P-51 Mustang STGB 5 Chat

TEMPESTMK5

On 23/02/2024 at 20:42, franky boy said:

I completely agree with what you’re all saying about there being a lot of very interesting Mustang subjects post war. So to that end I’m pretty sure that I’ll be building a Korean War F-51 or RF-51 loaded up with rockets and bombs. 

Will you be building the Tamiya F-51 kit?  It was found that there were a lot of undercarriage collapses because of all the ground attack weapons carried and the rough airstrips they were operating from. To prevent this the u/c mounting in the wings was strengthened, Tamiya represent this with the raised rivet heads around the u/c mounting area which is great for Korean era models but is wrong for WW2 as Tamiya don't tell you to remove them.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Will you be building the Tamiya F-51 kit?  It was found that there were a lot of undercarriage collapses because of all the ground attack weapons carried and the rough airstrips they were operating from. To prevent this the u/c mounting in the wings was strengthened, Tamiya represent this with the raised rivet heads around the u/c mounting area which is great for Korean era models but is wrong for WW2 as Tamiya don't tell you to remove them.

Thanks for the info Bob, that’s interesting, I had no idea of that. 

I’ll be building the Eduard kit. I have the Korean War dual combo boxing and also the BFC release of the F-6D kit which has extra decal options, one of which is an RF-51 from Korea. Decision pending but I’ll check to see if I need to scribe in an extra plate or add some rows of rivets if the kit doesn’t have them. 

Will you be joining in?

Thanks

James

• Like 4

3 hours ago, franky boy said:

Will you be joining in?

Well James, I feel it would be rude not to since I have quite a few kits to choose from.  There are several of the Eduard kits I could build or to be different I have P-51's by Tamiya, Hasegawa, Accurate Miniatures or the oddball Meng kit, or even the old Otaki offering that has been in the stash for around 50 years. (It cost £3.75 when it was released)  Decisions, decisions. :hmmm:

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Well James, I feel it would be rude not to since I have quite a few kits to choose from.  There are several of the Eduard kits I could build or to be different I have P-51's by Tamiya, Hasegawa, Accurate Miniatures or the oddball Meng kit, or even the old Otaki offering that has been in the stash for around 50 years. (It cost £3.75 when it was released)  Decisions, decisions. :hmmm:

If you want my opinion...  :wicked: 

• Haha 7

35 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

It would be rude not too. You could go Eduard and get carried away again the same as the 190 STGB last year!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

If you want my opinion...  :wicked: 

I bet I know what that would be...see below. 👇

19 minutes ago, franky boy said:

It would be rude not too. You could go Eduard and get carried away again the same as the 190 STGB last year!

I've learnt from that GB that it's too easy to get carried away and get bogged down with too much to do. :facepalm:

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I bet I know what that would be...see below. 👇

I've learnt from that GB that it's too easy to get carried away and get bogged down with too much to do. :facepalm:

Awwww...  :sad: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Awwww...  :sad: 

I'm joining the Tiger STGB with a King Tiger and a Hunting Tiger so just trying to be realistic but would still like to take part.

Your earlier question about P-51D-5 and the fin fillet, Eduards first Mustang boxing, P-51D-5 Chattanooga Choo Choo, contained 6 decal options and all had the fillet 

• Like 2

This kit boxing https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/2/8/0/1196280-97-instructions.pdf uses both fin fillet options. V-P

EDIT: Also found this feature well worth reading to the end! Luckily, as a 1:72 scaler, I'm free of all that need of attention to details :giggle:

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2022/09/in-boxed-p-51d-mustang-red-tails-co.html

...and that's very much true with the canopies too!

http://www.gaetanmarie.com/p-51dk-mustang-canopy-variations/

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

This kit boxing https://www.scalemates.com/products/img/2/8/0/1196280-97-instructions.pdf uses both fin fillet options. V-P

EDIT: Also found this feature well worth reading to the end! Luckily, as a 1:72 scaler, I'm free of all that need of attention to details :giggle:

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2022/09/in-boxed-p-51d-mustang-red-tails-co.html

...and that's very much true with the canopies too!

http://www.gaetanmarie.com/p-51dk-mustang-canopy-variations/

Thanks for those links, they're very interesting and I've created shortcuts for future reference. Those decals are a bit of a concern.....

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Those decals are a bit of a concern.....

Thanks for those links.  The last 1/48th Eduard Mustang kit that I bought was purely for the decals, it was the Mighty Eighth, 66th Fighter Wing kit.  It contained ten options of sqn markings and some resin upgrades for wheels and exhausts.  I've just checked the kit decals and there isn't any problem with the carrier film lifting off and damaging the decals I'm glad to say.

I liked the comparison build that @Farmerboydid, building three different 1/48th kits.  Has he found it a rather daunting task tackling three different manufacturers kits at once I will try just two, not so much as comparison builds but using spare and resin improvement parts see how different an Eduard and the old Hasegawa P-51's look with over 2 decades of kit manufacturing changes. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, vppelt68 said:

So, it looks like we ARE indeed there already :thumbsup:

A week to finish two Me 410:s...

nodnodnod   I really need to stop faffing around and get all my twins finished.  It doesn't help that I keep starting new ones...  :banghead: 

• Haha 3

Good evening my friends

Well I would like to remember everybody that we have to wait a few days to start building but we can open a post to present the subject/s and the kit/s we are about to build ..

Best regards

Patrice  

• Like 3

Hi Patrice @TEMPESTMK5.   How many models will you build in this groupbuild?   I looked at the previous Mustang GBs in the Completed GBs area (one of which you hosted) and it seems that you could have done a whole GB all on your own!  :) 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Hi Patrice @TEMPESTMK5.   How many models will you build in this groupbuild?   I looked at the previous Mustang GBs in the Completed GBs area (one of which you hosted) and it seems that you could have done a whole GB all on your own!  :) 

Indeed, how many did Patrice do?

40 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

but we can open a post to present the subject/s and the kit/s we are about to build

Thanks, Patrice, I'll get my thread opened over the weekend. If I can decide which one to build! And no, Enzo, I can't do that ;)

Cheers, 

Mark 

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I'd call that leading by example.

Said by our modest group builder, or was it group build moderator, that has 17 builds going on, himself :thumbsup:

• Like 1