Jump to content

Golden age of transport from 1918 to 1939 - Chat


Recommended Posts

On 11/10/2023 at 2:23 PM, Old Man said:

 

It's arrived, Uncle.

 

Does seem better than build accounts suggest, but still lots of prep-work indicated. Ribbing is actually quite decent, for its day. Tail is twisted, wings are bowed. Plastic looks hard to work with.

 

Hope to be doing it with company.

 

 

James

Ive only seen the kit built once at a show but it can turn out a nice looking build of an extremely rare subject. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulations ‘Golden Age’ folks. Will probably not join this group-build but am looking forward to watching from the sidelines. Am hoping for lots of colour and lots of rarely-modelled subject matter. 👍

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Enzo the Magnificent changed the title to Golden age of transport from 1918 to 1939 - 23 Mar to 14 Jul 2024
1 hour ago, Col. said:

:yahoo:

Glad that this one is through and on the 2024 calendar @Corsairfoxfouruncle :)

Thank You.. Should dovetail nicely into the baby boomers group build. So we will cover pretty much everything from 11/11/1918 through to the end of 1964. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The kick of is months away yet but I've sorted out my main contribution to the GB. 😁

It's a part started 1.72 vac form model of the Short Mayo Composite. It's been on my build agenda for donkeys years and this GB is the perfect place to do something about that.

 

IMG-20231115-120321.jpg

 

Most of the parts are trimmed from the backing sheets and there's a bit of basic assembly to re-do. Roll on March!

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TonyW said:

The kick of is months away yet but I've sorted out my main contribution to the GB. 😁

It's a part started 1.72 vac form model of the Short Mayo Composite. It's been on my build agenda for donkeys years and this GB is the perfect place to do something about that.

 

IMG-20231115-120321.jpg

 

Most of the parts are trimmed from the backing sheets and there's a bit of basic assembly to re-do. Roll on March!

Excellent choice.. looking forward to this build as it covers so many options. From planes to airships, along with cars and trucks, and locomotives to ships. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

locomotives

 

Indeed.   Although it is most unlikely that I will be building the DJH Claughton for this GB, I am researching what it would take to convert the Dapol/Kitmaster Schools class loco to a Lord Nelson. 

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR_V_class

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR_Lord_Nelson_class

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

 

Indeed.   Although it is most unlikely that I will be building the DJH Claughton for this GB, I am researching what it would take to convert the Dapol/Kitmaster Schools class loco to a Lord Nelson. 

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR_V_class

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SR_Lord_Nelson_class

Both are good looking machines and the speedsters of their day no doubt. It was pointed out to me more than a few year's ago. Ever since ancient times man has tried to race. Starting with animal's and then ships we moved on to locomotive's to set speed record's. Nowadays we have aircraft, cars, power boats. Eventually I think we’ll get either near space or even spacecraft that will move faster and faster. So I think a locomotive of this period would have been quite the fast mover of its day. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

So I think a locomotive of this period would have been quite the fast mover of its day. 

 

Here is the one that was, and still is, the fastest steam locomotive.

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Class_A4_4468_Mallard

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Beautiful 

 

I have realised that I have an A4 bodyshell in the scrap box.  Would it be acceptable to build a static model of Mallard from scrap and spare parts?  It's not exactly a kit...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

 

I have realised that I have an A4 bodyshell in the scrap box.  Would it be acceptable to build a static model of Mallard from scrap and spare parts?  It's not exactly a kit...

Yes of course, scratch-building is what are hobby really is as most times you cant get exactly what you need. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Yes of course, scratch-building is what are hobby really is as most times you cant get exactly what you need. 

 

Well, it's not exactly scratch building either.   It's a lot of mismatched spare parts and scrap chucked together. :D 

 

But this is an exciting project.   I wonder how it will compare with my RTR A4 model.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi, Just looking at spreading builds across next year and wondered, although the box says 1917, would the Revell Model T Ambulance qualify for this GB as they ran past that year :wonder:

 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03285-model-t-1917-ambulance--1254884

 

If not, I'll go with this one. San Francisco trams definitely ran during this time :smile:

 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/testors-no517-san-francisco-cable-car--995838

 

Or maybe both if the Model T is OK!! :laugh:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

Hi, Just looking at spreading builds across next year and wondered, although the box says 1917, would the Revell Model T Ambulance qualify for this GB as they ran past that year :wonder:

 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/revell-03285-model-t-1917-ambulance--1254884

 

If not, I'll go with this one. San Francisco trams definitely ran during this time :smile:

 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/testors-no517-san-francisco-cable-car--995838

 

Or maybe both if the Model T is OK!! :laugh:


Either would be acceptable and to answer your first question I retrieved the answer from the basic layout of the build. 
 

“This would cover anything transport (vehicles, trains, ships, and aircraft) related. Starting from 12 November 1918, 24 hours after the Armistice went into effect. It will end 24 hours prior to September 1st 1939. Any mode of transport used, designed, or operated in this time frame. This would include World War One transportation or aircraft still being used in this timeframe. Also includes anything that was into the advanced testing phase or in use as of August of 1939.”

 

Please bring on either or both. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:


Either would be acceptable and to answer your first question I retrieved the answer from the basic layout of the build. 
 

“This would cover anything transport (vehicles, trains, ships, and aircraft) related. Starting from 12 November 1918, 24 hours after the Armistice went into effect. It will end 24 hours prior to September 1st 1939. Any mode of transport used, designed, or operated in this time frame. This would include World War One transportation or aircraft still being used in this timeframe. Also includes anything that was into the advanced testing phase or in use as of August of 1939.”

 

Please bring on either or both. 

 

Wonderful  :thanks:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Golden age/ teak carriage...

 

20231202-100527.jpg 

 

It arrived today (yeah), yes I know it's a pine table but you can't have everything. And possibly the most low key box possible, but oh the detail and quality of the parts in there. Now to attempt a teak finish- I'l be doing a 'preserved' one as in service they got filthy which seems a shocking way to treat teak.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's my choice.  I am going to build a static model of LNER A4 4468 Mallard as it was on 3 July 1938, the day it set an all time speed record for steam locomotives.

 

I will use various bits from the scrap and spares box.  The bodyshell shown here is from a Hornby model representing Mallard as it was in post-war form with the valences removed.   To represent it in record setting form I will have to scratch build some valences and remove the plaque on the boiler side.  I will aso need to remove the numberplate on the smokebox front.  Luckily the bodyshell actually represents Mallard well, so I don't have to worry about fitting a double chimney.

 

I believe the loco chassis is from an A3 model.   It certainly doesn't fit the A4 bodyshell (at the moment).   So there will be a reasonable amount of work to build this up.

 

spacer.png

 

 

There will be a fair amount of work required on the tender.  The bodyshell I have is for a corridor tender which was only fitted post-war.  On the day, Mallard had a non-corridor tender so I'll have to remove the connector and modify the water tank decking.  I'll probably get rid of the moulded coal load at the same time. 

 

spacer.png

 

Here's a new dimension in modelling.  I can use some aniseed food flavouring to make the model smell like Mallard did at the end of its record setting run.   :lol: 

  • Like 5
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JohnT said:

I picked up a sort of cheapish Marsh Models DH 88.  Does that qualify as a golden age transport or is it more record breaker @Enzo the Magnificent ?  

 

I'm going to hand off that question to @Corsairfoxfouruncle, as it's his GB.  :)  

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...