P-51 Mustang STGB 5 Chat

TEMPESTMK5

1 hour ago, Matt B said:

Top of the main page right below the GB name.  March 9th to June 9th.

Sorry, but could you point me to the main page for this?  Sorry, but it’s really not obvious where these pages are. Newbie idiot here. 

Hi friends, I’ve never taken part in a group build ever before, but I so happen to have just started a P-51 the other day and it seems I have plenty of time to join! What should I do to be part of this?

5 hours ago, Rando said:

Hi friends, I’ve never taken part in a group build ever before, but I so happen to have just started a P-51 the other day and it seems I have plenty of time to join! What should I do to be part of this?

4 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

Hi.

I would like to participate in this P-51 GB. Is it too late to join?

Andrés.

Hi guys,

our hosts @TEMPESTMK5, @Wings unlevel and @RidgeRunner will be along soon to formally welcome you, but the general rule for GBs is that as long as your kit is less than 25% complete, it's eligible.

Just start yourself a build thread and post lots of photos as you build.

Looking forward to seeing your builds!

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

Hi.

Andrés.

Good morning Andres! It is never too late! :). As Mark has described, you can join with a partly started build provided that it isn’t more than 25% complete. That is a bit subjective so just ask us. Otherwise get going as soon as you like. Also, remember it is about the journey and not necessarily getting completed by the end of the STGB. Ideally we would like to see completed models but life doesn’t always allow for that. All that is understood :). So, welcome! It is a pleasure to see you joining up!

Martin

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Rando said:

6 hours ago, Andrés S. said:

Hi.

Andrés.

Good morning Guys

Welcome aboard

Mark perfectly answered your questions I don’t see what I can add other than have fun..

Best regards

Patrice

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Rando said:

@TEMPESTMK5 @Wings unlevel

Good morning, Rando. My apologies, I didn’t that there was two of you wanting to join the party! Everything I said to Andres equally applies to you, of course! Come along and enjoy :).

Martin

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi guys,

our hosts @TEMPESTMK5, @Wings unlevel and @RidgeRunner will be along soon to formally welcome you, but the general rule for GBs is that as long as your kit is less than 25% complete, it's eligible.

Just start yourself a build thread and post lots of photos as you build.

Looking forward to seeing your builds!

Cheers, 

2 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Good morning Andres! It is never too late! :). As Mark has described, you can join with a partly started build provided that it isn’t more than 25% complete. That is a bit subjective so just ask us. Otherwise get going as soon as you like. Also, remember it is about the journey and not necessarily getting completed by the end of the STGB. Ideally we would like to see completed models but life doesn’t always allow for that. All that is understood :). So, welcome! It is a pleasure to see you joining up!

Martin

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Guys

Welcome aboard

Mark perfectly answered your questions I don’t see what I can add other than have fun..

Best regards

Patrice

Good morning guys.

Thank you very much for the acceptance and welcome.

I have a P-51B/C from Arma Hobby with all its parts intact. The difficult thing will be choosing which paint option to choose. The Mustang is beautiful with any paint !!  😄

Cheers.

Andrés.

• Like 4

Thank you all for the warm welcome, I’m very excited to participate! I am building an AM P-51 with a resin Allison engine. I just started the kit(s) which involves freeing the resin parts from their castings and cutting shaving away parts from the fuselage and wings. As soon as I figure out how to photo host here on Britmodeller I’ll start a build thread!

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Rando said:

As soon as I figure out how to photo host here on Britmodeller I’ll start a build thread!

There’s a thread in the FAQ section with lots of advice, but essentially you need to use an image hosting platform. Flickr is a popular, and easy, option, well explained here by Flyboy2610:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Rando said:

Thank you all for the warm welcome, I’m very excited to participate! I am building an AM P-51 with a resin Allison engine. I just started the kit(s) which involves freeing the resin parts from their castings and cutting shaving away parts from the fuselage and wings. As soon as I figure out how to photo host here on Britmodeller I’ll start a build thread!

Its easy, mate. If you use Flickr you simply copy the URL of the image and paste it in to your post. :) I keep my model related images in an album and then use the URL of the image from that. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Its easy, mate. If you use Flickr you simply copy the URL of the image and paste it in to your post. :) I keep my model related images in an album and then use the URL of the image from that. 

Thanks RidgeRunner! Actually it occurred to me that I already use Scalemates to log my builds, so I figured out how to directly link photos from there. Build log for my P-51 is now started:

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question that has always pondered me, is the canopy on the 2012 1/72 airfix kit wrong? It looks too shallow and narrow compared to my deicast one or have kits/diecast's in the past got it wrong? edit: got my tamiya out and it agrees with airfix so looks like my diecasts wrong :(

Edited by PhantomBigStu

Hi guys.

I have read that some of the modelers in this GB have removed panel lines (and I suppose also any rivets or screws in the area) from the wings of their P-51s. It's something I never heard or read about, except that the wings were painted and not natural metal.
However, I have not been able to find detailed information about it. I intend to rivet my P-51 in this GB and of course for reference I have some drawings of the plane showing the panel lines and rivet lines of both the fuselage and the wings.

Can anyone advise which panel lines and rivets/screws I should remove? I can't find anything about it that helps me, because it seems that not all the lines or screws or rivets should be eliminated, but rather a part.

53665826862_036d0c7f24_o.jpg

53667050904_c5cc9bcbb4_o.jpg

53667157925_8627674c2d_o.jpg

Andrés.

Edited by Andrés S.

4 minutes ago, Sanjuro said:

Hi Andres,

i used the informations in this thread for my P-51D --->  P-51D wings issue

This picture sums it up nicely ---> "panel lines"

hth

Andreas

Thank you very much Sanjuro, it's just what I needed.

Speed and effectiveness, what more could you ask for!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

Andrés.

According to my information, the camouflaged wings have also been filled/puttied.

P-51B - wikimedia

But i know a picture where you could clearly see the rivets on the wing.

I just can*t find it. It was a somewhat well known P-51B .....

However, the wings of the P-51 were painted in any case (as far as I know).

Either olive drab or with an aluminium coloured paint.

There are pictures where you can see the puttied panel lines "bleeding" through the

aluminium coloured paint.

It's a nice touch to the model if you replicate this effect.

Maybe someone with more insight can help with more information.

Andreas

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Sanjuro said:

But i know a picture where you could clearly see the rivets on the wing.

I just can*t find it. It was a somewhat well known P-51B .....

If I remember correctly, having seen it yesterday, the well-known P-51B that you mention was in a photo of Don Gentile's Sangri La.

Andrés.

• Like 1