Seafire XVII - Sword 1/72 - 736NAS

Shockingly I think this is my first completed Spitfire family kit in the 45 odd years since I started building kits!! This is from the Sword family of Seafire kits, and I think the XVII is the best looking mark of the Seafires, particularly in this colour scheme. 

52432149178_0aec172997_b.jpgSeafire 

52432085800_3fd31558aa_b.jpgSeafire

One tip I picked up from this site is to insert the cockpit after the fuselage halves are joined - it can be inserted from below. Much easier to get it to fit that way. Make sure to do this before attaching the wings 😃.  

52432148403_3d90ab03c7_b.jpgSeafire

Otherwise this was a relatively straghtforward build - paints used were Gunze Aqueous Sky and Xtracrylix XDSG with decals coming from the Freighdog Brits At Sea II sheet.

Pat

52431905774_2519c10eb9_b.jpgSeafire

52431906109_cd94cbe71e_b.jpgSeafire 

• Like 65
  • Thanks 1

Lovely job, I really like how you've kept the weathering very understated, just enough to make it look real and allow the detail to pop.

I agree, the xvii in EDSG over sky is one of the most attractive marks. Somehow even more 'slender' than I expect, if that's the tooling or my perception, but all the better for it.

How was the kit? The mark III is hard to find these days so have been wondering if the 5 kit boxing is worth it... but given I oddly find the XV one of the uglier spits, despite the outline basically being a xvii with the high back (and the 5 box has two of them), I'm not so sure. 

Andy

• Like 1

Very nice - one of my favourite marks of Spitfire/Seafire. I do think that's the best scheme for it. I have one that's near to the fuselage-joining phase (the wings are done). That's an interesting point about the cockpit - I'll have to remember that. It's also interesting that the Mk.XVII had no true Spitfire counterpart. I suppose the closest you could get would be a Mk.XII with a bubble canopy, but that didn't exist. Ngantek, I have the 5-kit box, and I was just admiring it last night. If you don't like the Mk.XV, maybe this boxing isn't for you, but I'm glad I bought the set. If nothing else, it is an absolute gold mine for extra parts for the parts box! Someday I'm going to build a FrankenSpitfire from all the Spitfire parts I've collected over the years.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2022 at 1:33 PM, Ngantek said:

How was the kit? The mark III is hard to find these days so have been wondering if the 5 kit boxing is worth it... but given I oddly find the XV one of the uglier spits, despite the outline basically being a xvii with the high back (and the 5 box has two of them), I'm not so sure. 

This was from the 5 kit boxing which I was unable to resist buying 😁. I know what you mean about the Mk XV !! It went together fine and didn’t put me off building the others in the box although am currently doing a Jays Mk47 which is a little more tricky. 

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Pat C said:

This was from the 5 kit boxing which I was unable to resist buying 😁. I know what you mean about the Mk XV !! It went together fine and didn’t put me off building the others in the box although am currently doing a Jays Mk47 which is a little more tricky. 

Oh great I'm looking forward to the 47 with much interest. That kit looks proper involved, good luck with it! I had a rough stab at Special hobby's offering earlier this year, which was a bit of a faff but built into a nice model.

As to the 5 box... ah I'm sure I can convince myself to 'like' the XV..

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 30/10/2022 at 11:13, Pat C said:

You and ngantek have to learn to love, or at least like the Seafire XV! Only then can you find true peace and enlightenment. I rather like the Mk.XV because of the two distinct versions - the one with the A-frame arrestor hook, and the other with the stinger hook. Regarding the Jays (ex-Ventura) FR.47, I built the Ventura FR.47 many years ago. When I opened the box, I found what looked like a hopelessly rough-looking kit in swirly orange plastic! But with some work, it turned into a rather nice-looking model, especially by my standards, and so long as you realise this kit will take some good honest modelling, a nice FR.47 awaits you at the end. Is it my imagination, or have there been an unusually large number of Spitfire/Seafire WIPs and finished models showing up lately? Did I miss a Spitfire/Seafire GB? And if I did, shame on me!

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Additional comment added.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I too built the Ventura 47 yonks ago and I got a very satisfying result but as you say a lot of work was needed to hew it into shape!

Nowt wrong with a surfeit of Spitfires/Seafires! 😁

• Like 2