Golden age of transport from 1918 to 1939 - Chat

On 3/12/2024 at 8:43 PM, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again...   spreadsheet!  :smartass: 

Not sure about that, but it always seems like suddenly I'm sending everything down to the printshop on the same day regardless of when I started them.  So there must be some sort of method to my madness...

On 3/12/2024 at 10:55 PM, Courageous said:

it was owned by Alaska Air Transport Inc and sold to Alaska Coastal Airlines in 1942.

That's a beauty!  I may look and see if Alaska Coastal had any Ford Tri-motors in the air...

And...speaking of which, I am not going to the mainland this weekend after all.  That means the Ford goes onto the bench Sunday morning.  That'll be 5 builds at once folks.  It feels like deja-vu all over again...

--John

• Like 3

I will participate with one of these beauties:

53589854800_1ac001ee86_c.jpg

One is barely started (wing glued) but I may go with the new box. It will be (almost) OOB. Blue or silver, this is the main question - unless I'll try to complicate things looking for the colours of G-AEPJ.

Carlos

• Like 9

Although my GB activity during 2024 has been somewhat slow, with one not started and two stalled. I have been looking for suitable subjects for this GB what .would fit into my WW2 era project which includes a lot of railway modelling and use of none injection moulded materials.

As the 1930's were the golden age of design for London Transport my thoughts went towards the Charles Holden designed buildings of the time. During my research I found this

53589865305_781ba37c68.jpg

which is Gants Hill station construction site,  just pre-war which would make an interesting diorama.

However I do have a couple of ideas of how to progress to a formal offering and hope to have something to add to the GB prior to the start date,

Hint see https://www.lttractiongroup.co.uk/downloads.html

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Paul821 said:

As the 1930's were the golden age of design for London Transport

I'd broaden it out to architecture full top- Lutyens &co I've got a card model of the original Schipol terminal building of the era and in a week's time and off to wallow in Art Deco splendour at the Midland Hotel, Morecambe; so both transport links but they don't move so they're not in. And in any case I've really got too much on my plate already.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CarLos said:

I will participate with one of these beauties:

53589854800_1ac001ee86_c.jpg

One is barely started (wing glued) but I may go with the new box. It will be (almost) OOB. Blue or silver, this is the main question - unless I'll try to complicate things looking for the colours of G-AEPJ.

Carlos

Hello Carlos please start a thread and get yourself set. 

2 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Although my GB activity during 2024 has been somewhat slow, with one not started and two stalled. I have been looking for suitable subjects for this GB what .would fit into my WW2 era project which includes a lot of railway modelling and use of none injection moulded materials.

As the 1930's were the golden age of design for London Transport my thoughts went towards the Charles Holden designed buildings of the time. During my research I found this

53589865305_781ba37c68.jpg

which is Gants Hill station construction site,  just pre-war which would make an interesting diorama.

However I do have a couple of ideas of how to progress to a formal offering and hope to have something to add to the GB prior to the start date,

Hint see https://www.lttractiongroup.co.uk/downloads.html

Welcome Paul … Looks to be an interesting choice. 

2 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

I'd broaden it out to architecture full top- Lutyens &co I've got a card model of the original Schipol terminal building of the era and in a week's time and off to wallow in Art Deco splendour at the Midland Hotel, Morecambe; so both transport links but they don't move so they're not in. And in any case I've really got too much on my plate already.

As much as I love art deco design’s, Id have to start a new build for structures of history.

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

Anyone have this vintage decal sheet they want to get rid of?

53588735962_f5b08327e2_b_d.jpg

A Texaco TriMotor would go along very well with my Fokker DVII 

--John

John could you get someone to print the decals for you ?  Im sure it wouldn't cost a whole lot of $£€. 

59 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

John could you get someone to print the decals for you ?  Im sure it wouldn't cost a whole lot of $£€. 

I’ve asked Mika at Arctic Decals if he  can help.  If so, I’ll build something else in the meantime. ☺️👍🏻

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Paul821 said:

Although my intention is to continue with plan A things have moved on. I was at the Bury St Edmunds Model Railway show today and saw these on their club sales stand.

53591514849_eec10e9e53_n.jpg

Designed in the late 1920's and mainly built in the 1930's, at £5 each they called out to be purchased as an entry in this GB. More details in the build thread when I establish it. I know @Enzo the Magnificent is also entering a couple of trams one of which is a Feltham,  so I hope he does not mind me adding these two.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Paul821 said:

Although my intention is to continue with plan A things have moved on. I was at the Bury St Edmunds Model Railway show today and saw these on their club sales stand.

53591514849_eec10e9e53_n.jpg

Designed in the late 1920's and mainly built in the 1930's, at £5 each they called out to be purchased as an entry in this GB. More details in the build thread when I establish it. I know @Enzo the Magnificent is also entering a couple of trams one of which is a Feltham,  so I hope he does not mind me adding these two.

You certainly couldn't leave them for a fiver each ! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paul821 said:

I know @Enzo the Magnificent is also entering a couple of trams one of which is a Feltham,  so I hope he does not mind me adding these two.

Mind it?   I strongly encourage it!  :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, Pig of the Week said:

You certainly couldn't leave them for a fiver each ! 

nodnodnod   That would have just been rude.  :) 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Paul821 said:

..at £5 each they called out to be purchased as an entry in this GB.

That's otherwise known as 'giving them a loving home' ;)

• Like 2

Hi golden-agers,

I offered Dennis @Corsairfoxfouruncle the banner that I created for my thread for use as a common groupbuild banner. He chose this design:

53592769417_d184cc1612_n.jpg

Here are a few alternatives that you can adjust to your needs if you'd like to display your model within it for instance. I hope you like them, Michael

53593845653_72d67cb34f_n.jpg

53593963499_b0ed9eea5c_n.jpg

53593963454_cb43923288_n.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Annoyingly I can't seem to find my planned build for this one, so here's a couple of alternative options 

20240319_184602

20240319_184624

Either of these any good ?

Cheers Pat

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, JOCKNEY said:

Annoyingly I can't seem to find my planned build for this one, so here's a couple of alternative options 

20240319_184602

20240319_184624

Either of these any good ?

Cheers Pat

The Tiger-Moth’s first flight was October 26th 1931 and the Fieseler’s would be a first flight in 1933. Yep both qualify for the build Pat. However I know you and would go out on a limb to say the Fieseler is definitely more your style. 

Dennis

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

The Tiger-Moth’s first flight was October 26th 1931 and the Fieseler’s would be a first flight in 1933. Yep both qualify for the build Pat. However I know you and would go out on a limb to say the Fieseler is definitely more your style. 

Dennis

Cheers Dennis

Yes it will be the Fieseler, I wouldn't want to disappoint people ! :wink:

Cheers Pat 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Only seven more sleeps to go!  :thumbsup:

:yahoo: :bounce:

Erm, hold up a moment, how many sleeps? :hmmm:

Edited by Col.
Checking Enzo's maths
  • Like 1

As my other build is proving more complex I am putting to one side and pulling down my DH88 Comet for a go.  I have even bought paint - gosh !  I might get started and even finished !!!!!

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, JohnT said:

As my other build is proving more complex I am putting to one side and pulling down my DH88 Comet for a go.  I have even bought paint - gosh !  I might get started and even finished !!!!!

Sounds like an ideal choice. I’ve always wanted to do the black painted plane.