap with others! I would like to build a Piper Enforcer (Halberd Models conversion) in 1/32, is that acceptable? (it's mostly a Mustang!) 

 

If not, I have a basic 1/32 Revell P-51D I could build?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/11/2023 at 22:20, Courageous said:

Bit late to the party but I'll throw in my 1/72 P-51D Mustang Unlimited Racer 'Roto Finish' by High Planes when the time comes.

 

Stuart

Good afternoon Stuart 

 Welcome aboard with your Unlimited Racer ...

 

See you in a few months for the start of this STGB ...

 

Best Regards 

Patrice  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/12/2023 at 8:35 PM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

In the P-47 GB I am building an aircraft which was used by the US occupation forces in Germany after the war.  The decal sheet has a couple of options for colourful post-war P-51s.

Very nice. The Euro Decals set? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/11/2023 at 09:20, Alan P said:

Would love to join this but there's a lot of overlap with others! I would like to build a Piper Enforcer (Halberd Models conversion) in 1/32, is that acceptable? (it's mostly a Mustang!) 

 

If not, I have a basic 1/32 Revell P-51D I could build?

Good afternoon Alan 

 I think we can accept  your Piper Enforcer in this STGB .it will be very interesting to see how much the original concept of the Mustang was developped after some years .. And you can also build the basic 1/32 Revell P51D of course or as Enzo usually says "Build them both " 😉 ...

 

Best regards 

Patrice 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh! Airfix put the P-51D/Me 262 Dogfight Double on Black Friday sale at just 15£. The Mustang has decals for one of the Bottisham Four, the E2*D. I already have the (Tamiya) E2*C on my shelf and I'd like to have them all four one day. At 17€ for the kits and 21€ for shipping, VAT included, I think it was still a bargain... and now I get the Me 262 too (it's a WW2 TWIN btw :coolio:).

The eight latest kits I've bought/pre-ordered have all been by Airfix (3*P-51, 2* Me 410, a Wildcat, a Mitchell and the Me 262), which is somewhat surprising, but very nice and tells that they have really got their act together lately 👍. Can't wait for 2024! V-P

Edit: Oh ****! E2*D is not one of the famous Bottisham Four - but a pretty plane anyway!

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 29/11/2023 at 13:59, Nanond said:

Yes! Eduard's new P-51B/C should be out by then. I'm in.

Nanond

 

17 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Lovely the Stash contains a venerable Tamiya 1/48 offering so that's me sorted!

Good morning guys 

Wellcome aboard ..

 

Patrice 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm a bit disappointed with this ⬇️

20231202_185054

On the left, the Airfix 1:72 kit molded in the old type of plastic, and the other landing gear leg is notoriously crooked again. Well, I knew enough to expect that. On the right, the same kit from the most recent boxing, molded in the new type of plastic. That gear leg looks a lot better than before, but compared to its mate in front of it, it's not straight as it should be. So the problem remains, but it's not as bad as before. That's what I'm disappointed with :weep:. Yet, it's a very nice kit otherwise, and us modelers are always ready to fix these little things :laugh:. V-P

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I'm a bit disappointed with this ⬇️

20231202_185054

On the left, the Airfix 1:72 kit molded in the old type of plastic, and the other landing gear leg is notoriously crooked again. Well, I knew enough to expect that. On the right, the same kit from the most recent boxing, molded in the new type of plastic. That gear leg looks a lot better than before, but compared to its mate in front of it, it's not straight as it should be. So the problem remains, but it's not as bad as before. That's what I'm disappointed with :weep:. Yet, it's a very nice kit otherwise, and us modelers are always ready to fix these little things :laugh:. V-P

Good evening VP

 I understand your disappointment but you can use this

https://www.scalemates.com/fr/kits/scale-aircraft-conversions-72057-p-51d-f-51d-mustang-iv-landing-gear--193003 to fix tis problem or you can build your kit with the gear up ....

See you in a few months for the start of this STGB .😉..

Best regards

Patrice

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/2/2023 at 5:03 PM, vppelt68 said:

I'm a bit disappointed with this ⬇️

20231202_185054

On the left, the Airfix 1:72 kit molded in the old type of plastic, and the other landing gear leg is notoriously crooked again. Well, I knew enough to expect that. On the right, the same kit from the most recent boxing, molded in the new type of plastic. That gear leg looks a lot better than before, but compared to its mate in front of it, it's not straight as it should be. So the problem remains, but it's not as bad as before. That's what I'm disappointed with :weep:. Yet, it's a very nice kit otherwise, and us modelers are always ready to fix these little things :laugh:. V-P

My problem with those main UC legs is that they are relatively thin and weak, and tend to turn inwards on a completed model. I had to insert an unglued piece of card between them to help keep them the correct distance apart. Whether the "harder" plastic is any better in this respect, who knows?

 

The other minor niggle is the that fuel caps on the drop tanks are "handed", both on the outside. They should both be on the left, as per the instructions and paint/decal guides.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, klr said:

The other minor niggle is the that fuel caps on the drop tanks are "handed", both on the outside. They should both be on the left, as per the instructions and paint/decal guides.

 

I have a plan to fix this! I'll mix the drop tanks from the three Airfix kits I have, plus the unused pair from an earlier "clean" build, thus I have parts for two builds with a correctly handed set up, and the third I might as well build "clean", or just replace them with Academy's 108gal reinforced paper tanks. I have four sets of those, and their 75gal tanks too ☺️

 

A big problem, though, is trying to locate those drop tanks I didn't use in the 2018 build :hmmm:

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

14 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening VP

For me there is another big problem wit the Airfix Mustang I never suceeded to cut off the stick from sprue without damaging it ...

Best Regards

Patrice

Yes that's one of the kits four five little faults!

  1. Drop tank handing
  2. Antenna mold "blob"
  3. Control stick sprue gates
  4. Crooked main gear legs
  5. Reversed tailplane hinge lines

Yet it's a very nice kit even with those little extras to fix. V-P

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning VP 

I would add  to this list the tailplanes that need to be rescribed or replaced 

 

 Rescribed North-American P-51D Mustang tailplanes, Loon Models LO72217 (scalemates.com)

 

It is a nice kit but I think that I prefer the Tamiya one until I see the forthcoming ArmaHobby kit .. ..

 

Best Regards

Patrice 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Happy New Year, Patrice.  If it’s not too late to join in, I would be grateful to participate.  I have a few Mustangs in the stash (Airfix F-51D, Academy P-51, & Accurate Miniatures A-36) that would be thankful for the opportunity to be built!  Thank you!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Always up for a Mustang - please sign me up, if I'm not too late!

I'll most likely be doing Eduard's 1/48 P-51D, in markings of a plane flying out of Martlesham Heath.

All best and happy New Year,

David

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 31/12/2023 at 16:29, Matthew1974 said:

Happy New Year, Patrice.  If it’s not too late to join in, I would be grateful to participate.  I have a few Mustangs in the stash (Airfix F-51D, Academy P-51, & Accurate Miniatures A-36) that would be thankful for the opportunity to be built!  Thank you!

Good evening Matthew 1974

Thank you very much I wish you and your family a very Happy New Year ..

Welcome aboard It is never too late to join an STGB on the Mustang ..

See you on March 9th for the start of the STGB ..

Best regards

Patrice

 

 

On 31/12/2023 at 17:48, djktrumpet said:

Always up for a Mustang - please sign me up, if I'm not too late!

I'll most likely be doing Eduard's 1/48 P-51D, in markings of a plane flying out of Martlesham Heath.

All best and happy New Year,

David

Good evening David

Thank you very much I wish you and your family a very Happy New Year ..

Welcome aboard It is never too late to join an STGB on the Mustang ..

See you on March 9th for the start of the STGB ..

Best regards

Patrice

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello, Patrice.

 

There are dozens of Mustangs that I'd like to build some day, but I hadn't announced anything for this GB yet. I don't like to make promises and then not turn up.

For this GB, I'll enter two 1/48 Eduard P-51D's in 8th AF markings. I have a project to build at least one fighter of each FG of the 8th AF.

I'm not fully sure yet which FG's I'll choose for this GB. I'm leaning towards doing one of very the famous ones (like Major Preddy's -5 of the 352nd FG) and one from a less known Group like the 339th FG. 

 

Cheers, Stefan.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Stefan Buysse said:

Hello, Patrice.

 

There are dozens of Mustangs that I'd like to build some day, but I hadn't announced anything for this GB yet. I don't like to make promises and then not turn up.

For this GB, I'll enter two 1/48 Eduard P-51D's in 8th AF markings. I have a project to build at least one fighter of each FG of the 8th AF.

I'm not fully sure yet which FG's I'll choose for this GB. I'm leaning towards doing one of very the famous ones (like Major Preddy's -5 of the 352nd FG) and one from a less known Group like the 339th FG. 

 

Cheers, Stefan.

Good morning Stefan

 That is a very interesting project , you have plenty of time to choose the subject(s) of your build(s)...

Best Regards

Patrice

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Having participated in other P-51 STGBs before, it would be rude not to join this one!

No subject decided yet but having A,B,D and H variants covered by kits from Condor, Arma, KP, Airfix, Tamiya, RS and a few decal sheets I'm sure I'll find something.. likely an MTO based aircraft if WW2 or a postwar aircraft from one of the many users of the type

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Having participated in other P-51 STGBs before, it would be rude not to join this one!

No subject decided yet but having A,B,D and H variants covered by kits from Condor, Arma, KP, Airfix, Tamiya, RS and a few decal sheets I'm sure I'll find something.. likely an MTO based aircraft if WW2 or a postwar aircraft from one of the many users of the type

Good afternoon Giorgio 

 Welcome aboard , with such a choice of Mustang variants and kits in your stash it would be rude not to have you participating in this Gb 

 

Best regards 

Patrice 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2023 at 10:36 PM, RidgeRunner said:

I have a few ANG Mustangs as possibilities :). If Arma Hobby come good it’ll be with that kit. If not I will raid the store and use a Tamiya with ArmyCast resin bits.

I got excited and started the ANG build already! So, it’ll be a Latino of some kind. Possibly FAU or FAG or a civvie that I have had waiting for a while :) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...