P-51 Mustang STGB 5 Chat

TEMPESTMK5

On 07/03/2024 at 17:44, Retired Bob said:

But not in these markings

I definitely want to do this scheme at some point, with Pyn-Up Decals' set. I just need the decals.....!

• Like 1

Just seen on Jadlam’s web site, Eduard’s price for their new P51B is between £70/80 pounds, albeit Royal edition…..Tamiya for me then!!!!

• Like 2

On 09/03/2024 at 12:37, Farmerboy said:

Just seen on Jadlam’s web site, Eduard’s price for their new P51B is between £70/80 pounds, albeit Royal edition…..Tamiya for me then!!!!

Hannants have a Profipack Mustang for £32.99, so two of them plus all the extra bits & bobs for £70 isn't too bad.  More than I paid for the P-51D Royal boxing but that's inflation for you.  :nod:

• Thanks 1

On 09/03/2024 at 12:37, Farmerboy said:

Eduard’s price for their new P51B is between £70/80 pounds, albeit Royal edition…..Tamiya for me then!!!!

Just seen on Hannants site, the Eduard Overlord kit, two P-51B Profi-pack kits, 10 decal options, pre-order for £48.15.  If you don't want all the extra bits that's in the Royal boxing it brings them down to almost the Tamiya price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have this kit in the stash, I'm not sure if Eduard are going to make the earlier Allison engined Mustangs.  I suppose I should add it to the build list before Enzo suggests it. :whistle:

IMG_2286

I've just noticed that, unlike the box art the kit paint guide has the tail flash back to front.  I have the excellent WingLeader book on the Allison engined Mustangs in RAF service.  After comparing the kit with the details in the book I need to replace the gun barrels, the kit only has the American ones with the external springs, in British service Oerlikon 20mm cannon without external springs were fitted.  The kit supplies both the birdcage and Malcolm canopies but most of the book photos only show the earlier birdcage canopy fitted, the problem with fitting the Malcolm canopy to either this or the Tamiya P-51B is lack of the rail for the canopy to slide open on.  Eduard have addressed this problem so I will use their kits for any early Mustangs with the Malcolm canopy fitted that I want to build.

Edited by Retired Bob
error
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Retired Bob said:

Just seen on Hannants site, the Eduard Overlord kit, two P-51B Profi-pack kits, 10 decal options, pre-order for £48.15.  If you don't want all the extra bits that's in the Royal boxing it brings them down to almost the Tamiya price.

Oh it’s so tempting, will have to build one or two someday, but as my build rate is slow to glacial and delivery looks to be April/May I may have to pass for this group build, got a couple of kits in the post so that will have to do.

Looking forward to see how they build up though, the decal options look terrific!!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

delivery looks to be April/May I may have to pass for this group build,

I've pre-ordered the dual kit but they won't be built during this STGB.  I have a few Tamiya P-51B kits to build first, but if you want to use the Malcolm hood option you have to make the external sliding rail yourself, Eduard have included it in their kit.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I've pre-ordered the dual kit

Me too - thank you for the heads-up! I'd like to think I could build one during this STGB but realistically? Nah! I'm just too slow :(

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

I have this kit in the stash

I've got a couple of Academy re-boxings of this kit. Ultracast do a few improvements for it - prop for instance. Also guns for the machine gun armed version.

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 1

Hi all, 

A question: Tamiya (and maybe other kit manufacturers) offer two types of spinner on the P/F-51D. One is shorter than the other. When should/could each be used? 

Thanks all,

Martin

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Hi all, 

A question: Tamiya (and maybe other kit manufacturers) offer two types of spinner on the P/F-51D. One is shorter than the other. When should/could each be used? 

Thanks all,

Martin

This is dependent on the propeller used.  The Aeroproducts prop used a slightly shorter spinner than that of the Hamilton Standard prop.  All P-51Ks were built with the Aeroproducts prop but many were retrofitted in theater with any spare H-S props units had since performance of the Aeroproducts prop wasn't quite to the same level as the H-S.  I believe H models were built with the Aeroproducts prop as well, albeit a different variant with a more paddle like shape throughout the blades.

Edited by Matt B
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

• 2 weeks later...

Has a container full of Revell 1/32 Mustangs washed up on a beach? E-bay is awash with them down to £24:50 free postage!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, stevej60 said:

Has a container full of Revell 1/32 Mustangs washed up on a beach? E-bay is awash with them down to £24:50 free postage!

Don't know about that, but I've just snaffled up three ICM 1/48 Razorback Mustangs for a smidge over a tenner each! :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Don't know about that, but I've just snaffled up three ICM 1/48 Razorback Mustangs for a smidge over a tenner each! :)

Had to give in,ordered a 1.32 revell kit.!

• Haha 2

Oh dear.....following hot on the heels of those ICM kits, Aires cockpit and wheel bay sets and a KitsWorld decal sheet featuring "Spare Parts" are all heading my way.

I think we can tell which way this is going.....

• Haha 4

Please forgive my ignorance as I am new'ish on the forum (and modeling in general); but is it still possible to join a Group Build while it's already up and running?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Seb.Ace said:

Please forgive my ignorance as I am new'ish on the forum (and modeling in general); but is it still possible to join a Group Build while it's already up and running?

Good evening Seb Ace

Of course you can join and have fun with us  "The more the merrier"

All you have to do is open a thread and show us your selected kit and post regular pictures of your ''Work in Progress'' ..

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 2

has anyone done a count/numbers of the models, as to scale and manufacturer?

Would be interesting too see which is the most popular....Tamiya 1/48? Arma-Hobby 1/72?

2 hours ago, trickyrich said:

has anyone done a count/numbers of the models, as to scale and manufacturer?

Would be interesting too see which is the most popular....Tamiya 1/48? Arma-Hobby 1/72?

Good morning Rich 

Not so far as I must admit that I'm not very interested in statistics because I work with numbers every day, but please, if you have any spare time, don't hesitate I am convinced that you will do a very good job ...

Best regards

Patrice   

15 hours ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good evening Seb Ace

Of course you can join and have fun with us  "The more the merrier"

All you have to do is open a thread and show us your selected kit and post regular pictures of your ''Work in Progress'' ..

Best regards

Patrice

That's awesome, Patrice, thanks for having me.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, GStreet said:

Hey guys, I'm interested in playing, but the rules page doesn't give the dates.  Any help welcomed.  Thanks.  

Top of the main page right below the GB name.  March 9th to June 9th.