Golden age of transport from 1918 to 1939 - Chat

1 hour ago, Robert Stuart said:

think I saw a Heller Bently on the shelf next to that Bugatti, if so, it'd be 1/24

Of which I have one in the stash. I don't think it will make this GB though. I have some buses instead

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Whirly said:

Hi, would this kit from ICM qualify? It is tagged '1939 production' on the box, so just borderline, therefore I'm asking 😉

2048_rn.jpg

You're all good it was produced from 1934 - 1939. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mercedes-Benz_W31

I've added you to the list.  

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I found these four qualifying kits in my stash. They were all bought with the intention of painting them as aircraft in Spain. Building two of them should be achievable. I very much want to build the Northrop Delta 1. For the other I'm not so sure. I like the Junkers W34, but it seems very difficult to complete. I like the Messerschmitt Taifun, but the kit seems extremely crude. I really don't care much for the Lockheed Vega, but it is probably the nicer kit.

spacer.png

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Quailane said:

I found these four qualifying kits in my stash. They were all bought with the intention of painting them as aircraft in Spain. Building two of them should be achievable. I very much want to build the Northrop Delta 1. For the other I'm not so sure. I like the Junkers W34, but it seems very difficult to complete. I like the Messerschmitt Taifun, but the kit seems extremely crude. I really don't care much for the Lockheed Vega, but it is probably the nicer kit.

spacer.png

All of them would make great choices. If it were my two picks, I think the Delta and Vega but this is your choice to make. Remember the build is more about enjoying the process of building and not necessarily finishing. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

All of them would make great choices. If it were my two picks, I think the Delta and Vega but this is your choice to make. Remember the build is more about enjoying the process of building and not necessarily finishing. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I decided to give the Vega another look. I was originally put off by the yellow and blue box art scheme, as well as no photo references or even serial number for the single Vega sent to Spain. I took a look at the kit again, and it includes a beautiful all-white civilian scheme. Learning that Jack Northrop was the lead designer of the Lockheed Vega as well as Northrop Delta sealed the deal. I'd prefer to make the Lockheed Vega "Lady Lindy" flown by Amelia Earhart and re-released by Special Hobby a couple of years ago, but this is what I have. Anyway, I'm excited for the the Vega now.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

A little more than two weeks to go.  This is exciting.  :bounce:

I have most of the components for my Mallard build sorted.   I just need some minor details and decals, but they can be obtained during the build.  It's going to be a total Frankenstein build...  :)  

• Like 1

Hello one and all…  @Marklo

@JOCKNEY,@fightersweep
@TonyW
 @Wez

@Redstaff

@Bertie McBoatface

@2996 Victor

@nimrod54

@dnl42

@galgos

@Trevor L

@alt-92

@Pin

@Robert Stuart

@Old Man

@Ngantek

@TEMPESTMK5
@John Masters
 @CliffB

@Toryu

@Ray S
 @Bobby No Mac

@zebra
@vppelt68

@Mjwomack

@Col.

@TimJ

@Jb65rams
@LorenSharp

@malpaso

@psdavidson

@Colin W

@JosephLalor

@AdrianMF

@stevej60

@marvinneko

@Cammer625

@klr

@Whirly

@Quailane

We’re due to start the build in just over two weeks. I thought I should give you a heads up so you can get your builds set to go. Im looking forward to all the interesting and varied choices. I myself will be building only my second ship in 32 years. I will be building Trumpeter’s 1/700 HMS Hood as she sat in 1931. 

Dennis

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, marvinneko said:

If I read the rules correctly, built, designed or used in the era-- so a 1930s plane in WWII livery is ok?

Interesting I had not thought of this eventuality ? I think as long as the aircraft was designed and or built in the dates listed. What aircraft were you thinking of ? I believe it can have a pass if its anything reasonable ? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Interesting I had not thought of this eventuality ? I think as long as the aircraft was designed and or built in the dates listed. What aircraft were you thinking of ? I believe it can have a pass if its anything reasonable ? 

I have a norseman, goblin and goeland. I'm not sure which I will do. The norseman is a classic canadian 30s plane but I want it for its use at a ww2 wireless operator training school. The Goblin was a 30s US navy plane but was Canada's earliest coastal defence deployed in 1940 (a bit of a joke but we had no other option apparently). The goeland is a 30s french transport plane but I have prepped for the polish training livery.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

We’re due to start the build in just over two weeks. I thought I should give you a heads up so you can get your builds set to go. Im looking forward to all the interesting and varied choices. I myself will be building only my second ship in 32 years. I will be building Trumpeter’s 1/700 HMS Hood as she sat in 1931. 

I'm off in an RV adventure for the eclipse at the end of the month, so this needs to wait.

I'm still hopeful I'll finish my Widgeon in the Twins GB before we leave.

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Interesting I had not thought of this eventuality ? I think as long as the aircraft was designed and or built in the dates listed. 

C-48. Best. Aircraft. Ever.

• Like 2

Good morning Dennis 

I am sorry I know had signed for this Gb but due to hosting the Mustang STGB 5 and all the real life things such as work , family etc ...I don't think that I will be able to take part .. I wish you and all the participants a very good GB ..

Have fun 

Best regards 

Patrcie 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

44 minutes ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning Dennis 

I am sorry I know had signed for this Gb but due to hosting the Mustang STGB 5 and all the real life things such as work , family etc ...I don't think that I will be able to take part .. I wish you and all the participants a very good GB ..

Have fun 

Best regards 

Patrcie 

No worries Patrice I know you're busy. Please stop by and check the builds out though if you can. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

We’re due to start the build in just over two weeks.

Yikes!!! That's another one coming round far quicker than I realised. But it just so happens that I was fondling what might be the most boring box ever last night.  Seriously, it's just a plain cardboard box with a white label on it...

20231202-100527.jpg 

Better go and start practicing how to paint teak I guess

• Like 3

The GB's are starting to stack up now, I'm struggling to keep up.

The Twins and FROG GB's have got entries from me running, the Baby Boomer GB is waiting on me joining in and now this one is on the horizon! There's never a dull moment on Britmodeller!

My Short Mayo composite is ready and waiting. :D 

• Like 3

Hi Dennis

Hopefully I'll still be good, but with one thing and another my modelling time has been really limited up to yet this year with other commitments

I think in total I've managed 3 or 4 evenings at the bench up to yet at this point and making very slow progress on an MP4/4 presently, which I need to finish first (I can't have more than 1 model on the go at a time, I've tried before and it really highlights my lack of multi tasking skills) 🤣 

We could end up with F1 slicks on a post WW1 truck, hmm now that's an idea 🤔

I should be along at some point, but probably not at the start :)

Ian :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm good to go with the Dora Wings Caudron Simon, will be away a bit over the next few weeks though so probably won't be able to start until mid-April.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Colin W said:

Got my 1st one lined up!

IMG_20240307_105244891

Nice subject choice Colin :speak_cool:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Redstaff said:

Hi Dennis

Hopefully I'll still be good, but with one thing and another my modelling time has been really limited up to yet this year with other commitments

I think in total I've managed 3 or 4 evenings at the bench up to yet at this point and making very slow progress on an MP4/4 presently, which I need to finish first (I can't have more than 1 model on the go at a time, I've tried before and it really highlights my lack of multi tasking skills) 🤣 

We could end up with F1 slicks on a post WW1 truck, hmm now that's an idea 🤔

I should be along at some point, but probably not at the start :)

Ian :) 

Take your time, Id rather you enjoy the hobby than rush and not enjoy it. 

7 hours ago, Colin W said:

Got my 1st one lined up!

IMG_20240307_105244891

Nice choice, I haven't seen that boxing of the kit. Heck I haven't seen a Testors boxing of anything in 25+ years. 

10 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Yikes!!! That's another one coming round far quicker than I realised. But it just so happens that I was fondling what might be the most boring box ever last night.  Seriously, it's just a plain cardboard box with a white label on it...

20231202-100527.jpg 

Better go and start practicing how to paint teak I guess

Teak is something I will need for my hood build I suspect. 

• Like 1